Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X's and O's: An Ongoing Discussion of the Exquisite Art of Basketball
(12-02-2022, 12:37 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The biggest issue I perceived in the 4th and OT against Detroit was the short roll against the double teams. Maxi is making an effort to drive the ball but he is just not comfortable enough to be efficient. He makes some nice passes, and other times he assists the vendors who get to sale extra drinks to fans in the lower bowl. Wood is the better player at collecting the pass from Luka and attacking the rim. The problem is that when it is Wood in the middle there are not shooters currently capable of hitting the shots a Wood-Luka center of gravity creates.

I love the idea of DFS being the screener, but bringing his man as the double team trap is often times inviting an athletic and long wing to Luka which complicates his ability to pass out of the double team.

Figuring out the counter to forcing the ball out of Lukas hands is paramount to a successful season. THJ should be a big part of the answer and it appears he and Bullock are contributing to the problem!

There's no question in my mind that Wood, much more so than Porzingis, offers Kidd/Luka the potential to make that short roll a "bread and butter" element of the team's offensive approach. Unlike some, I have no trouble imagining how scary it might be for them to trust him right away, but on the the other hand, when it has worked it has looked GOOD. 

I think they need to go for it, personally.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: X's and O's: An Ongoing Discussion of the Exquisite Art of Basketball - by KillerLeft - 12-02-2022, 12:41 AM