Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 8: TOR (5-4) @ DAL (5-3) | 111-110 win
(11-05-2022, 02:04 PM)mvossman Wrote: But I think what we will most likely end up with is a player who can survive as the single big when necessary, but is more effective when paired with somebody like Maxi.  Somebody who would preferably not feature as a single big, but can play that role for stints, especially against second units.  If this is how it plays out, I still think it's worth trying to hold on to him (its not like we have a lot of other options).

I disagree a little, but let's say for argument's sake that you're right. 

What happens if Kleber gets hurt? Where does your "offensively centered around Luka/Wood" team turn, then? If you're going to build around Luka/Wood, then Luka/Wood needs to be the foundation. Of everything. Meaning you'll have to build lineups around them. Meaning that if you think he's a pick and roll 4, you'd better have at least two quality "stretch 5's" in the rotation, and probably a third for emergencies. I think Bertans (not a 5, but a big, I suppose) MIGHT qualify as that 3rd emergency option, but they don't have that number two guy, and I don't think players like that come available very often. Personally, I think it was a miracle they were able to extend Kleber so that this board never has to learn just how many teams would jump at the chance to throw money at him. 

To me, it seems infinitely easier and offers a far higher likelihood of success just to teach Christian Wood, a guy with center size and center instincts on defense, to, I don't know, play better defense. There are LOADS of guys in the league who can play 3&D forward next to him if you're successful. 

The above is the playing out of what I understand to be your vision. Now for the other part of mine:

Everything we think we hate about Wood's defense will be exacerbated in the playoffs, I believe, by a good offense if he's at the 4. That's just doubling down on how slow he is, not dealing with it. There is no scenario wherein you can pretend having a guy out there who can't/won't move his feet on defense is ok because he plays one position instead of another. People seem to think what worked in 2011 for Dirk will work now, but it simply will not. You'd HAVE to play Dirk at the 5 in today's game, whether you wanted to or not. It would be the only chance he had.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 8: TOR (5-4) @ DAL (5-3) | 111-110 win - by KillerLeft - 11-05-2022, 02:14 PM