Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUGGEST WAYS CUBAN CAN GENERATE MORE REVENUE
Mark is becoming a clever spendthrift.  Blowing up the 2011 championship team was reminiscent of Sterling or Sarver.  Will Mark have the skill set to avoid the luxury tax in 2022-23?  You betcha!  Like the NFL's George Halas, Mark "throws nickels around like manhole covers."

But, what if Mark took the opposite approach and found ways to generate enough revenue that he could player shop with the Ballmers, Lacobs and Gubers of the NBA world?  How would he go about it?  What can Mark do to bring in the funding to actually compete in the modern NBA?
Like Reply
Well, if he created a state of the art trade machine, charged $1.99 per to create trades and promised to review and respond to each one submitted, I'm almost positive he'd cover his luxury tax bill on Hardaway ideas alone.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, dynamicalVoid, Mavs2021, omahen
Like Reply
Mark can generate revenue like crazy.

Make parking now 69.99 instead of $35. 

Charge 20.11 a ticket to view the Dirk statue and take a commemorative special limited edition special photo with it. 

BYOB: Yes you heard it, bring your own ball! Bring your own NBA basketball to the game and be able to shoot 1 half court shot pre game. Cost? $2011 per throw. 

Have your chance to be taken on a special behind the scenes look of the Mavericks business office. Take a gander at the exclusive areas where one of the most scandalous sexual harassment cases occurred under Cuban! See Pants DJ legendary work area. Enjoy a special recreation of HR's coverup. And don't forget to take a looky-loo at a diorama of Ussery's personal text messages to the girls! Name your price. 

Play 1 on 1 with Cuban himself, except when you arrive Cuban will be at a Shark Tank filming and you automatically lose. Cost? Plan Powder.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
He could sell the team 
Well I guess that's more "profit"
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
If he cleans my couch there is probably some spare change he could have.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(01-09-2023, 10:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, if he created a state of the art trade machine, charged $1.99 per to create trades and promised to review and respond to each one submitted, I'm almost positive he'd cover his luxury tax bill on Hardaway ideas alone.

I think that is an awesome idea. AI he loves so much, could generate "Cubans" responses on the trade machine.

But I guess Cuban would prefer to create Mavrelo Ballovic or whatever was that absurd thing from a season or two ago called...
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-09-2023, 10:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, if he created a state of the art trade machine, charged $1.99 per to create trades and promised to review and respond to each one submitted, I'm almost positive he'd cover his luxury tax bill on Hardaway ideas alone.

how about a museum of Mavs trades/draft picks:

-The crack pipe referenced in the Devin Harris/Jason Kidd trade
-The Howard Eisely trade spreadsheet
-The scouting report that lead us to draft Satnam Singh
-Who was arguing to draft Bernard James over Draymond Green
-A who done it puzzle on the fizzled Goran Dragic trade confusion with the Heat
-The Chandler Parsons signed contract
-Nash back X-rays

-
[-] The following 5 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, F Gump, KillerLeft, omahen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-09-2023, 10:42 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: Mark is becoming a clever spendthrift.  Blowing up the 2011 championship team was reminiscent of Sterling or Sarver.  Will Mark have the skill set to avoid the luxury tax in 2022-23?  You betcha!  Like the NFL's George Halas, Mark "throws nickels around like manhole covers."

But, what if Mark took the opposite approach and found ways to generate enough revenue that he could player shop with the Ballmers, Lacobs and Gubers of the NBA world?  How would he go about it?  What can Mark do to bring in the funding to actually compete in the modern NBA?

Nah.  I don't agree with your premise.

Cuban:

Net worth $4.6b

Bought Mavericks for $285m, now worth 10x that??

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/10/billiona...20lifetime.

I think the only reason he doesn't overspend on salaries is that he wants to win, and recognizes that he has to get value from each player to field a winner.

If the team is mediocre, should he really be paying luxury tax?
Like Reply
I am willing to take over as GM, coach or president of BB operations. Or all of them in one role as the newly created supreme ruler of Mavs basketball. And I am not even asking for seven figure income. Would save millions in salary.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-10-2023, 11:12 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Nah.  I don't agree with your premise.

Cuban:

Net worth $4.6b

Bought Mavericks for $285m, now worth 10x that??

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/10/billiona...20lifetime.

I think the only reason he doesn't overspend on salaries is that he wants to win, and recognizes that he has to get value from each player to field a winner.

Or is the team mediocre because he is refusing to pay big money. Letting some of the best players walk for nothing has been a trademark of the post 2011 Mavs. Started with Chandler. With Brunson as the most recent example.
Cuban thought he was smarter than anyone else and expected the new CBA to prevent owners from paying multi year tax. Was the perfect scenario. He got his ring by outspending the rest of the league. And now no one would be able to do the same in the future. But he didn´t consider that among billionaires he isn´t at the top of the food chain.
There are guys like Balmer that simply play in a different league. Or smart business man like Lacob that recognized the once in a life time opportunity to build a money printing revenue machine that makes up for all time high luxury tax bills.
Like Reply
(01-10-2023, 11:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am willing to take over as GM, coach or president of BB operations. Or all of them in one role as the newly created supreme ruler of Mavs basketball. And I am not even asking for seven figure income. Would save millions in salary.

You'd make a good one, pal!
Like Reply
My motivation for starting this somewhat facetious thread is remembering something Mark said twenty years ago after buying the Mavs, something like:  "Don't worry about revenue.  It's my job to generate revenue."

That statement or something very close to it has lingered in the back of my mind ever since.

wab
Like Reply
(01-10-2023, 06:58 AM)omahen Wrote: But I guess Cuban would prefer to create Mavrelo Ballovic or whatever was that absurd thing from a season or two ago called...

I always took Mavrello as a petty shot at Ross Perot Jr and Frank Zachanelli.

(01-10-2023, 11:22 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Or is the team mediocre because he is refusing to pay big money.
Letting some of the best players walk for nothing has been a trademark of the post 2011 Mavs. Started with Nash. With Brunson as the most recent example. 
Cuban thought he was smarter than anyone else and expected the new CBA to prevent owners from paying multi year tax. Was the perfect scenario. He got his ring by outspending the rest of the league. And now no one would be able to do the same in the future. But he didn´t consider that among billionaires he isn´t at the top of the food chain.

FIFY
Like Reply
He could put Satnam Singh jerseys back on sale.
Maybe a JJ Barea bobblehead with an Andrew Bynum jersey on it.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-10-2023, 10:04 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: -The scouting report that lead us to draft Satnam Singh-

What's a scouting report?  /cubes
Like Reply
(01-10-2023, 11:12 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think the only reason he doesn't overspend on salaries is that he wants to win, and recognizes that he has to get value from each player to field a winner.

Someone following the Mavs actually believes this with what we've paid Powell, THJ, and McGee, while letting Brunson walk?

via GIPHY

It's bad talent evaluation and bad roster decisions.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • omahen, WildArkieBoy
Like Reply