Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 31: DAL (15-16) @ MIN (16-15) | 106-116 loss
(12-20-2022, 12:26 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Was JB holding the chemistry of this team together? Was he their real leader? They look rudderless.

KL was pointing this out in the summer and I largely dismissed him. I never thought that Brunson alone would've been the difference of 11-15 wins just in terms of chemistry and team leadership. 

I do mainly blame the coach for this though. How can you let your team get this bad? No sense of culture or leadership. Luka also takes some blame here.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...39361?s=20&t=eoYEIW2EQ-kslgsog6waag

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...02401?s=20&t=eoYEIW2EQ-kslgsog6waag

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...23752?s=20&t=eoYEIW2EQ-kslgsog6waag
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 01:18 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: KL was pointing this out in the summer and I largely dismissed him. I never thought that Brunson alone would've been the difference of 11-15 wins just in terms of chemistry and team leadership. 

I do mainly blame the coach for this though. How can you let your team get this bad? No sense of culture or leadership. Luka also takes some blame here.

You simply assign too much value to intangibles like chemistry and team leadership. I don´t deny that Brunson was an important part of the culture/leadership and that it matters at the high-end of the discussion (championship or not), but making or missing the play-offs is simply a TALENT issue and the loss of Brunson´s basketball talent was enormous.

1. A lot of teams in the West are healthier than last season. The Kings (30), Blazers (27) and Pelicans (36) were far below 0.500 win teams last year. Now they look like they could all win 50 games. Only projected counter-demise (Jazz) has not happened so far.
2. We are the only team in the whole league that (in)voluntarily gave up their 2nd best player. The next highest paid free agent thath changed teams was Malik Monk at barely above the MLE.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mavsdraft/status/160...61858?s=46&t=iO6C0kKhFUYRw7j4WcVbMw
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 07:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsdraft/status/160...61858?s=46&t=iO6C0kKhFUYRw7j4WcVbMw

If anyone wants to know why THJ has career high defensive +/- numbers. That is the answer.

And that´s the part where I don´t buy the Bullock will turn it around in january narrative. Last season his shot was off as well but he was having a positive impact on offense from day one on. This season he might be the worst player on the roster on both ends. Shooting can come and go. But his lateral quickness isn´t going to improve over night.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 12:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: One of the worst losses of the season. Crazy.

Say what you want though, the refs were abhorrent. Luka getting thrown out for that? When Ant was putting on a theatrical show in the first half? Ridiculous and inconsistent.

This team is gutless though. Kidd seems disconnected. Luka is frustrated and going through the motions. I hate watching this team.

I turned it off in the third quarter and joined my wife in another room in the middle of some freaking Hallmark Christmas movie.  It was that bad.  This team can be fun to watch when shots go down.  But, there are nights like last night where they look like the most inept team in the league.  Without Green (or Hardy) to root for, there just isn't any point watching a bunch of veterans go through the motions.

I agree with your point about Ant.  It was also Rodney Mott who gave Luka doubled tech in May of 2021 (happened to see it when looking for a highlight for this).  The highlight I saw from last night had the Minnesota announcers and they pointed out Luka was 1 of 8 against Jaden McDaniels.  Watching it the first time, I didn't think it was a foul.  Watching it again after I knew that was 'the play', he got McDaniels to move toward him ever so slightly.  It was pretty close depending on whose laundry you root for.  Hard to imagine what Luka could have said in a relatively calm manner that caused the double-tech.  One tech...absolutely.

Of course, the game was over well before that.  The beautiful D we've been getting out of Wood evaporated (DRating of 130).  Five TO's didn't help.  But he did hit his FT's and he did rebound well.  Can't put it all on him.  Offense looked like crap.  We didn't have an answer for the Luka double teams.  Dorian trying to do too much isn't pretty.  Reggie...absolutely nothing (do we really miss THJ that much?).  Much talk about what Brunson brought that we now miss.  One of the things I remember from last year was the beautiful brand of ball movement that happened when Luka sat.  If we are going to be mediocre, lets at least do it with a product that is fun to watch.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 08:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: do we really miss THJ that much?

Not sure if I buy into it but that is what +/- and on/off numbers are telling us. Starting five improved a lot when he joined it. Bench got worse. Overall he has the best on/off numbers on the squad (if we ignore garbage time cameos). With Green as the only regular rotation player that is close to him (+9.9 vs +9.8). Followed by Powell.

What is the takeaway? I don´t think THJ has been great. In this case I would focus on the off numbers that feature a lot of Bullock. Often paired with SD and/or DFS. Lineups that are performing terrible.

It´s not a coincidence that the best +/- performers on the squad are playing the same position as Bullock and McGee. Aren´t playing a lot of minutes next to them.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 08:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If we are going to be mediocre, lets at least do it with a product that is fun to watch.

Yup.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 09:43 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yup.

Yeah, they are boring to watch.  The body language is not great and I am growing less and less confident that this team can be a playoff threat.

Therefore, unless we get a Luka injury, here is my focus:

1) Decide on Wood.  If he is not in your long term plans, still play him a ton but we need to find a way to move him.  
2) Continued development of Josh Green
3) play at a faster pace with more movement
4) Give Jaden Hardy developmental minutes as the year goes on
5) Outside of Wood, I am not sure we have anything for a big move.  But can you move one of our role players for a player under 25 who has some upside?   For instance, Bullock for Cam Thomas???  Or how about a three way...Bullock to the Nets, Charlotte gets the Nets first (from Philly), Dallas gets PJ Washington.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 09:48 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, they are boring to watch.  The body language is not great and I am growing less and less confident that this team can be a playoff threat.

Therefore, unless we get a Luka injury, here is my focus:

1) Decide on Wood.  If he is not in your long term plans, still play him a ton but we need to find a way to move him.  
2) Continued development of Josh Green
3) play at a faster pace with more movement
4) Give Jaden Hardy developmental minutes as the year goes on
5) Outside of Wood, I am not sure we have anything for a big move.  But can you move one of our role players for a player under 25 who has some upside?   For instance, Bullock for Cam Thomas???  Or how about a three way...Bullock to the Nets, Charlotte gets the Nets first (from Philly), Dallas gets PJ Washington.

With all due respect, do we really think PJ Washington will be a difference-maker?  He's a good player, but the Mavs need one, but the path to acquiring a tag team partner for Luka, is messy.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 10:02 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: With all due respect, do we really think PJ Washington will be a difference-maker?  He's a good player, but the Mavs need one, but the path to acquiring a tag team partner for Luka, is messy.

No, I don't think he is.  Others are more familiar with his game/fit than me though.  I am just at the point of looking to move one of our near 30 year old role players for someone younger who may be a better fit moving forward.   I am not giving up firsts here.   Just trying to find a team looking for a win now veteran.  Although Bullock is not making himself very attractive at the moment.   

BTW, Naz Reid was on my list for a younger player with upside.  I believe he is a free agent after this year and Minny already has two highly paid big guys on their roster.   He would be one of the guys I would target if we had the MLE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 10:02 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: With all due respect, do we really think PJ Washington will be a difference-maker?  He's a good player, but the Mavs need one, but the path to acquiring a tag team partner for Luka, is messy.

Two options. Step by step. Slowly adding positive assets and developing them. Valueing every single asset and making moves to improve the roster. Even if it is a minor improvement. Even if it might take some time.
Or the Mavs way. Plan powder and all in trades. 

After they have tried their luck with capspace and big trades it might be time to go with a different approach.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
That game was painful to watch. One of the ugliest of the year. Here a few observations:
  • Luka deserved one tech but 2 techs and an ejection was overkill and that ref clearly has an agenda
  • Glad Kidd came out there to defend Luka but he looked so out of place and uninterested
  • McDaniels was all over Luka. He struggles with those longer athletic guys. The double teams frustrated him also
  • Wood got bodied on both ends of the court, all night
  • Bullock is trash and needs to be traded asap. His shot is off and his defense was nowhere to be found
  • McGee-put him on the Bullock train straight out of town
  • Bertans was on a heater. There has to be a way we can use him more. His 3 point shot is deadly
  • DFS is hurt so now we're forced to see even more of Bullock and Frankie
The T-Wolves out played us on all aspects. More hustle. More heart. More physicality. You would think we were on the 2nd night of a back to back and not them. We have injuries, but they were without KAT and Gobert. So guess what happens? They get 61 points from Austin Rivers, Naz Reid, and some guy named Jaylen Nowell. 

We are in trouble folks. This off season was a disaster and this roster wasn't good enough from the beginning. Now add the injuries of Maxi, Green, Powell, and DFS? This could get ugly quick.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 10:23 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: That game was painful to watch. One of the ugliest of the year. Here a few observations:
  • Luka deserved one tech but 2 techs and an ejection was overkill and that ref clearly has an agenda
  • Glad Kidd came out there to defend Luka but he looked so out of place and uninterested
  • McDaniels was all over Luka. He struggles with those longer athletic guys. The double teams frustrated him also
  • Wood got bodied on both ends of the court, all night
  • Bullock is trash and needs to be traded asap. His shot is off and his defense was nowhere to be found
  • McGee-put him on the Bullock train straight out of town
  • Bertans was on a heater. There has to be a way we can use him more. His 3 point shot is deadly
  • DFS is hurt so now we're forced to see even more of Bullock and Frankie
The T-Wolves out played us on all aspects. More hustle. More heart. More physicality. You would think we were on the 2nd night of a back to back and not them. We have injuries, but they were without KAT and Gobert. So guess what happens? They get 61 points from Austin Rivers, Naz Reid, and some guy named Jaylen Nowell. 

We are in trouble folks. This off season was a disaster and this roster wasn't good enough from the beginning. Now add the injuries of Maxi, Green, Powell, and DFS? This could get ugly quick.

What happened to DFS?  I hadn't heard.
Like Reply
Some numbers from Isaac at Locked On Mavs:

We lost the second quarter 36-14.

Minnesota scored 20 points in the paint.  We scored 4.

Minnesota scored 10 fast break points.  We scored 0.

Sadly, most of the damage occurred in the back half of the quarter with the starters back in.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 10:50 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What happened to DFS?  I hadn't heard.

Right Adductor strain. Looks like he's had some pain and may have made it worse by playing.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 10:07 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Two options. Step by step. Slowly adding positive assets and developing them. Valueing every single asset and making moves to improve the roster. Even if it is a minor improvement. Even if it might take some time.
Or the Mavs way. Plan powder and all in trades. 

After they have tried their luck with capspace and big trades it might be time to go with a different approach.

I’ll add one more thing to this.  The key is adding players who have a shot at being more than they are currently showing.  Naz Reid is an interesting name.  He’s only 23 and stuck behind all-stars.  Who knows what he’ll ever be (that’s why teams have pro scouting departments).  But, I like taking a shot on someone like him more than I do a guy in his 30’s.

Say what you wish about SD, but he was a 13 PER in DC.  He was a 19 here.  His WS/48 went from .058 to .182.  His per minute scoring went up 33% and his trips to the line went up 50%.  His 2% and 3% went from .310/.432 to .404/.568.  Those who hated the acquisition tended to focus on current season numbers.  Those of us who liked the acquisition looked at a more complete body of work to see what might be.  I think the same might apply to P J Washington, but who knows.  He’s posted some decent numbers at times.  So, we know it is possible.  Who knows why it isn’t happening this season, but his skill set isn’t that different than Maxi’s.  He’s not Jaylen Brown or O G Anunoby.  Just another incremental “step by step” move as you say.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
They failed with the plan powder big fish free agency approach. They failed with the mega trade for a superstar (Porzingis). 

They are failing with this approach of adding pieces slowly step by step(Bullock, McGee, Delon Wright, Josh Richardson, etc., etc.) 

What do we do now?
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 11:45 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: They failed
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 11:45 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: They failed with the plan powder big fish free agency approach. They failed with the mega trade for a superstar (Porzingis). 

They are failing with this approach of adding pieces slowly step by step(Bullock, McGee, Delon Wright, Josh Richardson, etc., etc.) 

What do we do now?

Stay away from players on the wrong side of 30. That´s a good starting point.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Nowitzki Way, rocky164
Like Reply