Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
THJ (+21, 26 pts, 1 ast, 6 rbd)
14.29%
3 14.29%
RB (-8, 14 pts, 1 stl, 4 ast, 3 rbd)
0%
0 0%
Wood (+16, 30 pts, 2 blk, 4 stl, 7 ast, 8 rbd)
76.19%
16 76.19%
Luka (+24, 32 pts, 2 stl, 9 ast, 9 rbd)
9.52%
2 9.52%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 34 DIRKIE: Winner Wood (76%)
Brick 
Who was the player of the game who elevated his game to help the team win?
Like Reply
This is a tough one. It was a good thing that Tim was such a good boy this year that Santa showed up at halftime and gave him a flamethrower. Luka was great again

I don't think you can not give it to Wood with that statline though
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • Mapka
Like Reply
Wood was outstanding. A true difference maker on both ends. This is the way forward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Pay him. Pay that man his money.
Like Reply
Can more games be played in that time? Wink

Wood was fantastic. Hope he get new contract and becomes regular starter.

PS: Merry christams mffl's Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MAVS-SLO's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
When Lebron is getting run at the five, you should do work.  THJ gets my vote.
Like Reply
Luka with another ho hum game.  Christ!...mas.  Not even a double double.  I don't know why we allow him to play.  Off to the G league for Luka!

THJ with a hot and cold game.  Or actually...a cold...and then hot later on.  We simply can't rely on hot and cold play...as a second or third option.  Heck...not even as a fourth option.  It's simply a flash of...fool's gold.  Sell to the first tenderfoot who comes by...

There you go.  Four players in double figures...for the Mavs.  You gotta have four players in double figures...at least...to win consistently.  But it's gotta be consistent...all the way around.  LAL had only three players in double figures.  And that's with LJ, arguably one of the best players of the last...ice age.

Christian Wood.  I think...with a little time, patience, and effort...CW CAN be a second or third option--on offence.  And he's not doing too shabby on defense.  I give my Dirkie to CW...he earned it.
Like Reply
I would like to cast my vote for Russell Westbrook. While I am normally not a fan of raw +/-, have to say his -30 in 24 minutes impressed the heck outta me. Notably, Lakers won the 24 he sat by a margin of 21.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 12:11 AM)The Jom Wrote: I would like to cast my vote for Russell Westbrook. While I am normally not a fan of raw +/-, have to say his -30 in 24 minutes impressed the heck outta me. Notably, Lakers won the 24 he sat by a margin of 21.

You can't make this suggestion without also nominating Darvin Ham. "Let's see how our defense does when Westbrook guards Luka, oh Westbrook is getting burned, let's try playing Westbrook at center."
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
I gave it to Wood. He did play well.

I do think the way this team plays overall won't lead to anything. Over reliance on the three makes the variance too wide for my comfort. This game was the prime example of this. 43 points in the first half alone, with everyone looking sluggish. 3rd quarter-51 pts and Mavs look unbeatable. 

I don't like watching games where the team is just trying to gamble every game on threes. It's lazy basketball and a disservice to Luka who can create in so many other more creative ways.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 12:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I gave it to Wood. He did play well.

I do think the way this team plays overall won't lead to anything. Over reliance on the three makes the variance too wide for my comfort. This game was the prime example of this. 43 points in the first half alone, with everyone looking sluggish. 3rd quarter-51 pts and Mavs look unbeatable. 

I don't like watching games where the team is just trying to gamble every game on threes. It's lazy basketball and a disservice to Luka who can create in so many other more creative ways.
Funny how we have one of the most creative minds (on the court) coaching our players and this is what we come up with.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 01:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Funny how we have one of the most creative minds (on the court) coaching our players and this is what we come up with.

It does make me wonder if this is how Luka prefers to play...

Although there is a mountain of evidence showing that he can play in almost any system dating back to Real and more recently the Slovenian National team. 

Our offense last year was more varied, though we chucked a bunch of threes then too. We're lacking movement. The only difference from last year to this year on the staff is Kokoskov and I don't think that he alone was the reason this team could run more than 3 plays.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 01:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It does make me wonder if this is how Luka prefers to play...

Although there is a mountain of evidence showing that he can play in almost any system dating back to Real and more recently the Slovenian National team. 

Our offense last year was more varied, though we chucked a bunch of threes then too. We're lacking movement. The only difference from last year to this year on the staff is Kokoskov and I don't think that he alone was the reason this team could run more than 3 plays.

Ironically our offense is actually better this year for as much as people complain about it.

This season: Off Rtg: 114.8, 9th place
Last season: Off Rtg: 112.8, 15th place

The real issue is not having a top 10 defense anymore. This is one reason I think DFS and Reggie's defensive regressions have been what actually hurt us more than anything
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 04:46 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Ironically our offense is actually better this year for as much as people complain about it.

The real issue is not having a top 10 defense anymore. This is one reason I think DFS and Reggie's defensive regressions have been what actually hurt us more than anything

Post All Star last year the Mavs were averaging 117.1 on Offense and giving up 113.9 on D.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 04:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Post All Star last year the Mavs were averaging 117.1 on Offense and giving up 113.9 on D.
We’re not post allstar this year yet.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 04:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Post All Star last year the Mavs were averaging 117.1 on Offense and giving up 113.9 on D.

That post All Star defensive rating is even worse than our current one, what that says is even if Christian Wood is defensively challenged it's still better defensively than running three guards.

DFS averaged 13.3 points on 44.5% from deep after the all star break last year.

Even Bullock averaged 9.6 points after the All Star break, only 35.3% from deep but still noticeably better than what he's given us so far this year.

So I still blame those two's regression a lot for our disappointing start
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 04:46 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Ironically our offense is actually better this year for as much as people complain about it.

I'm still so shocked by DFS's overall regression
This was his perfect opportunity to be the clear cut 2nd best player and he wilted
Like Reply
It was a tough choice, but I voted for Hardaway, because he had 0 turnovers and 6 rebounds to go with a hot 3rd quarter which is where we won the game.
Like Reply
[Image: Fk6hX4LWYAEzSkn?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 06:01 PM)gomavs Wrote: It was a tough choice, but I voted for Hardaway, because he had 0 turnovers and 6 rebounds to go with a hot 3rd quarter which is where we won the game.

The turnovers was something I overlooked but gave a pass on since Timmy just caught and shot every time. 

He did go supernova though. He definitely deserved the dirkie. I gave it to Wood though because I want him to keep defending.
Like Reply