Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 30: DAL (15-15) @ CLE (20-11) | 99-100 loss
Kemba turned back the clock with those 32pts. Still don't get why Kidd hasn't played him until now.
Like Reply
On the final shot, if Wood had gone straight up instead of fading, he would have had 3 chances to make 2 FTs.
Like Reply
(12-17-2022, 10:52 PM)Jym Wrote: so do they ever practice end-of-game scenarios in practice? 
seems like they never have any idea what's going on

Not with these particular guys. In this case winging it might actually be best. But we only needed a two so why spread without a cutter did we play for three?
Overall another painful loss in a painful season. Kenna does look like a find. Wood is progressing.
Like Reply
Kemba > Wood
Like Reply
(12-17-2022, 11:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: On the final shot, if Wood had gone straight up instead of fading, he would have had 3 chances to make 2 FTs.

Yeah, it was pretty clear he didn't really know what to do in that situation. But tbh, he hasn't really had much experience with those circumstances. Hard to be too mad after the game he played tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(12-17-2022, 11:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, it was pretty clear he didn't really know what to do in that situation. But tbh, he hasn't really had much experience with those circumstances. Hard to be too mad after the game he played tonight.
Not mad at him at all. I have been wanting more minutes for him (don’t care if he starts or not, although I suspect he cares a lot) all season. Just a what couldda been comment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Hope not to see Frankie on ball the rest of the season (just not something he’ll ever be good at). But, other than a few regrettable first half minutes by Pinson, not a bad performance at all.
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 03:31 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Hope not to see Frankie on ball the rest of the season (just not something he’ll ever be good at). But, other than a few regrettable first half minutes by Pinson, not a bad performance at all.

Not even the ballhandling part. I think he is doing fine. He is getting to the right spots where any other player would easily finish a layup or floater. Just cannot convert.
Like an even worse version of Rondo. He can do everything you can ask for on a basketball court except for the most important thing. Defend, pass and handle the ball. But all of that is negated by a complete lack of scoring ability.
Like Reply
It is hard to get too upset at anyone over last night's game.  It was a valiant effort...a moral victory if you will given what we threw out there.  Our starters actually won their floor time fairly significantly.  Wood won his floor time against Allen (and Cleveland is +8 per 100 anytime Allen is on the floor).

The bench, basically our 12-15 guys, just didn't have enough real NBA talent.  The offense just died when Theo, Hardy and McGee were in together.  Kidd did the Dorian first out and first back thing again (even w/o point-PF Luka), leaving Wood as the only player of any size.  We survived those minutes just fine.  It felt like if we could have had just one of our regular bench guys back, we would have probably won.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 08:36 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is hard to get too upset at anyone over last night's game.  It was a valiant effort...a moral victory if you will given what we threw out there.  Our starters actually won their floor time fairly significantly.  Wood won his floor time against Allen (and Cleveland is +8 per 100 anytime Allen is on the floor).

The bench, basically our 12-15 guys, just didn't have enough real NBA talent.  The offense just died when Theo, Hardy and McGee were in together.  Kidd did the Dorian first out and first back thing again (even w/o point-PF Luka), leaving Wood as the only player of any size.  We survived those minutes just fine.  It felt like if we could have had just one of our regular bench guys back, we would have probably won.

Questions:  

1) With only 2 playable bigs for the next two months, does this team need another body (PF/C) type?   Wood has missed some games in the past and if he went down this may be DOA.   If McGee is utterly undependable does this team need to look for insurance?

2) Minutes were already tight with Din, Hardaway, Green, DFS and Bullock.  If Kemba proves he can play consistent minutes, what is the plan?   Moving Hardaway for a PF type would be ideal imo, just not sure that is in the cards.  I will be really disappointed if Green is the one who loses minutes.   Two guys may need to lose some minutes though.   I guess, it may be putting the cart in front of the horse though.  Maybe we should wait to see if this is something Kemba can do consistently.   Not scoring 30 plus points but look like a positive on the court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Questions:  

1) With only 2 playable bigs for the next two months, does this team need another body (PF/C) type?   Wood has missed some games in the past and if he went down this may be DOA.   If McGee is utterly undependable does this team need to look for insurance?

2) Minutes were already tight with Din, Hardaway, Green, DFS and Bullock.  If Kemba proves he can play consistent minutes, what is the plan?   Moving Hardaway for a PF type would be ideal imo, just not sure that is in the cards.  I will be really disappointed if Green is the one who loses minutes.   Two guys may need to lose some minutes though.   I guess, it may be putting the cart in front of the horse though.  Maybe we should wait to see if this is something Kemba can do consistently.   Not scoring 30 plus points but look like a positive on the court.

It is worse than that.  DFS is the only real PF.  Not only does Kidd really just have Wood and Powell to cover the C minutes, but he's having to expose one of them to playing 10-12 minutes w/o Dorian.  I wrote something in response to mvossman in another thread that outlines non all-star players who might fit next to Wood as a starting center.  We have to be careful because we do have Maxi and Dorian when everyone is healthy.  I guess Maxi could play his time at C (benching Powell again) if you brought someone in.

It would be nice if that someone could play small-ball center.  Could you solve both issues above with something like P.J. Washington for Bullock?  He's mobile enough to play next to Wood.  He didn't make my list in the other post, but he typically shoots 3's well enough that he would make the list.  He's an average rebounder and above average shot blocker and he's had 7 games of 20 points or more this season.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
Recorded the non-HD version of the game by accident and the screen cutoff the backcourt of both teams, so I will trust everyone else's opinions.  Also, "The Menu" isn't something I'd just recommend to anyone but I laughed hard 3 or 4 times.
[-] The following 2 users Like BoredAssistant's post:
  • KillerLeft, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Questions:  

To Dallas:

Saric
Bamba
Okogie

To Orlando:

THJ + three 2nd round picks

to Phoenix: 

Bullock
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 10:41 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Recorded the non-HD version of the game by accident and the screen cutoff the backcourt of both teams, so I will trust everyone else's opinions.  Also, "The Menu" isn't something I'd just recommend to anyone but I laughed hard 3 or 4 times.

Staying off topic - I loved The Menu as well, but not for everyone. The couple next to us left half way though after the guy said “I don’t like this”. More of a dark satire than horror and excellently done.

On topic - this forum is my only window to the team so thanks for that, y’all. Mavs are Mavsing hard it sounds like.
[-] The following 3 users Like Not an evil robot's post:
  • BoredAssistant, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 09:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is worse than that.  DFS is the only real PF.  Not only does Kidd really just have Wood and Powell to cover the C minutes, but he's having to expose one of them to playing 10-12 minutes w/o Dorian.  I wrote something in response to mvossman in another thread that outlines non all-star players who might fit next to Wood as a starting center.  We have to be careful because we do have Maxi and Dorian when everyone is healthy.  I guess Maxi could play his time at C (benching Powell again) if you brought someone in.

It would be nice if that someone could play small-ball center.  Could you solve both issues above with something like P.J. Washington for Bullock?  He's mobile enough to play next to Wood.  He didn't make my list in the other post, but he typically shoots 3's well enough that he would make the list.  He's an average rebounder and above average shot blocker and he's had 7 games of 20 points or more this season.

I do think we need another big at least for the rest of this season given how useless McGee is, but I do think they can get away with Luka taking on some PF minutes.

I like the PJ for Bullock trade as it bolsters the frontcourt with a good fitting player while relieving some of the backcourt minutes crunch, but I am not sure how much that trade makes sense for Charlotte?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/chrisfedor/status/16...49185?s=46&t=QeA7zTptFaUo9n50wQqugg
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply