Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 20: GSW (11-11) @ DAL (10-10) | 116-113 win
(11-30-2022, 12:34 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Damn, I feel like I'm witnessing a messy breakup.

I might have favorite players but I'll always call them out on their shortcomings.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 12:38 PM)cow Wrote: I might have favorite players but I'll always call them out on their shortcomings.

He's been rough for sure but he's still the last one I'm worried about coming back around out of DFS/Bullock/Hardaway.  Only concern at this point is if the new contract may have led to him losing a little bit of his edge.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 12:48 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: He's been rough

I don't even think he has been rough, just inconsistent. He has made some bad errors, sure, but in most games (pretty much all of them, recently, even during the losing streak) he has had stretches during which he was doing great things out there. I'm not saying this has been the best period of his career, but people are piling on him needlessly, imho. 

Bullock has been rough.
Hardaway has been rough.
McGee has been rough.
Wood, at times, has been super, super rough, like not qualified to be a pro player rough (and at other times he's looked like an All Star). 

I don't think it's fair to lump DFS in with those guys, though I would agree he has been underwhelming to start the season (again, showing signs of coming out of it).
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I think Dorian's been fine.  I'm expecting more than that with his pay raise though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 01:29 PM)cow Wrote: I think Dorian's been fine.  I'm expecting more than that with his pay raise though.

Quite right. He's learning that increased pay comes with greater expectations, which is a lesson many pro athletes probably have to learn at some point. 

I have faith that he'll win everyone back over eventually.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 01:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't even think he has been rough, just inconsistent.

I agree with the fact that DFS certainly is still playing stretches of good basketball and maybe your word choice is better than mine but the fact that HE of all people is inconsistent makes it stand out.  Whether or not he was piling up counting stats in a game you could always trust that he was making correct plays that don't show up in the box score and this season that hasn't been the case.  Hardaway is an example of someone I expect to be inconsistent over a season but at least show the flashes that he did last night, same with Bullock.  Dorian has just been such a rock for us that small declines in his play shine a little brighter than others.

Like I said, I have full confidence that he'll get it back and I agree with your list of rough player assessments.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 01:47 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I agree with the fact that DFS certainly is still playing stretches of good basketball and maybe your word choice is better than mine but the fact that HE of all people is inconsistent makes it stand out.

Yeah, it might not have been clear from my reply but I don't have a beef with what you said. 

I just see tons of people constantly lumping DFS (and even Kleber) into this gaggle of Mavs players who they think aren't any good. I have a major problem with the binary nature of that thinking.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 02:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, it might not have been clear from my reply but I don't have a beef with what you said. 

I just see tons of people constantly lumping DFS (and even Kleber) into this gaggle of Mavs players who they think aren't any good. I have a major problem with the binary nature of that thinking.

Oh didn't interpret any beef my man, just doing my part to continue the convo is all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 11:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's just that he's not playing the role he's meant to play. He has had two good stretches, one in Brooklyn and here, after the trade deadline last year. What they have in common is him coming off the bench. 

I honestly thought he had a shot at 6th man of the year coming into the season. He was PERFECT for this team in that role. 

Instead, they're trying to make Hardaway and Wood into that, and for differing reasons I don't think either of them is well suited for it.

I agree that Din's best role is coming off the bench, and I've been pushing for it since the year started, but '98's post seems to conflict with that as well. 

I'm happy with his play this year at least half the time. He's supposed to be one of our three best players. If he just isn't good enough for that, the team's in even worse shape than I thought.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 02:49 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm happy with his play this year at least half the time. He's supposed to be one of our three best players. If he just isn't good enough for that, the team's in even worse shape than I thought.

That's the whole thing, though. 

I think he might be the team's 2nd best player, AND I don't think he should start or be guaranteed to finish.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 01:47 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I agree with the fact that DFS certainly is still playing stretches of good basketball and maybe your word choice is better than mine but the fact that HE of all people is inconsistent makes it stand out.  Whether or not he was piling up counting stats in a game you could always trust that he was making correct plays that don't show up in the box score and this season that hasn't been the case.  Hardaway is an example of someone I expect to be inconsistent over a season but at least show the flashes that he did last night, same with Bullock.  Dorian has just been such a rock for us that small declines in his play shine a little brighter than others.

Like I said, I have full confidence that he'll get it back and I agree with your list of rough player assessments.

Would it be safe to speculate that Brunson's departure, and the Mavs "allowing" it, took the wind out of the sails of several players?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 05:09 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Would it be safe to speculate that Brunson's departure, and the Mavs "allowing" it, took the wind out of the sails of several players?

It's certainly possible. It most definitely took the 'wind out of my sails' and I'm only a fan. He did seem like a "glue" guy for the locker room… immaculate vibes and all.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
JB is a traitorous rat and everyone knows it.  He's dead to us.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 05:26 PM)cow Wrote: JB is a traitorous rat and everyone knows it.  He's dead to us.

[Image: eyor6.jpg]
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 05:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: [Image: eyor6.jpg]

Jaden > Jalen

[Image: jaden-hardy.gif]
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 07:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Rewatched the last 5 minutes. Maxi doesn´t get enough credit for his defense. No suprise that the Mavs couldn´t close games without him. His ability to switch is key for the Mavs clutch defense. Would feel a lot better about this team if they had another Maxi-like big instead of McGee.

M. Kleber - L. Doncic - J. Green +60 net with a 66.7 DefRtg in 7 min in the 4th. I can imagine Kidd being hesitant with Wood because of his defense, but his ignorance on Green is super questionable when people claim Kidd has a defensive first mentality. Kidd talking about the defense post game a few times. I am pretty sure the coaching staff knows the team hasn't defended as well as last season.

You basically have seen Green/Kleber duo doing work from the preseason onwards. Both are such a great combo on D together. Fitting like a glove with Luka.
And its pretty much obvious that the 4th guy is DFS. Green/DFS is kinda the new Bullock/DFS from last year. And 5th is either Wood/THJ or SD. Depending on going smaller or bigger with Wood. If Wood have a good offensive game, you have to play him with Maxi. He makes the offense more lethal than SD imo next to Luka.

Luka/Green < 100 DefRtg
Green/Kleber < 100 DefRtg
Green/DFS 103.2 DefRtg

That are season type numbers. The Bucks are 106.5 DefRtg total.

I feel like the Mavs went away from their defensive mindset for the most part this year. Too much relying on offense. The best counter for shooting a lot of 3's and missing them is still defense. You survive scoring droughts with defense. That what made the Mavs great last season.

Warriors game was a step into the right direction. But i am not sure if Green closes the game either without the flagrant.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • ballsrchr, dirkfansince1998
Like Reply