Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(05-31-2023, 02:08 PM)mvossman Wrote: This should be the top priority.  Getting one of these three (there may be a few others) for #10 would make a huge difference.  There would still be work to be done, but a move like this would actually give me hope.

I agree

This is best case scenario to me.  I honestly dont understand the trade down logic.  We are desperate for two starters.  My focus is on turning #10 into the best starter we can get.  A young center would be nice.

If nothing is available, the Mavs are in trouble.  Trading from 10 to 15-20 to get rid of some salary or pick up a backup is a nothing burger.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 03:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, I think #10 for Okongwu is a no brainer.

Maybe a harder question since his value is all over the place.  Would you do Bertans/McGee or Bertans/Reggie for John Collins and swap #10 down to #15?   The theory being Atlanta gets the better pick and a year from now clears money.  Dallas gets a useful player in a position of need for some dead weight, but still stays in the middle of the first round.
I used to want Collins badly, his finger does scare me quite a bit though. His deal is a really a tough pill to swallow if last season is his new norm. The risk we’re taking on though is probably worth that price. I wouldn’t hate if the Mavs did it, but I’d be very nervous to see if he can turn it around. Hyper upgraded Maxi if he works out, playing injured Maxi if he doesn’t.

If we could also flip #15 for Turner, that would be a pretty dang good duo that on paper fits well.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 03:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, I think #10 for Okongwu is a no brainer.

Maybe a harder question since his value is all over the place.  Would you do Bertans/McGee or Bertans/Reggie for John Collins and swap #10 down to #15?   The theory being Atlanta gets the better pick and a year from now clears money.  Dallas gets a useful player in a position of need for some dead weight, but still stays in the middle of the first round.

My preference would be to leverage the #10 to get a legit mobile center.  But if that is not an option, I don't hate this move.  We would still have 15 to potentially get the second starter we need.  In my mind, to get the most value out of Collins, that second player would need to be a defensive power forward that can stretch the floor.  We could do worse than bring Dorian back.  If we end the off season with Collins/DFS/Luka/Green/Kyrie starting and Bertans/McGee off the books, I would be interested.  Bench of Powell/Maxi/Bullock/Timmy/Hardy would be deep.
Like Reply
The latest ESPN mock has Hendricks to Dallas. Jalen Hood-Schifino has moved up to #9.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 06:07 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: The latest ESPN mock has Hendricks to Dallas. Jalen Hood-Schifino has moved up to #9.

So, who was your second favorite player?
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 06:12 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, who was your second favorite player?

Taylor Hendricks
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 06:16 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Taylor Hendricks

Good.  Good call on JHS
Like Reply
To be completely serious, JHS was a guy that was being mocked around 18 who I thought was completely undervalued. I have several ahead of him. Here’s my thoughts for the Mavs as of right now. Obviously subject to change as we get closer to draft time. Personally, I’m operating under the assumption that Kyrie is back.

It seems that most mocks have the top 5 of Wemby, Henderson, Miller, Amen, Whitmore. Also, I’m seeing Black to the Wizards at 8 very frequently.

In my opinion, if Walker or Hendricks make it to 10, you pick them. They are both players who fill a position of need who are ready to contribute right away. They will be on cheap rookie contracts for years. The Mavs should only trade the pick in this scenario if the deal really favors them.

If they are both gone, the first thing I’m looking for is a favorable trade back that keeps us in this draft. Some (definitely not all) of the players who I would be interested in are Lively, Leonard Miller and Olivier-Maxence Prosper.
Like Reply
I like JHS and Wallace and would consider both if Kyrie is out or if they plan on moving Josh Green.
Like Reply
Just looked into Kobe Brown. #45 in ESPN’s latest mock. Undervalued.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 09:49 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: To be completely serious, JHS was a guy that was being mocked around 18 who I thought was completely undervalued. 

I'm good with either JHS or Wallace if --- the Mavs know the chance of not retaining Kyrie is high. 

Sure the Mavs can get a PG in a deal for Kyrie, but I'm thinking, the Mavs would be better with another PG waiting in line. Chances are -- DLo or whoever the Mavs get, would leave the Mavs wanting at PG.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the veteran PG the Mavs can get in a deal would be surpassed by JHS or Wallace near season's end.

(05-31-2023, 09:49 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: In my opinion, if Walker or Hendricks make it to 10, you pick them. They are both players who fill a position of need who are ready to contribute right away. 

Normally I'd say rookies would take time to contribute, but the combination of talent, team need and the low bar set by DP, either Hendricks or Walker should be rotation players by All Star break.

(05-31-2023, 09:49 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I’m looking for is a favorable trade back that keeps us in this draft. Some (definitely not all) of the players who I would be interested in are Lively, Leonard Miller and Olivier-Maxence Prosper.

Lively and Leonard are the names I have in trade down scenarios (along with JHS) in the first round.
Prosper is a good pick for the second round.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 09:49 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: To be completely serious, JHS was a guy that was being mocked around 18 who I thought was completely undervalued. I have several ahead of him. Here’s my thoughts for the Mavs as of right now. Obviously subject to change as we get closer to draft time. Personally, I’m operating under the assumption that Kyrie is back.

It seems that most mocks have the top 5 of Wemby, Henderson, Miller, Amen, Whitmore. Also, I’m seeing Black to the Wizards at 8 very frequently.

In my opinion, if Walker or Hendricks make it to 10, you pick them. They are both players who fill a position of need who are ready to contribute right away. They will be on cheap rookie contracts for years. The Mavs should only trade the pick in this scenario if the deal really favors them.

If they are both gone, the first thing I’m looking for is a favorable trade back that keeps us in this draft. Some (definitely not all) of the players who I would be interested in are Lively, Leonard Miller and Olivier-Maxence Prosper.

I like the last part as I think Miller and maybe Lively will be better than most of the top 10. Hendricks seems like a bust. I hope they don’t take him. Low efficiency at the rim.
Like Reply
We need to get the #1 pick or we are screwed. The team is currently in shambles.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 12:23 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I like the last part as I think Miller and maybe Lively will be better than most of the top 10. Hendricks seems like a bust. I hope they don’t take him. Low efficiency at the rim.

Hendricks is one of the least likely to be a bust, especially if he ends up in Dallas. Can shoot and play defense VERY well. Very high floor. He may not become an offensive superstar, but we don’t need him to be. We need a great defender who can hit open shots.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:21 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Hendricks is one of the least likely to be a bust, especially if he ends up in Dallas. Can shoot and play defense VERY well. Very high floor. He may not become an offensive superstar, but we don’t need him to be. We need a great defender who can hit open shots.
Ya, Hendricks would be a great fit if we actually were to get Ayton. He makes up for the shot blocking and is a floor stretcher as well as a switchable defender. Basically a Maxi right off the bat, with the added benefit of running the floor with the younguns and Kyrie. He then already has some skill in areas to develop.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 04:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: My preference would be to leverage the #10 to get a legit mobile center.  But if that is not an option, I don't hate this move.  We would still have 15 to potentially get the second starter we need.  In my mind, to get the most value out of Collins, that second player would need to be a defensive power forward that can stretch the floor.   

I could see THJ/10 for Collins/15 from the Atlanta POV (it would be nice if we could also send out McGee).  They can claim they got good value for Collins (finally) at a time of year when fans are rabid for the promise that is the draft.  What they are really doing though is sending 3 years of Collins for two years of THJ at less money.  Between Hunter, Johnson and Bey, they have plenty of guys who can play the four.  They have to stagger Young/Murray in the same way we do Luka/Kyrie.  So, while BB and THJ seem to duplicate one another, there is a spot for both to get minutes.

Dallas fans can feel like they now have a big who can stretch and play PnR.  It would be nice if he rebounded and defended a bit better, but he isn't a C-Wood level disaster on defense.  He is a reclamation project (undervalued is another way of  putting it) because the 3% declined so much and that finger.  I have that same injury on the pinky of my non-shooting hand.  He'll definitely get better medical attention than I did and there are ways to improve what he was living with last season.  But, it will always have a bend to it.  The good news is it won't always be painful and there isn't any reason it should impact his shooting.  I think a change of scenery would do him a world of good and while he's not a traditional rim protector, he does fit the scheme we seem to want to run.

I think Maxi fits the bill for what you are talking about in limited minutes.  You'd still have #15 and the Full MLE to add the big you are talking about and a wing defender (Bullock has to be replaced in a year).  Thybulle/Brooks/DiVincenzo are candidates at the MLE and you draft a big at #15.  Or, I'd throw more money than Philly wants to pay at Paul Reed and go after go after a wing defender in the draft.  Reed doesn't shoot 3's, but he would dramatically help the D and rebounding.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 07:23 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I could see THJ/10 for Collins/15 from the Atlanta POV (it would be nice if we could also send out McGee).  They can claim they got good value for Collins (finally) at a time of year when fans are rabid for the promise that is the draft.  What they are really doing though is sending 3 years of Collins for two years of THJ at less money.  Between Hunter, Johnson and Bey, they have plenty of guys who can play the four.  They have to stagger Young/Murray in the same way we do Luka/Kyrie.  So, while BB and THJ seem to duplicate one another, there is a spot for both to get minutes.

Dallas fans can feel like they now have a big who can stretch and play PnR.  It would be nice if he rebounded and defended a bit better, but he isn't a C-Wood level disaster on defense.  He is a reclamation project (undervalued is another way of  putting it) because the 3% declined so much and that finger.  I have that same injury on the pinky of my non-shooting hand.  He'll definitely get better medical attention than I did and there are ways to improve what he was living with last season.  But, it will always have a bend to it.  The good news is it won't always be painful and there isn't any reason it should impact his shooting.  I think a change of scenery would do him a world of good and while he's not a traditional rim protector, he does fit the scheme we seem to want to run.

I think Maxi fits the bill for what you are talking about in limited minutes.  You'd still have #15 and the Full MLE to add the big you are talking about and a wing defender (Bullock has to be replaced in a year).  Thybulle/Brooks/DiVincenzo are candidates at the MLE and you draft a big at #15.  Or, I'd throw more money than Philly wants to pay at Paul Reed and go after go after a wing defender in the draft.  Reed doesn't shoot 3's, but he would dramatically help the D and rebounding.

If this is something that on the table, I think Dallas would consider this very hard.   My only ask if they trade back from 10 are two things: 1) you don't bypass a player that you have really highly rated and 2) if you move down, you have 3-4 guys you really like.  Because if you are only targeting 1 player, there is a good chance he is taken before you pick.  You also need to really like John Collins and think a change of scenery will really help him.  

One of my favorite plays right now, is teams really in love with a player but fear OKC at 12.    Teams like Toronto, OKC, Orlando and Pelicans tend to like similar players.    

Orlando-  Probably not likely but what if they don't want to wait to 11, could you get a small asset to move back to 11?  They would move up to 10, because Dallas is trading the pick and they fear a team is targeting their player
OKC- I would hate to let OKC get a player they target, but could you get Kenrich Williams or Jeremiah Robinson Earl or a future pick?
Toronto-  Asking for Precious or Boucher is a big ask, but do they really like someone?
Pelicans- Larry Nance?
Like Reply
I would prefer Capela than Collins, I think he is better fit. THJ+10 for Capela and 15. Than trade 15 and salary filler to BKN for O'Neale and 21.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 08:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: If this is something that on the table, I think Dallas would consider this very hard.  

One of my favorite plays right now, is teams really in love with a player but fear OKC at 12.    Teams like Toronto, OKC, Orlando and Pelicans tend to like similar players.    

OKC- I would hate to let OKC get a player they target, but could you get Kenrich Williams or Jeremiah Robinson Earl or a future pick?

Great minds…  I was looking at K. Williams last night as part of a trade down with OKC and was trying to rectify value with Sleeping Hero’s post about past trade downs involving picks in this area.

(06-01-2023, 09:18 AM)omahen Wrote: I would prefer Capela than Collins, I think he is better fit. THJ+10 for Capela and 15.

For me it depends on what else (if anything) you are doing.  If we need to fill two holes (with playoff ready guys), then either Capela or Collins can work.  It just depends on what you are able to accomplish at the other position as to which one is the better fit.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 10:10 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Great minds…  I was looking at K. Williams last night as part of a trade down with OKC and was trying to rectify value with Sleeping Hero’s post about past trade downs involving picks in this area.

For me it depends on what else (if anything) you are doing.  If we need to fill two holes (with playoff ready guys), then either Capela or Collins can work.  It just depends on what you are able to accomplish at the other position as to which one is the better fit.

I like Collins a lot as a player. But, I think Collins is not a good enough defender to be a good fit next to Luka and Kyrie. I would not target him at all.
Like Reply