Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 41: DAL (23-18) @ OKC (18-22) | 109-120 loss
Not a great Hardy performance, but I am glad he got minutes.  Reached a few times and was slow getting to the spot to try to get a charge, but at least he tried.  Should be good things to highlight with him.

Not sure if the spacing was poor or if he was just making some bad decisions to attack…maybe both.  That will also be good things to review with him.
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 10:05 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not a great Hardy performance, but I am glad he got minutes.  Reached a few times and was slow getting to the spot to try to get a charge, but at least he tried.  Should be good things to highlight with him.

Not sure if the spacing was poor or if he was just making some bad decisions to attack…maybe both.  That will also be good things to review with him.

Felt like a lot of the time he was sitting in the corner being ignored, or being given the ball right at the end of the shot clock, particularly when Dinwiddie was in the game with him. You need to either play him with a ball dominant guy who isn't basically a black hole on offense and will look for him, or feature him a lot more as the ball handler to see the best of him I would think.
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 10:05 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not sure if the spacing was poor or if he was just making some bad decisions to attack…maybe both.

He got a lot more pressure tonight than the other night and didn't handle it well. Dribbled right into crowds several times. 

But, as you say, it's good he's getting minutes. All indications are that he'll learn from it.
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 10:05 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Reached a few times and was slow getting to the spot to try to get a charge, but at least he tried.  Should be good things to highlight with him.

Two of those reaches were him trying to help after OKC players easily blew by Bullock and THJ.  He did have that weird drive where he and Wood collided.  He probably made some mistakes as it felt like both Wood and Dinwiddie were frustrated with him.
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 10:08 PM)Dundalis Wrote: Felt like a lot of the time he was sitting in the corner being ignored, or being given the ball right at the end of the shot clock, particularly when Dinwiddie was in the game with him. You need to either play him with a ball dominant guy who isn't basically a black hole on offense and will look for him, or feature him a lot more as the ball handler to see the best of him I would think.
Yes. Give Hardy some feature time and see what he can do. Dinwiddie is better at ISO and catch and shoot or attacking after a Luka double team. He’s good next to Luka but we need different when Luka is not in the game.
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 10:08 PM)Dundalis Wrote: Felt like a lot of the time he was sitting in the corner being ignored, or being given the ball right at the end of the shot clock, particularly when Dinwiddie was in the game with him. You need to either play him with a ball dominant guy who isn't basically a black hole on offense and will look for him, or feature him a lot more as the ball handler to see the best of him I would think.

this 1000%

get THJ and Dinwiddie out of the game when you have guys like Green, Frank, Wood and Hardy trying to show what they can do.

I dont understand why Dinwiddie and THJ arent told to get those guys involved.  And...I know its not because the other teams defense knows what you are trying to do.  They can still get these guys involved if the other team knows.
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 10:22 PM)cow Wrote: Two of those reaches were him trying to help after OKC players easily blew by Bullock and THJ.  He did have that weird drive where he and Wood collided.  He probably made some mistakes as it felt like both Wood and Dinwiddie were frustrated with him.
We had that olè perimeter defense all night. Need better players who can stay in front of their man
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 10:27 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: this 1000%

get THJ and Dinwiddie out of the game when you have guys like Green, Frank, Wood and Hardy trying to show what they can do.

I dont understand why Dinwiddie and THJ arent told to get those guys involved.  And...I know its not because the other teams defense knows what you are trying to do.  They can still get these guys involved if the other team knows.

Dinwiddie yes, THJ is the definition of an offensive black hole. I wouldn't bother asking him to do anything facilitating wise, as soon as he puts the ball on the floor anything other than shooting is not an option, not that he has the vision or passing skills to do anything else. One of the things that make me cringe like nothing else is seeing THJ put the ball on the floor for anything other than a one bounce repositioning pull up, as it's almost a guaranteed horrible shot that doesn't go in. He should be banned from driving into the lane for the rest of his career IMO.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • burekemde, dynamicalVoid
Like Reply
OKC will be a handful pretty soon. This Mavs team is designed to function only around Luka. They’re not winning any kind of even slightly difficult game without him.
Like Reply
(01-08-2023, 11:42 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: OKC will be a handful pretty soon. This Mavs team is designed to function only around Luka. They’re not winning any kind of even slightly difficult game without him.

Actually, they're a handful now. They have beat good teams this season. All they need is a big, and they have one when Holmgrem comes back next year.
Like Reply