Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(06-15-2023, 10:31 AM)gatkins11 Wrote: "The Mavericks are considering options to move down from No. 10 into the middle of the first round, sources said, to pick up a veteran rotation piece to help support Luka Doncic and free agent-to-be Kyrie Irving. The Mavericks and Hawks, for example, discussed the idea of swapping Dāvis Bertāns and the No. 15 pick for John Collins and the No. 10 pick, sources said, although those talks do not appear to have progressed at this time."

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors...43725.html

I'd do that deal
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 11:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This has been the most obvious choice with Mavs stated objectives imo.  The high salary is concerning for Collins but I think Collins is a change of scenario guy who may play better with new team.

The key is Dallas not having someone make it to 10 who they prioritize and Atlanta wanting someone who would not make it to 15.

I still think it Dallas were to trade the pick or move down that Collins and Ayton are the type of caliber of player.  Not O’Neal or Olynyk level of players.

If Black and or Hendricks is on the board and the Mavs trade the pick (even trading down) for any of those guys, I will launch into Alec Baldwin pillow cry. 

Collins is a distressed asset at his contract, especially in the new CBA. If it's just Bertans and Collins with a pick swap, the Mavs lost that deal. It becomes even worse if there's no Wiggins-like rehabilitation of Collins. Make it Capela - or THJ for Capela and pick swap - and it becomes a reasonable deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 01:47 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Collins is a distressed asset at his contract, especially in the new CBA. If it's just Bertans and Collins with a pick swap, the Mavs lost that deal. It becomes even worse if there's no Wiggins-like rehabilitation of Collins. Make it Capela - or THJ for Capela and pick swap - and it becomes a reasonable deal.

We have a bad contract in Bertans but a good pick. We would be acquiring a WORSE contract in Collins and a worse pick. I'm not very interested in this deal. 

Bertans/10 for Capela/15? Yes please!
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 02:13 PM)MFFL Wrote: We have a bad contract in Bertans but a good pick. We would be acquiring a WORSE contract in Collins and a worse pick. I'm not very interested in this deal. 

As much as a true 5 is a need, Collins potential skillset is just much more valuable in general than Capela. I would much rather take the swing on Collins whos been under developed imo. Collins can play a "big wing/Small ball 5 role" much like Kleber has for years.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure Kidd would even play a true 5 to finish games. To improve the rebounding and team size issues I think they would much prefer to improve the positional size at the 3 and 4 spots and then continue the bullpen approach at the 5, rather than spending $20 million on a one dimensional 5.
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 02:23 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: As much as a true 5 is a need, Collins potential skillset is just much more valuable in general than Capela. I would much rather take the swing on Collins whos been under developed imo. Collins can play a "big wing/Small ball 5 role" much like Kleber has for years.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure Kidd would even play a true 5 to finish games. To improve the rebounding and team size issues I think they would much prefer to improve the positional size at the 3 and 4 spots and then continue the bullpen approach at the 5, rather than spending $20 million on a one dimensional 5.

Absolutely agree here. Collins value is at an all time low and it remains to be seen if he can start to shoot well again, but his skillset is valuable. 

His body time is eerily similar to Aaron Gordon's and his ability to move on the perimeter for his size is well established. He isn't a lockdown defender by any means, but he isn't a slouch. 

He'd fit in so well next to Luka. I know Kamm would go feral (in a good way) at this type of deal.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Okstate819
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 02:23 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: To improve the rebounding and team size issues I think they would much prefer to improve the positional size at the 3 and 4 spots

Collins isn't really a good rebounder though. Only 6.5 boards a game isn't very good for a big man (and it slipped to 4.3 in the playoffs)
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 02:13 PM)MFFL Wrote: We have a bad contract in Bertans but a good pick. We would be acquiring a WORSE contract in Collins and a worse pick. I'm not very interested in this deal. 

Agreed - there are 3 types of limited assets in the NBA to pay for a player in a trade:
- salary 
- draft capital
- valuable players 

You don’t pay with 2 or 3 of those assets for a guy like Collins right now when his salary is much too high and therefore takes too much salary cap space.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TonyREast/status/166...44239?s=20
Like Reply
Sounds like the Mavs already offered #10 and Bertans for Collins and #15 and haven’t got a final answer, yet. I agree with them. They’re going to have the roll the dice win a distressed asset in the wake of the KP and Brunson disasters. Collins can be a three level scorer if his finger has mended, and he has the athleticism to become a good three position defender. As for the pick, this is the deepest draft I can remember. The Mav’s chances of snagging a rotation player at 15 aren’t much worse than at 10. Leonard Miller will be available at 15, for example, and he has as much potential as anyone outside of the top 3 or 4 players in this draft. It’s just going to come down to intangibles for everyone between 5-15. How much do they want it. How hard will they work. Do they have a high basketball IQ. They’re all pretty talented and physically gifted, as best I can tell. And if the Mavs both hit on the pick and rehab the distressed asset, they’re basically ready to go.
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 03:28 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TonyREast/status/166...44239?s=20

Hmm. Doesn´t want to go to Indiana or has a promise from Detroit or more likely Orlando.
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 03:32 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Sounds like the Mavs already offered #10 and Bertans for Collins and #15 and haven’t got a final answer, yet. 

If we were the ones offering this trade, it makes our FO look even worse. Way too much value for Collins' albatross in the draft position loss.

(06-15-2023, 04:05 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Hmm. Doesn´t want to go to Indiana or has a promise from Detroit or more likely Orlando.

Good! Pushes more desirable players down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 03:32 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Sounds like the Mavs already offered #10 and Bertans for Collins and #15 and haven’t got a final answer, yet. I agree with them.  They’re going to have the roll the dice win a distressed asset in the wake of the KP and Brunson disasters. Collins can be a three level scorer if his finger has mended, and he has the athleticism to become a good three position defender.  As for the pick, this is the deepest draft I can remember.  The Mav’s chances of snagging a rotation player at 15 aren’t much worse than at 10. Leonard Miller will be available at 15, for example, and he has as much potential as anyone outside of the top 3 or 4 players in this draft. It’s just going to come down to intangibles for everyone between 5-15.  How much do they want it. How hard will they work. Do they have a high basketball IQ. They’re all pretty talented and physically gifted, as best I can tell. And if the Mavs both hit on the pick and rehab the distressed asset, they’re basically ready to go.

I would be surprised if they would execute a trade before the night of the draft bc there is a good chance a player falls to 10 that makes the pick that much more valuable for Mavs or in trades. I think Mavs would be exploring their options and then pull the trigger while they are on the clock.
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 04:31 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I would be surprised if they would execute a trade before the night of the draft bc there is a good chance a player falls to 10 that makes the pick that much more valuable for Mavs or in trades. I think Mavs would be exploring their options and then pull the trigger while they are on the clock.

If they entertain the option of keeping the pick, then I'm good with them exploring their trade options.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/thunderchats/status/...04424?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...29252?s=20
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 02:44 PM)MFFL Wrote: Collins isn't really a good rebounder though. Only 6.5 boards a game isn't very good for a big man (and it slipped to 4.3 in the playoffs)

His acquisition is more about posistional size defensively but even so, he’s a better rebounder than Reggie who was the primary 4 after the Kyrie trade.
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 06:17 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...29252?s=20

I'm all for any of these guys if the Mavs traded from 15-20, Lively is tops on my list but Bufkin for me has overtaken JHS.  Bufkin doesn't have a lot of holes in his game.
1. Lively
2. Bufkin

Consolation prize:
3. JHS
4. Wallace
5. Hawkins
6. Bilal
7. L. Miller

If I'm taking the Jazz picks and Olynyk, pick 28 would be either:
8. Clowney
9. Jaquez
Like Reply
(06-15-2023, 07:33 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'm all for any of these guys if the Mavs traded from 15-20, Lively is tops on my list but Bufkin for me has overtaken JHS.  Bufkin doesn't have a lot of holes in his game.
1. Lively
2. Bufkin

Consolation prize:
3. JHS
4. Wallace
5. Hawkins
6. Bilal
7. L. Miller

If I'm taking the Jazz picks and Olynyk, pick 28 would be either:
8. Clowney
9. Jaquez
I like your list. More options at 28:
10. O Max Prosper
11. Maxwell Lewis

If we walked out with Miller(16) and Clowney(28) ………that would be best case scenario type talent haul
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/...04291?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/...93762?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/...82146?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/...72737?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA
Like Reply