Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 10: DAL (6-4) @ ORL (3-9) | 87-94 Loss
Heart 
https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/15...5624418304
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Well, I am hoping for a split on this back to back.  Tonight, early game.   I just feel Luka is going to come out moving like an old man with the early game and playing against a bad team.  Magic want a little payback to the game recently in Dallas.   Dallas without two of their top 4 scorers (if Hardaway is out).   We really need Dinwiddie to go for 20.   Who is the other player who steps up with at least 15 points.   I think tonight it is going to be needed.   

I wonder if Facu, Frank or Hardy get a little run?  I would think one will at least.   Not sure who though.   

I would prefer Dwight starts.  McGee probably had his best stretch coming off the bench.   Lets put him in tat role to see if he can find any kind of Groove.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 08:12 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Well, I am hoping for a split on this back to back.  Tonight, early game.   I just feel Luka is going to come out moving like an old man with the early game and playing against a bad team.  Magic want a little payback to the game recently in Dallas.   Dallas without two of their top 4 scorers (if Hardaway is out).   We really need Dinwiddie to go for 20.   Who is the other player who steps up with at least 15 points.   I think tonight it is going to be needed.   

I wonder if Facu, Frank or Hardy get a little run?  I would think one will at least.   Not sure who though.   

I would prefer Dwight starts.  McGee probably had his best stretch coming off the bench.   Lets put him in tat role to see if he can find any kind of Groove.

If Hardaway is out, we only have two rotational offensive players available.  I see this being a game where we focus on defense.  Ideally Powell and Maxi split up the center minutes.  Offensively we focus on Luka/Powell P&R surrounded by 3&D or Maxi/Din surrounded by 3&D for 5 out.  Luka, Din, DFS, Bullock and Green all get over 30 minutes and Frank takes up the rest.
Like Reply
Mavs currently with the longest active win streak, gotta keep that alive. Must win game.
[-] The following 5 users Like DrMav's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Mapka, Smitty
Like Reply
I predict Franky Smokes makes his season debut and reminds us what defense truly looks like, keeping the Magic ball-handlers from even getting the ball past half court. 

Mavs pitch a shutout and win 192-0.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DrMav, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
No Wood and THJ is a killer. 

Mavs were already heavily relying on one player to produce a lot of points. Mavs going to be missing 2 potentially 20 point scorers. 

Which player(s) are going to be able to step up and fill that 40 point hole?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 02:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: No Wood and THJ is a killer. 

Mavs were already heavily relying on one player to produce a lot of points. Mavs going to be missing 2 potentially 20 point scorers. 

Which player(s) are going to be able to step up and fill that 40 point hole?

40 point hole?  From these two guys?  Wood might come close to scoring 15, or 20 (if he gets to play), but THJ is just as likely to score 2 with many clanks giving additional opportunities to the apposing team.  I like THJ, but he has to quit doing the kangaroo rat and pirouette prayer shots.  Coaches need to work with him to square up to the basket before he shoots.  At this stage in his career I doubt that he can make the change.  THJ is what he is.  Bertans is similarly guilty.  At the very least the upper body needs to be square and/or anchored to the basket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
My prediction is for Green to continue his growth into a top 8 player. 22 pts. on 8-11 shooting (2-3 3pts) and 8 rebounds in 28 minutes.

Luka continues the 30+ppg march, but makes it a triple double this time.

Bullock finally manages to get the ball inside the rim for 15 pts.
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 03:32 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I like THJ, but he has to quit doing the kangaroo rat and pirouette prayer shots.  Coaches need to work with him to square up to the basket before he shoots.  At this stage in his career I doubt that he can make the change.  THJ is what he is.  Bertans is similarly guilty.  At the very least the upper body needs to be square and/or anchored to the basket.

This is great analysis. 

I agree with your assessment of what causes both THJ and Bertans' struggles, but I disagree that "they are what they are" and that the problems are set in stone. From my seat, those guys are tasked with getting a much wider variety of shots off than DFS/Bullock types, and what comes with that is much, much more variety in how they integrate the catch into their shooting motion, how they stop their feet and set them, etc, etc. I think JJ Redick is the best I've ever seen at mastering dozens of different "solutions" for getting effective shots off in crazy, short windows, and most guys who find their niche in the league as shooters seem to struggle from time to time. The injuries and missed time surely don't help either, but we've seen THJ have stretches wherein he's handling all of that stuff much better, as if the game is moving a little more slowly for him out there. 

I feel like Carlisle's staff might have been a little better at going over and over those type of fundamentals, while it seems like Kidd and staff are much more concerned with putting as much practice time into defense as possible (this is just my feeling, based on what I've observed) and they hope the offense will just kind of take care of itself. Time will tell if this approach will work out, but the point is that THJ can play offense at a really, really high level. Whether he's here for the long haul or it's all about trading him, here's hoping he can get straightened out. This latest injury sucks because he was showing signs of finding his way again during the first half the other night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
Without two guys that are supposed to carry some of the non Luka creation duty the Mavs need a good shooting performance. Wood and THJ combine for 27ppg.
DFS and Bullock have identical numbers for the season. Both 13/41 from 3. 31.7%. Would be nice if at least one of them finds his stroke. Same for Maxi (33%, 7/21). Need double digit scoring from at least two of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Paolo out. Bad team missing their best player. Trap game.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 03:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: DFS and Bullock have identical numbers for the season. Both 13/41 from 3. 31.7%. Would be nice if at least one of them finds his stroke. Same for Maxi (33%, 7/21). Need double digit scoring from at least two of them.

I don’t know why, but those guys seem to start every season in kind of a shooting slump. Maybe it is about the staffing change, but I feel like it was happening even back when Carlisle was here. I feel like with Kleber and especially DFS the issue might be that they go into each summer with a mandate of speeding up their release, as each year sees the team reach a new level of success, of course leading to better defense in more important games and a redefinition of “open.” It kind of feels like they have to reinvent some of their shooting approach each summer and work it during early season to get comfortable. But, that’s just a theory of mine, who knows?

Regardless, this is a full-blown trend so I am not going to fall into the trap of believing those guys won’t ever shoot well again because we go through this every single year. My guess is at least two of the three will be right back around 40% by January. To your point, tonight would be a great time to start inching in that direction.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1590452041012641792
Like Reply
No Wood. Ultimate green light. THJ wouldn´t miss the opportunity to chuck away even if he had to play on crutches.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
No Paolo tonight and no Beal tomorrow night....sounds like an 0-2 trip.

(11-09-2022, 04:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: No Wood. Ultimate green light. THJ wouldn´t miss the opportunity to chuck away even if he had to play on crutches.

Ha, Hardaway will be moving like Fred Sanford out there and will still find away to launch 15 plus shots out there tonight
Like Reply
Even in a trap game, when the team is probably giving less than full effort, the difference in first quarter effectiveness is night and day from Powell starting to McGee.
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 03:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is great analysis. 

I agree with your assessment of what causes both THJ and Bertans' struggles, but I disagree that "they are what they are" and that the problems are set in stone. From my seat, those guys are tasked with getting a much wider variety of shots off than DFS/Bullock types, and what comes with that is much, much more variety in how they integrate the catch into their shooting motion, how they stop their feet and set them, etc, etc. I think JJ Redick is the best I've ever seen at mastering dozens of different "solutions" for getting effective shots off in crazy, short windows, and most guys who find their niche in the league as shooters seem to struggle from time to time. The injuries and missed time surely don't help either, but we've seen THJ have stretches wherein he's handling all of that stuff much better, as if the game is moving a little more slowly for him out there. 

I feel like Carlisle's staff might have been a little better at going over and over those type of fundamentals, while it seems like Kidd and staff are much more concerned with putting as much practice time into defense as possible (this is just my feeling, based on what I've observed) and they hope the offense will just kind of take care of itself. Time will tell if this approach will work out, but the point is that THJ can play offense at a really, really high level. Whether he's here for the long haul or it's all about trading him, here's hoping he can get straightened out. This latest injury sucks because he was showing signs of finding his way again during the first half the other night.

Good comments...and you may be right.  I can't fault the effort either player gives to the game.  I feel that Bertans would be able to make the necessary changes quicker/easier if he had a coach willing to put the time in with him.  He has a great stroke.  

It just doesn't seem that Hardaway has ever been reined in.  Certainly just my opinion.  I'm like a weatherman--right 25% of the time.  I was also thinking THJ was much older than Bertans...but no.  THJ is 30, Bertans is 29.  Still...I'd try to work with both of them.  Just a slight improvement would do wonders.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Probably the best drive and kick of DFS’s career.
Like Reply
Magic are building a wall inside the paint. Bamba and Bol. Need to make open shots. They are getting them on every single possession.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 06:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Magic are building a wall inside the paint. Bamba and Bol. Need to make open shots. They are getting them on every single possession.

Seems like half the battle is the 3&D guys recognizing when they need to be ready to shoot. I don’t quite get why that’s so hard for them…just expect the ball and be ready!
Like Reply