Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 45: DAL (24-21) @ POR (21-22) | 123-140 loss
(01-16-2023, 12:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If I had to guess, I think Dinwiddie best in an attacking role.    But he is not a guy to run an offense...especially one without other creators. 

Yes, I think he's a 2-guard who can handle the ball better than average for that position. He's not a PG and shouldn't be the lead ball-handler in any lineup. 

I've seen enough to know his catch and shoot game is much, much better than we expected when he came here. Maybe that's the Luka effect, maybe it's growth from Dinwiddie, probably it's both. So, we know he can play offense next to a ball-handler, and he's obviously skilled enough to be that secondary guy. He can bring the ball up, set up plays to give Luka a break, etc, etc. 

Not sure how to reconcile the defense - that's bad. 

If I'm the Mavs, I'm looking to actually replace Brunson. D'Angelo Russell excites me, but there are others. You put Dinwiddie in a rotation where he's always on the floor with either Luka or this newcomer and you might have last year's Dinwiddie back. Maybe not, because there's no way they're getting someone as good as Brunson. Lowry, LaVert, Russell, LaVine...all of these names make some sense when you examine the problem through this lens, imho, though some much more than others. 

And frankly (this is where I'll lose most of you), I think Luka/actual playmaker/THJ is far, far superior to Luka/Dinwiddie/THJ, so if it were me I wouldn't JUST be shopping THJ. I'd be fine with substituting Dinwiddie in any deal that netted me a real, live playmaker who could play off ball (including moving it, not just shooting) and also run the offense (which includes more than just some iso ability). Sure, you'd only have two if you moved Dinwiddie for that guy, but from my seat you only have one right now, so that's still a ton of potential improvement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
We should be shopping anyone not named Luka or Hardy if we can extract value out of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
In the 5 games without Luka playing we have a defensive rating of 123.8.  Sick

No wonder our defense is approaching bottom 5 status this year. Luka is having the anchor the defense and the offense
Like Reply
(01-16-2023, 01:19 PM)cow Wrote: We should be shopping anyone not named Luka or Hardy if we can extract value out of them.

Maybe, but I highly doubt that's what they're doing. And if they are, I bet the "value" they're looking for is different that what you mean.
Like Reply
(01-16-2023, 12:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The thing is, even though he's starting, he IS still the lead ball-handler of the second unit. So, why isn't it working as well this season? That's the question. Is it simply because he's starting...

...or is it because those minutes don't have Jalen Brunson on the floor anymore?

Because our second unit is trash. Having possibly the only positive defenders on the team injured will do that. Also Dinwiddie is a guy who needs to be clearly told his role, he explained when he joined the team, that it's maybe the primary is why he had so many issues with the Wizards. His current role is literally the second option after Luka, so he attempts to carry that out.
Like Reply
(01-16-2023, 01:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: And frankly (this is where I'll lose most of you), I think Luka/actual playmaker/THJ is far, far superior to Luka/Dinwiddie/THJ, so if it were me I wouldn't JUST be shopping THJ. I'd be fine with substituting Dinwiddie in any deal that netted me a real, live playmaker who could play off ball 

I'm with you on this.
Luka is the only player on this team that dictates the flow of the offense.
Without him the offense is in shambles.

Dinwiddie's forte is scoring.
If you force him to be a facilitator, he is decent, good even for stretches -- but his instincts are more tuned into scoring.

A couple of reasons on why I think Din isn't play making like a PG:
  • He doesn't trust his team mates -- and it's hard to blame him when RB, Bertans and THJ are laying bricks. He has that air of superiority in him that his ISO's are the best way for the team to score sans Luka.
  • Him calling his number is by design. We can all thank Kidd for his un-imaginative offense for this. I'm not sure if it's pure ineptness but it's clear for most of us that the strategy of letting Din get a free reign like Luka isn't working. Is it too much to ask for the coach to design proper and effective plays for a non-Luka PG?
I'd like to upgrade from Dinwiddie, I really do. But I'm finding difficulty on who the Mavs can get in place of him.

A player like.. maybe a B+ in playmaking to SD's C+.
The same player who should be at least be a C+ to SD's B+ in driving to the basket.
A player who should at least match or even be just below SD's B+ in outside shooting.
And finally a player who could at least be a C+ to SD's F in defense.

I might be wrong on SD's evaluation but what sticks out is his bad D and absent playmaking (he is able but doesn't want to).

However..  even if the Mavs get to trade Dinwiddie, whoever the Mavs get -- I think Kidd would find a way to mis-use the new guy.
Like Reply