Poll: How would you grade this potential signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
11.11%
3 11.11%
B
25.93%
7 25.93%
C
37.04%
10 37.04%
D
11.11%
3 11.11%
F
0%
0 0%
L.O.L.
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Kemba Walker to DAL | his knee is "not good"
(11-28-2022, 09:37 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I like the deal. Kemba said on the Woj pod he's looking for a rotation spot and 18-20 MPG which is about what Dallas can offer. Kemba is a solid veteran leader who can help keep the wheels on. 

I expect we'll see more solo big lineups involving Wood and Kleber at center, two guards and two wings -- and scrambling defense. This is a back to the future move and I expect the team to play better as a result but they're not a contender.

If they are giving him 18-20 minutes a game, then it makes the Dragic non signing even more of a fail.  Would rather have had DSJ as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Hope he works out.

But I do not understand this Organizations hard on for this guy.   Mavs seem to have been interested for 3+ years.  Why not get younger and more explosive?  Wisdom is important...but I think it gets played off the court in Playoffs in exchange for explosiveness.
Like Reply
Remember all that chatter about how Kidd had his eyes on Facu for months?....
Like Reply
I liked Facu a bunch but his critical flaw just isn't compatible with the modern NBA.  Kemba is a good signing but does show the MBT are still largely inept and Dragic should have been the guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Vet min?  I guess it can't hurt.  KW minutes will really need to be managed well...and not take away from JG.  I had expected more from Facu.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:32 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Remember all that chatter about how Kidd had his eyes on Facu for months?....

So Facu was Kidd and Kemba is Nico? Unless of course Kemba doesn't work out, then it was Kidd also? Just trying to keep up.  Wink
Like Reply
Feels like this team always realized it needed another creator and Kemba was always the target but to Dan's point they had just been playing chicken and the Facu signing was just letting the Pistons know they were happy to wait.

My question is why constantly say we don't need a creator?  What is the advantage of saying things that everyone and their sister can see is simply untrue?  You just look kind of silly.

Hopefully this works out and gets us back to the formula we had last year but Kemba has not played good basketball in a while.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:42 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: My question is why constantly say we don't need a creator?  What is the advantage of saying things that everyone and their sister can see is simply untrue?  You just look kind of silly.

Well, if you and Dan are correct about Walker being the target for a while and the Detroit angle, you've answered your own question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:43 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, if you and Dan are correct about Walker being the target for a while and the Detroit angle, you've answered your own question.

True.  Feels like there was enough names available at the time to admit you were looking and act like you have other options but seems like the braintrust here is really into playing head games, no matter how bad they are at it.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:25 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Wisdom is important...but I think it gets played off the court in Playoffs in exchange for explosiveness.

I'm pretty sure the best team in the league regularly plays five guys who are as old or older than Kemba Walker and two more wise old vets will play when healthy.

Jrue Holiday (32)
Brook Lopez (34)
George Hill (36)
Serge Ibaka (33)
Wes Mathews (36)
Kris Middleton (31)
Joe Ingles (35)

And last year's title team starts three guys who are as old or older than Walker.

Curry (34)
Draymond (32)
Klay (32)

Fans get excited about young players with upside but veteran teams win titles.

With Kemba the question marks are 100% more about injury history than age.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:51 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: With Kemba the question marks are 100% more about injury history than age.

It is absolutely age for Kemba, because guards of his SIZE at his age are rarely successful. Injury history is an issue too, but age is a factor because he isn't one of the greatest shooters of all time.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 09:29 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: This was likely about the buyout amount, or said another way, it was about how much Dallas would pay Walker to offset the amount Detroit would pay Kemba for the buyout. Dallas and Detroit were probably negotiating on this and the Mavs forced Detroit's hand by signing Facu for the minimum. With Dallas off the table, Detroit paid Walker the full amount and let him go. Fast forward a few weeks and Dallas now gets Kemba at the minimum, which was the price they were willing to pay all along. 

I could be wrong, but it sounds like Dallas won, at the cost of a 19 game delay.

I actually think Dallas and Detroit were negotiating a trade…maybe for months  The moment Kemba was traded the reporting was he would be waived.  That waiver didn’t happen and didn’t happen and didn’t happen.  So, Detroit decided to hold onto his salary with something in mind.  Dallas had the most obvious need and Kemba is a Schwartz guy (assuming that still means something).  

The timing of the waiver lends credence to the theory.  The whole “Dallas was on Facu for months” thing just seems like PR.  I don’t have a good explanation regarding why Kemba vs. Dragic other than the possibility that there was more to the trade and the chance to move another salary (probably a non-center) for expiring Kemba made a Kemba trade enticing enough to hold out hope for.  We all tend to treat reporting as the Gospel when it suits our narrative.  We’d probably all be better served to take all of the reporting (and even the actual statements) with a grain of salt as just about anything can be said with a purpose other than the one presumed when we here it.

Off topic, but I’d recommend the Ceiling is the Floor podcast from the last few days.  I’m only halfway through, but some really good analysis on why we have so much variability in our results (hint, we are more dependent on 3’s and no one other than SD and Green are hitting them).  Also some hints that something isn’t quite right inside the locker room (which meets the eye test for me).
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:51 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I'm pretty sure the best team in the league regularly plays five guys who are as old or older than Kemba Walker and two more wise old vets will play when healthy.

Jrue Holiday (32)
Brook Lopez (34)
George Hill (36)
Serge Ibaka (33)
Wes Mathews (36)
Kris Middleton (31)
Joe Ingles (35)

And last year's title team starts three guys who are as old or older than Walker.

Curry (34)
Draymond (32)
Klay (32)

Fans get excited about young players with upside but veteran teams win titles.

With Kemba the question marks are 100% more about injury history than age.

I'll see this truth and raise you:

If the Mavs don't get some type of veteran leadership going soon, they probably won't make the playoffs in the first place. You have to be able to win regular season games on the road in order to qualify for the playoffs. They have only done that once this season, so far. 

Now, maybe some people would prefer they miss the playoffs, but that's an entirely different conversation.

(11-28-2022, 10:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Also some hints that something isn’t quite right inside the locker room (which meets the eye test for me).

Yeah, we were discussing this in the game thread. I think it's very likely this is the case. The team isn't playing for each other the way they have for the past few seasons. There are multiple players who look like KP looked out there.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The whole “Dallas was on Facu for months” thing just seems like PR.

Maybe. But I think you think that because it fits your narrative. Smile 

It is just as possible that Kidd really did want Facu for a long time because Kidd had some impression that he would be a hard-nosed defender or that Luka needed a locker room friend. 

And now the Mavs have realized Facu sucks (which they should have known before that) and are now trying the next option. 

And none of that is to say the Mavs weren't ALSO working the Kemba angle for a while.

Many things can be true at the same time. Fans often want to over simplify something that is usually very nuanced and complex.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Also some hints that something isn’t quite right inside the locker room (which meets the eye test for me).

Let me offer the five reasons a reporter in Milwaukee believes Kidd was fired from the Bucks job:

1) Blaming others and not taking responsibility. 
2) Terrible rotations.
3) Poor in-game decision making.
4) Stalling of young player development (which includes alienating some players).
5) Inability to adjust his defensive scheme.  

Eerily familiar.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
To the idea that something is going on in the locker room: could it simply be what we all have been seeing as fans and it's just the tension between Wood and Kidd affecting everything else?  That can be solved with reasonable rotations and maybe last night was a step in the right direction.  

Naming starters in July, especially when the team hadn't even met yet and one of those starters is someone new to the locker room was a DUMB idea and likely led to some of the feelings that we may be seeing play out on the court.  Maybe it's something else but I think it's simply Kidd's head games and someone needs to wake that guy up and show him what he's doing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I actually think Dallas and Detroit were negotiating a trade…maybe for months

This could make sense. Detroit traded for Bogdanovic in the end paying only Olynik. They also resigned Bogdanovic, so longer term salary shouldn't be an obstacle. Olynik would make sense on Mavs. A lot of sense. So I wonder why they didn't make it happen. Did they value THJ higher than Olynik and Kemba? Bogdanovic is a better player than THJ, so perhaps Detroit wanted more.

Although on the other hand. It was very obvious Detroit will waive Kemba and all Mavs had to do was wait one more day with Campazzo to get him. This part makes little sense.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:42 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Feels like this team always realized it needed another creator and Kemba was always the target but to Dan's point they had just been playing chicken and the Facu signing was just letting the Pistons know they were happy to wait.

My question is why constantly say we don't need a creator?  What is the advantage of saying things that everyone and their sister can see is simply untrue?  You just look kind of silly.

Hopefully this works out and gets us back to the formula we had last year but Kemba has not played good basketball in a while.

I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt....but they have really given us no reason to do so with their past moves.   These decisions are typically graded in a vacuum, but they are very rarely black and white.  There are a lot of moving parts.  

i hope they knew their roster heading into the season had holes.   But they were counting on a productive Hardaway.   Was this the ideal setup?  nope.   But Hardaway needed minutes and so does Green.  When you account for this, there is really a tight fit for minutes.   I don't want to pile drive on Hardaway.   He was always going to be an awkward fit even if he played well.  But he really is a bottleneck things up on our roster especially if they couldn't move him.   If he played to his contract (very good bench scorer) things would look much better (not perfect) even with a slow starting Bullock, DFS and Maxi.

At least we didn't give up an asset for Kemba.   Credit for Detroit trying to play the Mavs for a sucker.   It has worked for other teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Does the ghost of Donnie still linger in the organization?  This is such a Mavs thing to do. Chase someone and fail when they might actually be good but then stay infatuated with them and finally get them when most teams have moved on from those guys. 

I will give props to them for at least identifying what is the crying need on this team. Another creator.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1597255450205954053
Like Reply