Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 31: Cleveland Cavaliers (17-13) vs. Dallas Mavericks (18-12)
(12-29-2023, 04:14 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I'm serious man. i've been saying it since the off-season. i was not a fan of the off-season moves.

I was all for bringing back Kyrie. i loved the Lively, O-Max moves. And i was actually higher on Holmes than most. Boy was i wrong there. 

But free agency was a S show in my opinion. Seth Curry is redundant with Hardaway / Hardy.  

Grant Williams is an undersized 4, who offers no rebounding or size. Two things we needed.

We brought back Powell and Morris. Two scrubs who should not be on NBA rosters. 

The whole Javale McGee fiasco. 

The two under the radar moves have been the best. Exum and DJJ. 

Our two best players are both ball handling guards who have injury issues. You had to account for Luka and Kyrie missing games. Lots of games.  Having three ball handlers (Doncic, Din, Brunson) got us to the finals.  Why not replicate that somehow. I dont see Exum being an answer there, even with what we know now.

We are lucky, very lucky, that Lively doesnt play like a typical 19 year old big. I'd be scared to see what our record would be without him.  They had no back up plan for non-Lively minutes.  We have no size. No rebounding.  Things just dont fit very well.  And one of our big 3 gets injured, its exposes us in a huge way.

I'm not sure I could disagree with a post more.  This feels like the goal is to be as negative as possible, ignoring the really good things that were done and hyper focusing on small moves that don't make that big of a deal.

Lively, Exum and DJJ have been home runs.  We had a late lottery pick and the MLE and hit three home runs.  That makes it a fantastic offseason regardless of anything else.  The GWill trade has been a little disappointing so far, but the rest of the moves are around the edges and don't deserve this much angst.  

The FO were planning on being more aggressive on a trade for a center until they got a better look at Lively.  In the long term it was probably the right move.  Its interesting that your biggest complaints are about lack of size while calling back to the WCF team, which had way less size and depth at center than this one.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(12-29-2023, 06:22 PM)mvossman Wrote: The FO were planning on being more aggressive on a trade for a center until they got a better look at Lively.  

This truth is so under-appreciated.
Like Reply