Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 43: DAL (24-19) @ LAL (19-23) | 119-115 2OT win
(01-13-2023, 01:20 AM)Mavs03 Wrote: If Wood started from Game 1, Dallas easily could have had more wins on their ledger and been a top 2 team in the West

Yep.
Like Reply
Seriously thought this game was over when the Flagrant on Westbrook resulted in a tie game... 

Not a great win, but put it in the books and go get a split with Portland.
Like Reply
THJ adds two more drawn charges to his total. Once in a lifetime opportunity for him to lead the league in a stat category.
Like Reply
Luka has been shooting tech FTs for a while now. Ever since that game where he had a meltdown at the FT line and worked on shooting them right after. He got better for a bit, starting to fall back again.
Like Reply
Mavs03 I agree wholeheartedly.
Like Reply
Kidd is turning into Thibs 2.0. Despite double OT the Lakers only had two guys playing 40+ minutes. Westbrook and LBJ.

Mavs...

Luka 53
SD 51
THJ 48
Wood 48
SD 47

Entire bench combined for 43 minutes.

If we are talking about injuries and the decline of guys like Bullock or DFS that´s something to keep an eye on. Thibs managed to run the Bulls into the ground. Rose, Deng and Noah were never the same.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(01-13-2023, 01:04 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: "It's interesting how stupid the Mavs are at times. They played the first quarter and had the big lead, when they were running and gunning. And then they won they game. The reason why? They took the ball out of Luka's hands. Why don't they do that more often? That is the perfect example of why they are a mediocre team. Luka don't have to make every play.. Can you imagine if the Mavs actually gave the ball to someone else once in awhile? They gotta play faster."

He's right. When Dinwiddie brought it up the court, they didn't blitz Luka. The ball will eventually get back to him, but he's playing more off the ball.
Like Reply
(01-13-2023, 01:30 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kidd is turning into Thibs 2.0. Despite double OT the Lakers only had two guys playing 40+ minutes. Westbrook and LBJ.

Mavs...

Luka 53
SD 51
THJ 48
Wood 48
SD 47

Super concerning.
Like Reply
(01-13-2023, 01:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Comparing their statlines is difficult. Dirk´s prime was in one of the slowest and most defensive minded eras in league history and he played a completly different style. Didn´t need the ball to make an impact. If you look at the offensive numbers of Dirk and a cast of role players he had them among the best in the league each year. If you look at his +/- numbers he is levels above Luka. Reality of the 00s Mavs was that the non DIrk minutes were worse than the non Luka minutes this year.

Dirk was great no doubt, but Luka and Tatum have been swapping off the lead in RPM this year (Luka will probably finish first I think), so he’s no slouch on plus minus for whatever that stat is worth.  Dirk had an opportunity to play on a roster with a fellow NBA HOFer,  a 4 time all star, a DPOY, and a sixth man of the year and led them to a title. I just hope Luka has an opportunity to play with a supporting cast of half that quality some day soon.  The Mavs will be invincible.
Like Reply
(01-13-2023, 01:21 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Seriously thought this game was over when the Flagrant on Westbrook resulted in a tie game... 

Not a great win, but put it in the books and go get a split with Portland.

As bad as Portland is playing, they can get both. Dame had 50, but they lost their 5th straight 119-113 ,to Cleveland.
Like Reply
(01-13-2023, 01:34 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Dirk was great no doubt, but Luka and Tatum have been swapping off the lead in RPM this year (Luka will probably finish first I think), so he’s no slouch on plus minus for whatever that stat is worth.  Dirk had an opportunity to play on a roster with a fellow NBA HOFer,  a 4 time all star, a DPOY, and a sixth man of the year and led them to a title. I just hope Luka has an opportunity to play with a supporting cast of half that quality some day soon.  The Mavs will be invincible.

Not talking about RPM, or RAPM (Dirk lead the league in multiple seasons). Simply stating the fact that in many of his prime seasons the Mavs were outscored by a decent margin when he was on the bench (worse than anything Luka is facing this season). Of course he also had a couple of decent casts but your list of accolades isn´t painting the real picture. He either played with them before they entered their prime (Nash, Chandler) or when they were close to retirement (Kidd, Marion). Just like it makes no sense to list KP as an allstar teammate when he never performed like an allstar next to Luka.

Big picture the Mavs have been blessed with two all time great talents. And they have done a bad job building around them. Dirk bailed them out and with an all time great playoff run and some luck he managed to overcome the odds and at least win once.
I had high hopes that the Mavs wouldn´t repeat their mistakes but so far it looks even worse. And I highly doubt that Luka is as loyal as Dirk. Completly different personalities. One entered the NBA and was ready to leave a few games into his first season. Was never a big media personality. The other has been a superstar at any level and basically doesn´t know what it means to lose or to take a step back.
Like Reply
(01-13-2023, 01:36 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: As bad as Portland is playing, they can get both. Dame had 50, but they lost their 5th straight 119-113 ,to Cleveland.

Expecting Luka to sit on Sunday though.
Like Reply
I think Hardaway is playing hard.  I think he is really working on defense.   Although games like last night is why he is such and odd fit with this current roster.    We are so dependent on him to be a reliable and efficient shooter.   When he is not, it really stands out.  The defense by the Lakers was putrid last night, but in a playoff series when a good defense limits Hardaway's good looks it makes our dependency on him really stick out.  

First, our lack of creation just stands out.   It is pretty apparent leading an offense is not Dinwiddie's strong suite.   He should be in an attacker role and play off a lead guard.  Second, when Luka misses games this team has no chance.  Would it be better to replace Hardaway with someone who can  create better?   Third, this team really needs to give Luka more minutes to rest.   The issue is they really struggle with this when he sits.   

I am not sure he is available, but a guy like Conley solves a lot of the issues above.   The age is concerning, but it helps balance out our roster.  I would prefer a wing who can create, but those types of players will probably not be available to us this trade deadline.
Like Reply
The bench in the second with Din, Hardy/Frank, Bertans, Bullock and Powell is nasty.   That bench is going to have very little success.    I thought we should have mixed up our lineups a little more.  We are so limited now.

I would have preferred more time for Frank and Hardy last night.
Like Reply
(01-13-2023, 10:55 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The bench in the second with Din, Hardy/Frank, Bertans, Bullock and Powell is nasty.   That bench is going to have very little success.    I thought we should have mixed up our lineups a little more.  We are so limited now.

I would have preferred more time for Frank and Hardy last night.

This is where we feel the hurt of missing all our guys more than anywhere else.
Like Reply
Double overtime to scrape out a win against a team that wasn't good when they were healthy.  Hooray?
Like Reply
https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.h...0022200630

When the NBA has to admit that the refs missed seven calls and made one wrong call in the last minutes of the game.
Like Reply