Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(06-10-2023, 07:51 AM)juanc Wrote: I'm on the other side with Hendricks... I hope the Mavs pass on him. I get that he looks promising with the combination with his size and agility/shooting, but for me he just isn't the defensive prospect people are saying he is. Watching UCF games, he was just out of position lots of times. I have Black and Walker as a tier or two better defensive prospects than Hendricks. He is basically a DFS/Maxi hybrid on ofense, with questionable defensive instincts(that just my opinion!). I get the hype, but I fear that he'll end up as Jaxon Hayes.

On the other hand, I am a huge fan of Jarace Walker, his defensive/basketball IQ is just absurd. He was on the right spot most of the time, his positioning on defense reminds me a lot of a young Draymond. He was the defensive anchor for one of the best defensive teams in NCAA last year. In addition to those instincts, he also has some elite athleticism. He has everything necessary for being a all devensive team player. Also an elite/great playmaker/passer(go watch some of his IMG tape). Jarace is my top choice for Mavs @10

That's nice, but there's no way he's going to be on the board.
Like Reply
Someone posted a list of guards coming out of Kentucky a while ago. Calipari and or his staff must have a pretty good eye for talent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-10-2023, 01:38 PM)chaparral Wrote: Someone posted a list of guards coming out of Kentucky a while ago.  Calipari and or his staff must have a pretty good eye for talent.

One of two things is true - Wallace will be picked far higher than projected by most mocks, or several teams who passed on him will rue the day. Sadly, he'll still be on the board when the Mavs pick (in the grotesquely minimal chance that they don't trade the pick), but he makes no sense for us with Luka, Hardy, and presumably Kyrie.
Like Reply
I am definitely not someone who watches much of college hoops. So I am reliant on yt videos where even late 2nd prospects look like all stars. Having said that I am extremely impressed with Lively. The ability to cover guards and then block their shots and his ability to pass to the opposit corner out of double teams stand out for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • PositiveLegs
Like Reply
Why is this guy rated so low?  I am not saying high FRP but the skillset he is showing should be a late FRP early 2nd.
Like Reply
Dr. Spins has a new Mock out in the last few hours (4.2).

Biggest surprise is JHS to Jazz at 9.

10.  Hendricks
11.  Dick
12.  Lively
13.  Wallace
14.  Coulibaly

Hood-Schifino going 9 is kind of similar to Wallace going 8 in other mocks.  It pushes someone to Dallas (Hendricks in this case).  The Jazz need a PG at one of the two spots where they are drafting, so in this case it is JHS early and Whitehead at #16 (as opposed to Hendricks early and the best PG options all gone by #16). 

I thought it was interesting that he had Lively to OKC.  Any thought of trading down and still getting Lively would be killed if OKC had interest in pairing Lively with Holgren.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • GermanMav
Like Reply
If Hendricks happens to be available at 10, but Lively is the real target, hoping to be able to trade down, pick up assets or clear bad contracts, and still get Lively, then why not just take Lively at 10. It may be a reach, but he may have more potential upside than Hendricks.
Like Reply
(06-11-2023, 01:48 PM)rocky164 Wrote: If Hendricks happens to be available at 10, but Lively is the real target, hoping to be able to trade down, pick up assets or clear bad contracts, and still get Lively, then why not just take Lively at 10.  It may be a reach, but he may have more potential upside than Hendricks.
some of that will depend on the plan going forward. If they are confident in getting either Ayton or Allen, the reach is not so great. If not, and they think Lively is more than just a practice shooting hero, he very well may be BPA at 10.
Like Reply
(06-11-2023, 01:48 PM)rocky164 Wrote: If Hendricks happens to be available at 10, but Lively is the real target, hoping to be able to trade down, pick up assets or clear bad contracts, and still get Lively, then why not just take Lively at 10.  It may be a reach, but he may have more potential upside than Hendricks.

Many mocks now have Lively going 12 to the Thunder, which blows up the idea of trading down for him, unless the Magic want to gift us a player to move up one slot. I like Lively a lot, but he'd better be a huge draft hit since we would surely be be passing on someone more highly thought of. I love the idea of Lively for the Mavs, but unfortunately I'm not a professional. Even more regrettably, neither is the guy who will make the ultimate decision.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Don’t see it with Lively at all. Solid but not a great athlete, no outside shot, little production at the college level. 

I think he’s a reach before pick # 20+. Looks like a career backup to me. 

I’d much rather go with Coulibaly (upside), Dick (looks like surefire pick) or Hendricks (amazing fit here)
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • SleepingHero, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
Potential late bloomer? Probably undrafted. Brother of Obi Toppin

https://youtu.be/Qov_RGcQYO8
Like Reply
Guys I'm interested in after the top 3 without regard to fit:
Amen Thompson
Cam Whitmore
Ausar Thompson
Walker
Hendrix
Black
Coulibaly
Wallace (but he only makes sense if they trade Hardy pre-draft or have solid intel that Kyrie does not want to be here under any circumstances - he will likely be picked after 10 and be regarded as a steal of the draft - perhaps even on a Donovan Mitchell level)
Lively

I think Lively is a reach at 10, but will be an impact rim protector (likely off the bench) even as a rookie. The other eight (except perhaps Wallace) would each improve this team, meaning that we will end up, 100%, with a shot at a legit player - our choice of two if someone 4-9 jumps the shark. That's why I have to cry that we're obviously almost certainly going to trade this pick.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(06-11-2023, 03:40 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Don’t see it with Lively at all. Solid but not a great athlete, no outside shot, little production at the college level. 

I think he’s a reach before pick # 20+. Looks like a career backup to me. 

I’d much rather go with Coulibaly (upside), Dick (looks like surefire pick) or Hendricks (amazing fit here)

I don't see it with Lively either. 

Not only does he not pop in highlights, the dude couldn't really produce at all in the college level. 5ppg 5rpg 20mpg. Good block stats, but high foul rate. 

I think he'll make maybe a solid backup. 

Dick looks great (ha!). I'm sure the Mavs would get absolutely roasted for picking him, but he might be the BPA.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • SweetFidelia
Like Reply
I'm not putting too much stock in Lively not producing well as a freshie.
Players can make the jump the following year.

But..

Lively isn't a safe pick.
Yes the Mavs need a center and he'd probably get some minor amount of PT in his rookie year, but he isn't one to be trusted with (by any coach, and specifically JKidd).
Picking Lively at 10 is a big swing.
He can be a modern day TC but he could also be WCS.
The Mavs can't afford a swing and miss at this point

Mavs need a trade down if Walker, Hendricks and Black aren't available at 10.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, hakeemfaan, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
That I agree. There are still a lot of great talents past 10. I would love a trade down if that nets the mavs two of the following: GG Jackson, Olivier Prosper, Keyonte George, Jordan Hawkins, Marcus Sasser, Brandin Podziemski, or Jett Howard.
Like Reply
(06-12-2023, 12:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't see it with Lively either. 

Not only does he not pop in highlights, the dude couldn't really produce at all in the college level. 5ppg 5rpg 20mpg. Good block stats, but high foul rate. 

I think he'll make maybe a solid backup. 

Dick looks great (ha!). I'm sure the Mavs would get absolutely roasted for picking him, but he might be the BPA.

Let me add to the Lively dillema.

First of all, yes, the stats sans blocks aren't great to look at. But there are some levels to those stats. First of all he played with Filipowski who is also a big(who shoots threes but likes to play near the basket more). Lively was an afterthought on ofense and even when they were playing PnR, he had Kyle lurking near the basket.
The second thing is that the playmakers that Duke had were... Not that great...  When I imagine Lively in the PnR with Luka or Ky, well thats a whole different level.

Ok now let me share my thoughts on him, and why I like him as a prospect. He is a top3/4 defensive prospect in this draft IMO, together with Wembinator, Walker and Black Ant. The first thing that pops out is the rim protection. He is big, long and has great instincts around the rim, and that is his most translatable skill IMO. THe second thing that poped out to me when watching Duke play whas how mobile/agile he was. Comparing him to last years prospects he is lighter on his feet than any of those bigs. THat's huge for a big prospect IMO. To be able to defend in different coverages like drop, hedge and recover,... and also showing some switchability. Duke was a much better defensive team when he was on the floor. His main weakness was his strenght, the stronger guys gave him some problems, but I think that's the least of a problem to add once you're in the league.
[-] The following 4 users Like juanc's post:
  • Chicagojk, hakeemfaan, PositiveLegs, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
It sounds like most, not all, would be fine keeping the pick if one of Black, Walker or Hendricks fell to 10. There has not been a lot of talk about Ausar Thompson here. Would you take him if he made it to 10? Doesn’t he feel like the guy someone would pay to move up for? I have watched his highlights and him and his brother look impressive. I just can’t get a firm grasp on the completion though. I have seen some mocks recently where he is available at 10.
Like Reply
(06-12-2023, 04:56 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It sounds like most, not all, would be fine keeping the pick if one of Black, Walker or Hendricks fell to 10.  There has not been a lot of talk about Ausar Thompson here.  Would you take him if he made it to 10?  Doesn’t he feel like the guy someone would pay to move up for?  I have watched his highlights and him and his brother look impressive.  I just can’t get a firm grasp on the completion though.  I have seen some mocks recently where he is available at 10.
I also think it’s most likely Ausar is the guy the falls to 10. With a guard being taken at 7, 8, or 9. And i think this would be the perfect situation. We could sell high on pick 10. Ausar is a multi-year project. While I’m an advocate of drafting one of those this year, there’s several good ones all throughout the draft. We MUST get real production next season out of the #10 asset
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • Chicagojk, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/theboxandone_/status...81699?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
I agree with what others are saying. Lively absolutely fits a need here but at 10 you have to go for more skill.

I also feel that while defense is needed, if you get a truly skilled offensive wing you have to strongly consider that. You can never have enough skilled scorers in the current NBA.
Like Reply