Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
THJ (+0, 21 pts, 1 ast, 3 rbd)
25.00%
5 25.00%
Wood (+2, 12 pts, 2 blk, 1 ast, 5 rbd)
0%
0 0%
SD (+1, 19 pts, 1 stl, 1 blk, 3 ast, 4 rbd)
10.00%
2 10.00%
Luka (+7, 25 pts, 3 stl, 10 ast, 9 rbd)
55.00%
11 55.00%
DP (+3, 10 pts, 2 stl, 6 rbd)
10.00%
2 10.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME 32 DIRKIE: Winner Luka (55%) | Runner-up THJ (25%)
Brick 
Who was the player of the game who elevated his game to help the team win?
Like Reply
Maybe it's wrong but I expect these numbers from THJ at this point.  25/9/10 with no complaining from Luka gets my vote for this game.
Like Reply
Hard choice tonight. 

Late game, with three shooters out there to space for Luka/Wood and the Mavs finally showing life on offense, Minnesota made an adjustment to cheat off of Bullock, which was the correct coaching call. Fortunately, Bullock responded by burying two, consecutive 3's to make them pay for that tactic. It's probably the biggest reason for Dallas' success down the stretch, and I would've considered voting for him based on those two possessions alone. He also had about four straight possessions on defense where he bothered Ant quite a bit after not guarding him for most of the night.

I think Luka deserves some credit for this game, as do THJ and Wood, who had some GREAT moments of defensive center play to go along with his spurts of good offense tonight.

Ultimately, I voted for Powell, whose defense and energy kept the Mavs connected during stretches when they couldn't buy a bucket, and whose aggressive, hard rolling allowed the Mavs to break the trap defense, finally, in the second half.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Mapka
Like Reply
I'm honestly not sure who to give it to tonight, no one really stood out all that much. So by default I give it to Luka for the near triple double.
Like Reply
THJ let us pull away.
Like Reply
25 9 and 10 is kind of blah for Luka but I can't really think of anyone else who deserves it except for maybe Bullock for timing
Like Reply
Luka and Kidd finished the game, bravo.

I gave it to Tim for winning the jump ball after he let them tie him up.  Smile

DP had a nice 5 minute stretch.
Like Reply
I want to vote for defense. Top 3 defenders out this game, and the Mavs still hold an NBA team under 100. While featuring Hardaway, Wood, Dinwiddie, and Walker. That’s amazing. For all the shit Kidd takes here, some credit is due for this accomplishment. 

But given recent issues, I’m going with the dude who hit 8 of 9 from the charity stripe. That’s a big deal. And it is well above the norm.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
Luka basically got solid play from nearly everyone in his supporting cast, though no one besides him was really close to great (Powell was the closest). But it was enough.  Nice effort overall. The shot distribution was excellent.
Like Reply
Luka definitely deserved it, but I'm going to give it to Dinwiddie for his heady play and timely buckets. Dude was rock solid out there.

2nd place to Luka.

Third tied to everyone else who decided to actually be NBA basketball players tonight.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I had several Dirkie candidates--Luka, Powell, SD, (bite my tongue) Hardaway.

Luka was one rebound away from a triple double--but he damn sure had to work for it.  I'm not certain Luka is being used in the best possible way.  The offense is much too predictable.

And you can predict, with some certainty, that when Hardaway touches the ball he will shoot...flash of fools gold.  I'm on the trade him wagon.  Trade him for more than a bag of chips though...

Powell did work hard when it was needed to keep the team in the game.

Hey!...RB finally scored a bucket, or two.

In the end, Luka is the best player on the team, but I will give my Dirke to SD.
Like Reply
To me, this was the way Luka should be playing. He should average a triple double, but with 25 ppg as opposed to 32 that he’s averaging now (and not due to inefficiency). The 3 steals is what catches my eye the most in that stat line too. 

Dirkie to Luka because this game SHOULD be the norm for him. Untighten that grip on the need to always have the ball and let some of your teammates shine a bit more. Don’t let them play hot potato with you when you pass to them. Much more exciting basketball to watch, and he’ll still be the best player on the team/court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 07:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: To me, this was the way Luka should be playing. He should average a triple double, but with 25 ppg as opposed to 32 that he’s averaging now (and not due to inefficiency). The 3 steals is what catches my eye the most in that stat line too. 

Ok, so you're basing this on results (the counting-style stats at the end of the game, which say more people were involved). Great. 

But honestly, the only two portions of the game where the ball moved were the beginning and ending, with the shots actually going in during the ending. The rest of this game was worse than ever, offensively. 

Long story short: I agree with you, but I feel the need to point out that it wasn't simply a light switch Luka decided to flip. He was finally out there with Wood, surrounded by shooters, AND this was one of the games (they're becoming rare now) when he was double-teamed and trapped most of the time.
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 10:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, so you're basing this on results (the counting-style stats at the end of the game, which say more people were involved). Great. 

But honestly, the only two portions of the game where the ball moved were the beginning and ending, with the shots actually going in during the ending. The rest of this game was worse than ever, offensively. 

Long story short: I agree with you, but I feel the need to point out that it wasn't simply a light switch Luka decided to flip. He was finally out there with Wood, surrounded by shooters, AND this was one of the games (they're becoming rare now) when he was double-teamed and trapped most of the time.

Four of Wood’s five made baskets and all three of Powell’s came off of the other team doubling the PG.  We tend to execute well on that when Wood, Powell or Green are the players setting the pick.  Otherwise…not so much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 11:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We tend to execute well on that when Wood, Powell or Green are the players setting the pick.  Otherwise…not so much.

Agree 100%
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 10:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, so you're basing this on results (the counting-style stats at the end of the game, which say more people were involved). Great. 

Ya, I used the stats to illustrate the point. The reasoning behind it is basically what you said.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 12:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ya, I used the stats to illustrate the point. The reasoning behind it is basically what you said.

Right, so to me, the step that's needed is to create a more inclusive offense even when Luka is not being trapped/doubled. It's gong to be tough because I'm sure he feels like taking somebody 1-on-1 is the team's best chance to score, and developing the kind of chemistry we're talking about, where the ball moves and everyone establishes rhythm, takes time, patience and continuity. 

But, don't get me wrong. The team improving at capitalizing off the 4 on 3's created when Luka gets trapped is certainly a positive development.
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
@"KillerLeft", let it be know that I can vote for THJ.
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 12:18 PM)cow Wrote: @"KillerLeft", let it be know that I can vote for THJ.

And on a night when I didn't even vote for him, at that! 

You can't see me, but I just wiped a tear of pride off of my cheek.
Like Reply
The only reason I question whether Luka is being used most effectively is that he has to work so hard at it.  There is no doubt that he is the best player on the floor...but even he can be ground down.  We need a strong, rested, injury free Luka at the end of the year--not a worn down husk of a great player.  

The supporting cast must step up--they are all we have right now.  This is also why Maxi is so important--he did so many things well enough to make a difference--and why Powell is more important than most people think.  DFS is also in this group, but I think he has something else on his mind...

Other players come to mind...
Like Reply