Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Full Time Fan Has Questions
Hi Mavs peeps! I haven't had time to be a full-time follower for a couple of years now. Can y'all help a brotha out and catch me up? I have questions. 

1. Is Luka pretty much locked in to being an overweight NBA player who will never reach his potential because his lack of being in shape will cap his ceiling and cut his career short? A couple of years ago I had hope that he'd figure the eating part out as he matured. Now, I'm beginning to think "it is what it is" on that front. What say you? 

2. Is Kyrie here til traded? Or is he here for fat Luka health insurance? And will they be able to actually play well together this season? 

3. If the team is bad this year will we get a new coach? 

Thanks, pals!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
Luka's conditioning seemed better this summer. Unfortunately, he has a nagging injury that can apparently be traced back to around the all-star break last year and he's dealing with it now, at the Mavs' expense, rather than miss any of team Slovenia's activities over the past summer. I feel like this will probably have an impact on his conditioning to start the season, even in the best case scenario, but we'll see.

Kyrie is saying/doing all the right things. This year will be very telling, obviously. I feel like Luka/Kyrie playing well together is pretty low on the list of things to worry about, provided Kyrie wants to be here as much as he's claiming.

If the team is bad this year, I certainly hope Kidd will be replaced. None of us know for sure.

Good to see you, pal!
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Killerleft covered the big topics. Gives me the opportunity to remember the good old days when Mavs basketball was one of the most important things in the world. Kinda crazy to think that some posters have been a part of this community for 10+ or even 15+ years. Great to see that even with different priorities you haven't completly given up on this board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Lukas obligations to the national team are just as big of an issue for the Mavs as his conditioning. You can’t play year round every year. I don’t blame him for prioritizing his country but if he wants to win an NBA title, he’ll have to give up on that in addition to spending the entire summer preparing his body for the NBA season.

I’m trying to remember exactly what age Dirk got his shit together and quit going out drinking all the time. Jokic got in great shape what was it 2 or 3 years ago. He’s 28 now. So at 25-26ish.

Luka hasn’t hit 25 yet but I think the time is coming in the next 1-2 years which will decide if he is going to have a Harden or Westbrook type career with a lot of counting stats or become a legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • fifteenth, MFFL
Like Reply
According to many posters, things are terrible, Cuban’s terrible, Kidd’s terrible, the team’s terrible and we’ll be lucky to watch a .500 team this year.

I think they’re wrong.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth, MFFL
Like Reply
Hi Fifteenth. It has been awhile. Welcome back where there is also much to be excited about with this season is about to start.
1. We ended last year with massive defensive holes which led to a successful tank.
2.  We kept our 10th pick that we would have lost and drafted our future real Center, Lively and also got a very athletic defensive guy Omax in the deal. This board was and probably remains very happy about this draft. Our GM staff seems to have significantly improved. Grant Williams was brought in from Boston for legitimate 3and D. Some weak guys are gone and several decent depth pieces replaced them. Before the board got bored and returned to their worried ways, the board was actually rather pleasantly shocked and happier.
3.  Luka was clearly in the best shape of his life but is now effected by last year’s nagging injury. Only time will tell if this turns out to be next to nothing or long term serious.
4. Kyrie in my actually trained opinion is in a great place emotionally here in Dallas. His skill is on full rather awesome display and his long list of “concerns “ are not distracting him. He seems to really feel great about his place on this team. There will be much to watch with him as he is obviously hopeful for great things happening for him and this team. Get your popcorn.
5.  We are probably a year or more away from true contender status but our players don’t appear to feel that way , just us.

Welcome back and enjoy the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
international games are more of an issue than weight IMHO. Jokic rang and rested the entire summer while his national team finished runnerups on fiba world cup, and he is even fattier than luka.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 08:14 AM)LukaMVP Wrote: international games are more of an issue than weight IMHO. Jokic rang and rested the entire summer while his national team finished runnerups on fiba world cup, and he is even fattier than luka.

Jokic really improved his overall fitness. Would argue that among bigs he is easily one of the best in the league when it comes to durability and endurance. Basically no injuries. Easily outrunning other bigs in the second half of games. Even so called great athlets like Bam or AD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 03:08 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Killerleft covered the big topics. Gives me the opportunity to remember the good old days when Mavs basketball was one of the most important things in the world. Kinda crazy to think that some posters have been a part of this community for 10+ or even 15+ years. Great to see that even with different priorities you haven't completly given up on this board.

Good to see you DF98! I think I started posting on Mavs message boards in the 1800s... or you know what, I think it was actually 1998  Big Grin
Not very astute ^^^^
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 04:14 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: According to many posters, things are terrible, Cuban’s terrible, Kidd’s terrible, the team’s terrible and we’ll be lucky to watch a .500 team this year.

I think they’re wrong.

So, nothing's changed!!

(10-24-2023, 05:42 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Hi Fifteenth. It has been awhile. Welcome back where there is also much to be excited about with this season is about to start.
1. We ended last year with massive defensive holes which led to a successful tank.
2.  We kept our 10th pick that we would have lost and drafted our future real Center, Lively and also got a very athletic defensive guy Omax in the deal. This board was and probably remains very happy about this draft. Our GM staff seems to have significantly improved. Grant Williams was brought in from Boston for legitimate 3and D. Some weak guys are gone and several decent depth pieces replaced them. Before the board got bored and returned to their worried ways, the board was actually rather pleasantly shocked and happier.
3.  Luka was clearly in the best shape of his life but is now effected by last year’s nagging injury. Only time will tell if this turns out to be next to nothing or long term serious.
4. Kyrie in my actually trained opinion is in a great place emotionally here in Dallas. His skill is on full rather awesome display and his long list of “concerns “ are not distracting him. He seems to really feel great about his place on this team. There will be much to watch with him as he is obviously hopeful for great things happening for him and this team. Get your popcorn.
5.  We are probably a year or more away from true contender status but our players don’t appear to feel that way , just us.

Welcome back and enjoy the season.

Thanks Reunion Mav! I appreciate the update and the optimism. And good to see you, sir!
Not very astute ^^^^
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 01:28 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Hi Mavs peeps! I haven't had time to be a full-time follower for a couple of years now. Can y'all help a brotha out and catch me up? I have questions. 

1. Is Luka pretty much locked in to being an overweight NBA player who will never reach his potential because his lack of being in shape will cap his ceiling and cut his career short? A couple of years ago I had hope that he'd figure the eating part out as he matured. Now, I'm beginning to think "it is what it is" on that front. What say you? 

2. Is Kyrie here til traded? Or is he here for fat Luka health insurance? And will they be able to actually play well together this season? 

3. If the team is bad this year will we get a new coach? 

Thanks, pals!

Looking for the season predictions thread and found this set of awful takes! Bring me my crow plate, I'll chow down.
Not very astute ^^^^
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply