Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kidd is the Defacto DAL GM
(11-02-2022, 05:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I definitely agree. But there is a line crossed when a coach goes out of his way to NOT play or best utilize a player that he didn't want in the first place. RC did that a couple times. I believe Kidd is doing it with Wood. It is an attempt to basically strong-arm the GM into doing exactly what you (the coach) wants in regard to roster construction. 

A coach SHOULD have input in the roster construction, but he also needs to trust the talent evaluators and adjust his coaching to fit the talent he is given.

Wow!  Shades of Roddy B!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MazurFocus/status/15...9104700416
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • AgGiE1991
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 09:56 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/MazurFocus/status/15...9104700416

So which one of us is Christian's burner account?
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 09:56 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/MazurFocus/status/15...9104700416

I hope both guys (Wood and Kidd) really works things out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I don’t understand what’s going on. It’s soooooooooooooooooooooo early. Kidd coached us to a game 7 win on the road and 2 playoff wins without Luka. Whoever the real GM is, he got us Christian Wood for a very late 1st rounder and a bag o beans. I’m super impressed. 

By the way, at this stage of Bullock’s first year here, I was ready to declare him a spare. Not gonna repeat that mistake with McGee. 

Finally, I’m gonna pat myself on the back for saying this board was gonna LOVE Dwight as a 3rd-string center.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • AgGiE1991, cow, DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, Tyler
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:13 PM)Jommybone Wrote: By the way, at this stage of Bullock’s first year here, I was ready to declare him a spare.

You were right, should’ve stuck to your guns.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:13 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Finally, I’m gonna pat myself on the back for saying this board was gonna LOVE Dwight as a 3rd-string center.

Props to you! So far, I was way wrong on that. I gotta admit DP has been a MAJOR spark for this team since he's been getting minutes -- to the extent that he MUST be given minutes. (Never thought I'd say that, but it's a fact.)

I don't know how to feel about that. I don't see anything that really translates to the playoffs. But there's no question that DP has been an impact player every time, and a difference-maker. (His per-48 plus minus is +43, which of course is off the charts.)
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:13 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I don’t understand what’s going on. It’s soooooooooooooooooooooo early. Kidd coached us to a game 7 win on the road and 2 playoff wins without Luka. Whoever the real GM is, he got us Christian Wood for a very late 1st rounder and a bag o beans. I’m super impressed. 

By the way, at this stage of Bullock’s first year here, I was ready to declare him a spare. Not gonna repeat that mistake with McGee. 

Finally, I’m gonna pat myself on the back for saying this board was gonna LOVE Dwight as a 3rd-string center.

You were wrong about the 3rd center part.  lol
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You were right, should’ve stuck to your guns.

I loved Reggie last year, but after the Kyrie-related controversy over the past few days, he's trade fodder. Now we're gonna need two two-way wings, dammit.
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 12:37 AM)cow Wrote: You were wrong about the 3rd center part.  lol

Haha! No I wasn’t. As soon as he moves to #2, board gonna turn on him all over again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(11-03-2022, 09:04 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Haha! No I wasn’t. As soon as he moves to #2, board gonna turn on him all over again.

He's #1 on the roster and #1 in our hearts.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
It's waaaay too early to be having these discussions right now. 

IIRC, the first 8-10 weeks of last season had nobody confident this team was going anywhere. In fact, Kidd said starting the season that the staff would be working until about Christmas to evaluate the team and get a feel for how everyone worked best. Wasn't it around New Year's the Mavs started to gel and get really productive?

I'm willing to ride it out for a while. I'd love to be 7-0 right now. Although he has shown well in these early games, I get the coaches wanting to see sustained results with Wood. He's going to have opportunities to show his versatility as games are played against different opponents that offer different challenges. I believe he will prove successful, but early success builds pressure to feature his game more. Maybe Kidd just wants to make sure he is stable enough to build around, given previous antics.

I'm disappointed in McGee as he seems slow in some of the rotations and looks a little lost sometimes, but team defense takes time and shared experience, so I'm not totally out on him yet. Despite DP's recent contributions, I don't know how McGee can improve sitting on the bench. Maybe that's where he belongs, but, to me, that is still TBD.

Of course, early over-reactions is what keeps this place interesting!
[-] The following 3 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-04-2022, 10:23 AM)michaeltex Wrote: given previous antics.
Can you expand on this? I keep hearing about him being a malcontent or personality issue from the board, yet noone has really pointed to anything other than he's been on a lot of teams for short stints.
Like Reply
(11-04-2022, 01:37 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Can you expand on this? I keep hearing about him being a malcontent or personality issue from the board, yet noone has really pointed to anything other than he's been on a lot of teams for short stints.

The most recent instance was a Houston game last year where he refused to play in the 2nd half after (apparently) some halftime confrontations with the coaching staff. I do think there was a LOT of frustration by players who signed on to be part of the "James Hardin Experience" after he went to the Nets.

Before that, Dwayne Casey claimed he was cautioned by multiple sources to not sign Wood in Detroit, although I think that went OK. 

Wood also was part of several teams before landing in DET.

The prevailing philosophy is that DAL is the first time Wood has been in a winning environment on a contending team, so the anticipation is all those early career blemishes get forgotten. But he still needs to confirm a consistent contribution to become the true #2 to Luka. Personally, I think he will and his success at teaming with our supernova PG will encourage others to look to Dallas to further their careers.
[-] The following 3 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • F Gump, ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 04:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Kidd is the defacto DAL GM.

This is by far the most disturbing revelation of this past offseason and early season.

1) Kidd refuses Dragic a spot and instead wants Campazzo (Dragic then shines in CHI while DAL clearly could use someone to help Luka get some rest from ballhandling/creation).

2) Kidd wants McGee and promises him a starting role (McGee then absolutely sucks).

3) Nico trades for Wood, then Kidd refuses to start him and refuses to play him in clutch minutes and refuses to give him starter level minutes while purposely trashing him in post game comments (Wood meanwhile plays REALLY well but then stops getting the ball in recent games).

4) It is reported all of this was done autonomously by Nico and Kidd and that Cuban was not involved or entangled with it.

• I like Nico listening to his coach as you need to do this as a GM. 
  • I love Cuban staying out of things. 
  • But I HATE Kidd as the defacto GM and talent evaluator. This team is going to go nowhere quick if Nico doesn't figure out a way to get Kidd in his place. But I am not sure how that is going to happen.

I am calling it now: I do not think this has a happy ending for us Mavs fans.

I feel like Kidd had influence on the Brown signing, the Dragic non signing, and the McGee signing.  Those all look like (or were) bad decisions, but we are talking about a min contract, a 3 mil/year contract, and a 5 mil/year contract.  By far the biggest GM decisions were Wood and letting Brunson walk, and I don't think he was a significant factor in either.

Way too early to talk conspiracy theories regarding Wood.  Didn't Nico say that both have to prove it to each other?  Seems like we are in that stage right now.  Roster decisions never move fast enough for fans, but Kidd has always been methodical regarding this.  It will take some time.  Way too early to come to these kind of conclusions.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, F Gump
Like Reply
(11-04-2022, 04:45 PM)mvossman Wrote: Way too early to come to these kind of conclusions.

It is definitely too early to be definite. But I am making my call that this is what is going on because I see too many subtle signs pointing this direction. I hope I am wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/1589419122164699136
Like Reply
I member when Brunson signed with the Knicks and everyone was like at least we got Dinwiddie and Dragic.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Kidd might not be the GM, but obviously he has influence in roster construction. That's not a bad thing.

But if your pitch to the GM is McGee, then the GM has the right to question what the coach wants. Unless of course, the GM doesn't have an idea of what he is doing.
Like Reply
This is a ridiculous thread. 

The real issue here is that there has been no clear accountability as to where the buck stops wrt personnel decisions. Previously some said the same thing about RC while others said he didn’t have much influence. When he left we got some peek into what was happening behind the scenes and it was way worse than any of us thought. 

Cuban now hires a neophyte GM. Even if he were experienced this roster needs a lot of work no small thanks to Cuban persisting with Donnie for so long. However an experienced GM would at least let you know where the buck stops at. 

As far as Kidd’s coaching and rotations, this roster is junk other than Luka. Wood is not 22. He is 27 and has been with many teams. Everyone gave up on him despite his obvious offensive talent. Houston could not wait for someone to give up something for him. I still think it was a good gamble. I see Utah making it work with Markannen who has defensive deficiencies as well. However what we don’t know is if Wood is flat out not listening to the coaches. What other tool does a coach have other than minutes? 

We can’t use the Roddy B analogy. Kidd gave a lot of time to Josh Green unlike RC. Kidd is still persisting with him despite the playoffs failure. He would have been firmly in RC doghouse by now and we would all be defending RC.  So it is not that Kidd won’t work with a player who has some clear deficiencies. 

I was not a fan of the Kidd hire. My biggest worry was if an ex star really wanted to grind like a NBA coach has to. I hadn’t followed him much in his previous stints. Kidd has surpassed my expectations. If anything he probably needs to back up a little bit.  All the roster things and lineups, as I said, I refuse to blame Kidd because that is on Cuban to hire a proper GM and have a defined hierarchy. Until then that problem will be there even if Kidd is let go. Just like that problem was there all these years when RC was the HC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply