Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(05-23-2023, 12:12 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I listened to it.  I like Cato...really like him.  But he is just learning about these prospects.   I thought there is a good chance a wing/PF slips to 10.   Mavsdraft thought Ausur has the best chance to be that one.  I will need to watch more of him.   I wasn't crazy about dropping back for those range of players without getting something really good.

I am still on board with pick 10 and Bertans and Bullock for Atlanta 15 and John Collins.    It would really take ATL wanting to get off long term Collins money and seeing a player at 10 who they really like.   

I like a Collins plus Lively or developmental wing type.  That is the type of player I would be interested in moving down for.

Collins is a guy averaging 13 pts and 6 boards, and making $25mil for three more years.  That's Kryptonite in the new CBA.

I offer Atlanta Maxi and Bullock for Collins and #15.  They get a cheaper PF and unload A LOT of long-term money.

The Mavs could really do damage with #10 and #15 either in trade or picking Hendricks/Dick/Wallace and Lively.
Like Reply
(05-24-2023, 06:22 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Collins is a guy averaging 13 pts and 6 boards, and making $25mil for three more years.  That's Kryptonite in the new CBA.

I offer Atlanta Maxi and Bullock for Collins and #15.  They get a cheaper PF and unload A LOT of long-term money.

The Mavs could really do damage with #10 and #15 either in trade or picking Hendricks/Dick/Wallace and Lively.

I am not sure what Collins market is, but that is awfully light for not even immediate cap relief.   Could a team with Cap room take Collins in for immediate cap room?   Hawks thought they had a deal with the Suns at the deadline before the KD trade.  I believe that was expiring with Crowder being one and the Suns first round pick.   I think that is what the package they will be looking at.   #10 is too much obviously but I don't think they would move their first in a package to dump him.  

Hollinger had an article that I skimmed this morning how a lot of teams are stuck and this could impact a lot of the moves this summer.  Dallas and ATL were two teams he mentioned.
Like Reply
major late first/second sleeper imo. If he stays in the draft. Not a good shooter though.

Does a lot of Draymond things on the floor. Draymond was the better college player and got way better in the NBA when he lost the weight and improved. But this kid just does all the little things...besides shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSC9g1zgU8&t=29s
Like Reply
(05-25-2023, 02:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: major late first/second sleeper imo.  If he stays in the draft.  Not a good shooter though.

I see a little Josh Green with the athleticism.  But he has better handles than Josh, but much worse of a shooter.

The more of this class i see, the more i'm liking guys in that late first/ early second range. It would be nice to grab an extra pick in this range. Similar to what we did with Hardy last year. 

I'd target Whitehead, Andre Jackson, Jacquez, Cissoko, etc.  Some good names will be in that range. 

This area has been hotspot in the last few years with guys like Nembhard and Hardy last year.  Bones Hyland, Herb Jones, Aldama in 2021.  Quickley, Bane, Jaden McDaniels in 2020. 

2019 is looking really good.  Poole, Keldon Johnson, Kevin Porter Jr., Claxton, Gafford, Terrance Mann, and Jalen McDaniels all drafted between pick 28-52.

This will be crucial for roster building. Finding a Hardy every year or two on a cheap contract.
Like Reply
(05-25-2023, 02:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: major late first/second sleeper imo.  If he stays in the draft.  Not a good shooter though.

Does a lot of Draymond things on the floor.  Draymond was the better college player and got way better in the NBA when he lost the weight and improved.  But this kid just does all the little things...besides shooting. 

Frankie Smokes, but with more assists?
Like Reply
(05-25-2023, 02:43 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Frankie Smokes, but with more assists?

Frankie Smokes wishes he could jump like that guy!
Like Reply
(05-25-2023, 02:58 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Frankie Smokes wishes he could jump like that guy!

Okay, okay.

Killian Hayes, instead.
Like Reply
So this may not be the right thread for this, but I was thinking of ways to improve the NBA draft lottery to remove the ping-pong ball luck that's currently involved. Here's the outline of my idea:

1. Instead of a lottery pick, each lottery team gets the equivalent amount of $$$ that can potentially be spent on the draft player of their choice. This amount of money is equal to the amount of what a player picked at that spot would receive and is in order of record (so worst record would have the (most) amount of money equivalent of what the 1st pick would be paid, etc).

2. Each lottery team then internally ranks the players that they would be willing to spend their "pick money" on. For example, maybe the team with the worst record (and most money) sees four players they would be willing to spend the money on, so they rank those four players one through four. Or maybe the team with less money (like the equivalent 7th or 8th pick) ranks 8 players or maybe even all of them.

3. Players are then assigned to teams based on how the teams ranked them. If the team ranks a player number 1 and no other team ranked that player as highly then that team gets that player and it's designated as the pick that corresponds to the salary slot listed above. For instance, if the team with the fourth highest salary slot ranked player X as their top pick then player X is considered to have been picked fourth in the draft. This also would not have to be ranking a player number 1 - if a team that didn't get their first choice ranks Player X as their second choice (or third, etc) and no other teams ranked him higher then that player would still go to that team.

4. If more than one team rank the same player with the highest ranking then the player gets to choose which team they go to. Whichever team has the worse record will be able to offer more money based on their slot, but perhaps the player wants to take less money for a better fit/team/situation. (This could create some nice NBA drama based on snubs)

5. If there are players or teams that don't get "matched" in this process then the draft continues in order from that point forward just like a normal draft with the remaining lottery teams picking in order followed by the other teams.

There would be some interesting team decisions to be made - for example, in this last draft every team would rank Wemby first. But maybe a team doesn't want to play those odds and ranks another player they like first which would practically guarantee that that player would go to them.

I'm sure there are some holes/things that would need to be tweaked, but I feel like this would remove the lottery luck while still giving the worst teams in the league a fair chance of improving. I think it would also be interesting to watch live as the lottery portion of the draft could focus on each player and display which teams had him ranked highly as well as which team he picks (in the event there's a tied bid like described above).
Like Reply
I have seen this guy mostly in the second round. I am not sure if he is staying in the draft, but man his highlights are impressive and would seem to be a fit for what we want.

Pretty impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnU3r4tB4g&t=321s
Like Reply
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2023/5/25/...-a-mistake
Like Reply
(05-26-2023, 05:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have seen this guy mostly in the second round.  I am not sure if he is staying in the draft, but man his highlights are impressive and would seem to be a fit for what we want.

Pretty impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnU3r4tB4g&t=321s

Better than Powell. Looks like he can do alot of what McGee was supposed to do with his shot blocking and rim running.
Like Reply
I haven't listened yet, but this is a pretty good podcast. This episodes discusses Hendricks vs. Walker. Two guy who will be in consideration for us if a few teams look at different directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er-5p44zY5Q
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/swishcultures_/statu...42753?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
(05-26-2023, 07:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/swishcultures_/statu...42753?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Lively just catapulted up the draft boards. He may not even be available at 10 now.
Like Reply
Tough to see him on the mavs with out other holes. But l loved watching Hawkins highlights. He takes a lot of attention and never stops moving.

https://twitter.com/mavsdraft/status/166...76896?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
(05-26-2023, 10:55 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Lively just catapulted up the draft boards. He may not even be available at 10 now.

Probably going in the WCS range, who also once made 21 corner threes in practice. Let him move past 10 and we most certainly get to pick between Wallace and Walker.
Like Reply
(05-27-2023, 12:56 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Probably going in the WCS range, who also once made 21 corner threes in practice. Let him move past 10 and we most certainly get to pick between Wallace and Walker.

Yes, the WCS echoes are off putting. I still think Leonard Miller will be the player available at 10 who goes on to have the best career.
Like Reply
Yea Leonard Miller is getting a ton of attention right now. He seems to be moving up draft boards a lot. Might make the trade back plans a little difficult if he's the main target. He'd be the main target if it were up to me. If the plan is to keep a small ball 5 like Powell for the blitz switch scheme, is Leonard Miller not the obvious best fit for this role? Definitely not locked into this though cause he can play 4 in a standard lineup as well. Very mobile for a big-almost winglike, 6'10/7'2ws so has good height/length, 6th best rebounder in the GL at 19y/o (11 reb/g), good handles for a big as well. Imo his ceiling is higher than Hendricks and he still has a high floor, just the weird shot mechanics hold him back some. Will take some time to develop his shot but the GL is nba distance and he hit 32% of his 3s and also 79% ft is a great sign. I was thinking another option for a trade back if the John Collins contract is negative value right now could be to trade back for Brooklyn's 21 + 22, and then use 1 to trade back up with the Hawks for #15 with Bertans & Bullock expirings. Would need to have a good idea Miller will be there if he's the target though. OKC looks like a big risk to take him at 12, although they could use some of their 500 picks to move up for Walker/Hendricks if they wanted to also. Although now that I think of it, how different is he from Christian Wood right now? Similar build, better lateral movement, better handle, worse shot?
Like Reply
Will Lively be a good Pro? We will see.

The WCS comments makes little sense to me. WCS not working out had little to do with his talent. If he just did the simple things well, he probably leaves the game with 200 million.

https://twitter.com/sam_vecenie/status/1...75906?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
I think picks 3&4 will be Interesting. OG from Toronto is very good but personally I think he is a tad overrated. Despite being the type of player everyone wants. So if I am Toronto and if I can get pick #3, I might be very inclined. I have not looked at Scoot a ton but this gives Toronto a reboot. Would Portland need to include more? Could you get similar value for Siakam?

Pick 4 is also Interesting. Amen is a guy that fits their recent guys they have gone after.
Like Reply