Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 31: DAL (15-16) @ MIN (16-15) | 106-116 loss
Naz Reid undrafted in 2019 and Jaylon Norwell went pick # 43.  I like Norwell as well.  I expect Minny to try to re-sign him pretty hard.  

Mavs had pick #37 in that draft.  They picked up some future seconds (which they pretty much gave away later) and moved back and picked Isaiah Roby at #45.  Roby to be truthful has stuck around the NBA.  

Pick #38 was Daniel Gafford, #43 Norwell, #44 Bol Bol, #46 Talen Horton Tucker #46, Jalen Mcdaniels (Charlotte) #52.

Mavs signed UDFA Josh Reeves after the draft.   Lou Dort was also UDFA, with Reid,  John Konchar & Max Strus.

It is fun looking back at old drafts.  It is amazing how certain teams stick out most years.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 12:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Naz Reid undrafted in 2019 and Jaylon Norwell went pick # 43.  I like Norwell as well.  I expect Minny to try to re-sign him pretty hard.  

Mavs had pick #37 in that draft.  They picked up some future seconds (which they pretty much gave away later) and moved back and picked Isaiah Roby at #45.  Roby to be truthful has stuck around the NBA.  

Pick #38 was Daniel Gafford, #43 Norwell, #44 Bol Bol, #46 Talen Horton Tucker #46, Jalen Mcdaniels (Charlotte) #52.

Mavs signed UDFA Josh Reeves after the draft.   Lou Dort was also UDFA, with Reid,  John Konchar & Max Strus.

It is fun looking back at old drafts.  It is amazing how certain teams stick out most years.

I love looking back at old drafts. i found myself doing it today, and was going to do a write up on the failures since drafting Luka. It was so depressing and deleted the draft about halfway through. 

But i did look at this 2019 draft and it was another example of bad asset management.  The Detroit trade was actually a good move at the time. Moved down 8 spots and picked up 2 future 2nd rounders. 

But to take Roby and get rid of him mid way through his rookie year was a bad move. Then i see we did nothing of substance with those 2nd rounders. 

Some good names in that 2nd round in '19. One you didnt mention was #48 Terrance Mann to the Clippers. I hate this guy, and Luka clearly hates this guy. But if he was on your team, you'd love him.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 11:14 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ll add one more thing to this.  The key is adding players who have a shot at being more than they are currently showing.  

I think the same might apply to P J Washington, but who knows.  He’s posted some decent numbers at times.  So, we know it is possible.  Who knows why it isn’t happening this season, but his skill set isn’t that different than Maxi’s.  He’s not Jaylen Brown or O G Anunoby.  Just another incremental “step by step” move as you say.

Below is from a Bleacher Report ranking of 2023 Free Agents before the current season.  So, the thinking on Washington prior to what we are seeing right now:

PJ Washington (Restricted)

PJ Washington has quietly averaged double figures and hit at least 36.5 percent of his three-point attempts in each of his three NBA seasons. As a floor-spacer alone, he'd be a valuable addition to plenty of teams.

But there's some versatility to his game that should have teams interested. No player in league history played at least 1,000 minutes in a season and matched or exceeded all of his marks for rebounds (6.9), assists (3.0), threes (2.2), steals (1.2) and blocks (1.2) per 75 possessions.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 10:02 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: With all due respect, do we really think PJ Washington will be a difference-maker?  He's a good player, but the Mavs need one, but the path to acquiring a tag team partner for Luka, is messy.
This statement makes me think you’re looking at this in a way that we need to make quick fix moves. If we can get a player like PJ who hasn’t finished developing, but has NBA talent, that is a huge win. Doesn’t matter if he is a difference maker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 03:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This statement makes me think you’re looking at this in a way that we need to make quick fix moves. If we can get a player like PJ who hasn’t finished developing, but has NBA talent, that is a huge win. Doesn’t matter if he is a difference maker.

Especially if we can get rid of Bullock in the process.  Win-win situation to rid ourselves of bullock and pick up a young nba talent.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 11:14 AM)Dan Wrote: Say what you wish about SD, but he was a 13 PER in DC.  He was a 19 here.  His WS/48 went from .058 to .182.  His per minute scoring went up 33% and his trips to the line went up 50%.  His 2% and 3% went from .310/.432 to .404/.568.  Those who hated the acquisition tended to focus on current season numbers.  Those of us who liked the acquisition looked at a more complete body of work to see what might be. 

I doubt many people's problem with the Dinwiddie acquisition was Dinwiddie.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 03:17 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Especially if we can get rid of Bullock in the process.  Win-win situation to rid ourselves of bullock and pick up a young nba talent.
Call me skeptical that the trade proposed is equal value, but you are right, Bullock for PJ is a steal.

Similar to PJ, I’d monitor Patrick Williams in Chi. If things go sour fast, he might be a good fall out piece. Get them BEFORE they have their breskout year!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 03:32 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Call me skeptical that the trade proposed is equal value, but you are right, Bullock for PJ is a steal.

I think we'd have to add more assets and they'd have to add more salary, but i think Bullock for PJ is a baseline.

Sounds like a road to us taking on more crap that we wouldn't want.
Like Reply