Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 7: UTA (6-3) @ DAL (4-3) | 103-100 win
(11-03-2022, 10:21 AM)mvossman Wrote: This is an extremely good point.  I remember after the TDL thinking we were completely screwed with Powell as the lone big.  It was maybe Kidd's greatest coaching accomplishment that he somehow turned Powell into a useful single big.  It all fell apart in the playoffs, and I think it was so bad it made most of us forget that Powell has spent most of his career with a floor spacing big (Maxi and KP).

If you recognize that Powell still has value, it makes the McGee signing all the more puzzling.  You are basically looking for a third center that can soak up some minutes and bruising throughout the regular season.  That is a minimum signing, not 3/17 and a starting role for a mid 30s backup center.

In the big scheme of things, it was a small gamble.  $6m/year pales in comparison with some bigger decisions, such as whether to extend Wood, and at what price. Or whether to offer Brunson $30m/year.

All the angst reminds me of the Burke $3m/yr kerfluffle.

Maybe McGee just contributes 8 or 10 minutes per game of net-neutral play.  Maybe he's the kryptonite for a couple of specific centers he's matched up against throughout the season.  A complementary piece, not a cornerstone. Don't sweat the $6m.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 7: UTA (6-3) @ DAL (4-3) | 103-100 win - by DallasMaverick - 11-03-2022, 10:56 AM