Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
Jason Kidd, if you are reading this: Wood is not Porzingis. Not playing Wood more and as a starter along in Luka lineups and to finish games, can and will decrease the team performance. Put Wood and SD next to Luka, two creative players that can get to the rim, and let any team try doubling, they will stop with it very soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 11:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You're right...only I'm starting to feel like the guy they should move on from is Kidd.

Kidd will no doubt be a Mav longer than Wood.

Don’t get attached to Wood.
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 09:33 AM)Smitty Wrote: Kidd will no doubt be a Mav longer than Wood.

Don’t get attached to Wood.

Oh, I agree 100%.
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 11:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You're right...only I'm starting to feel like the guy they should move on from is Kidd.
I agree with you 100%. The only problem is Cuban sat on his ass and watched that post championship disaster for 10 years and still didn’t do anything. The only reason anything changed was because Donnie and Rick decided to quit. When it comes to Jason Kidd just call me Bartlett bear but I don’t think Cuban is going to fire his buddy anytime soon. Sadly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BasketballJones41's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
If we do trade Wood this season, any chance we get a FRP back?
Like Reply
Have you learned nothing my young grasshopper?

We will get back an 30 year old+ vet on a bad contract that ultimately disappoints.
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 04:30 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Have you learned nothing my young grasshopper?

We will get back an 30 year old+ vet on a bad contract that ultimately disappoints.

OK, it took me a little bit to look this up to fit your scenario.  Utah has 3 FRP's, so would you do Wood for Olynyk (31) and there least favorable 2023 FRP?  Olynyk doesn't help our need for rebounding.  But my question was - can we recoup an FRP in a Wood trade.

The Knicks and the Pacers also have 3 FRP's this summer.
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 05:17 PM)chaparral Wrote: OK, it took me a little bit to look this up to fit your scenario.  Utah has 3 FRP's, so would you do Wood for Olynyk (31) and there least favorable 2023 FRP?  Olynyk doesn't help our need for rebounding.  But my question was - can we recoup an FRP in a Wood trade.

The Knicks and the Pacers also have 3 FRP's this summer.

What pick # was the one we gave up for Wood?

Are we setting this up to where we think we did good by acquiring Wood to flip for Olynyk and a similar pick back?

Unless we get a good player back or a tastier FRP back...its a loss to me.

Im out on Olynyk.  Hes a chucker or at least use to be.  I dont know about his all around game or defense.  I think its safe to say that I would prefer a better quality players than Kelly.

Why are we always after these fringe guys that we are literally running as fast as we can to barely make it to first base?  If we even beat the throw out.   These singles that are talked about around here are not ideal to me.   Im all for playing the "hit singles" game...but at least target decent players.  This is why I think Draft is better than these hoping for a single vets.
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 05:30 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: What pick # was the one we gave up for Wood?

Are we setting this up to where we think we did good by acquiring Wood to flip for Olynyk and a similar pick back?

Unless we get a good player back or a tastier FRP back...its a loss to me.

Im out on Olynyk.  Hes a chucker or at least use to be.  I dont know about his all around game or defense.  I think its safe to say that I would prefer a better quality players than Kelly.

Why are we always after these fringe guys that we are literally running as fast as we can to barely make it to first base?  If we even beat the throw out.   These singles that are talked about around here are not ideal to me.   Im all for playing the "hit singles" game...but at least target decent players.  This is why I think Draft is better than these hoping for a single vets.

We would be getting a FRP for taking on 2 years (this and next) of Oylnyk for one of UTH picks.  Right now, they are listed at 14, 17 and 18.  Mavs gave up the 26th pick to get Wood.  I'm not a fan of Oylnyk either it is the pick I'm looking to acquire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 04:25 PM)chaparral Wrote: If we do trade Wood this season, any chance we get a FRP back?

Seeing as Houston had him on the market for over a year with a FRP asking price and according to McMahon the Mavs were literally the first nibble they got, I kind of doubt it. Maybe if he starts getting minutes and plays consistently well.
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 06:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Seeing as Houston had him on the market for over a year with a FRP asking price and according to McMahon the Mavs were literally the first nibble they got, I kind of doubt it. Maybe if he starts getting minutes and plays consistently well.

Oh wow, this new is more depressing than Kidd not giving him 30 mins a night.  Thanks, KL, for sharing this news...

Other players in Wood's $$ range are McDermott, Rose and Kuzma.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...2137805824
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 07:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...2137805824
Lmao
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 09:31 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: There is something about Wood I cant quite put my finger on.  He for sure has the gift of being able to score...no question.  But something about his game rubs me the wrong way.  Does he not look like a guy that has never worked on his game?  He seems so gifted yet...and I hate to use this word because it might not be what I am exactly trying to say...so sloppy.  He looks like a high school football player came into the basketball gym and running with the basketball players but just coasting on athleticism or God given talent.  He just doesnt seem like a crisp player to me...someone that is working on their game constantly.

Not saying he doesnt deserve to play or that I am anti-Wood...there is just something visibly off with his game to me.  It seems amateurish.
I can’t believe I’m gonna say this but I completely agree. He looks like a goofball that just strolled in after a nap and dropped 20/8. 

On one hand, we are so limited offensively we need him to play. But I think kammrath is way overrating him. He reminds me of Chris Gatling (for the old guys). Every time he played, he got buckets. But he was always a bench role player.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • F Gump, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 09:08 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I think kammrath is way overrating him

Who do you think is a more talented basketball player on the Mavs than Wood other than Luka? Serious question. 

I don't think Wood is special....I just think he is better than everybody on the Mavs not named Luka.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 09:08 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I can’t believe I’m gonna say this but I completely agree. He looks like a goofball that just strolled in after a nap and dropped 20/8. 

On one hand, we are so limited offensively we need him to play. But I think kammrath is way overrating him. He reminds me of Chris Gatling (for the old guys). Every time he played, he got buckets. But he was always a bench role player.

Let's hope Mavs repeat history here with Wood making the All-Star game and then being part of a big 8 or 9 player trade at the TDL, just like Gatling.
Like Reply
Feels like his good moments come in small bursts. Scoreless quarters. Followed by 10+ points within 2-3 minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • dynamicalVoid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-27-2022, 09:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Feels like his good moments come in small bursts. Scoreless quarters. Followed by 10+ points within 2-3 minutes.

Yeah it has been a recurring theme how he gets his points.   He is really good at it.   For me personally, it just raises more questions.
Like Reply
My post from the game thread:

The "issue" is obvious. He is not a get his own type player like Luka or Dinwiddie. Can he post up and get his own every once in a while? Yes. Should he be relied on to do it? No. Luka setting him up has and will work wonders. He can be the key release valve in the middle when Luka gets doubled if this moronic coach ever figures it out.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BigDirk41, dynamicalVoid
Like Reply
I think the word I am looking for is "refined".

His game does not look crisp and refined...like someone that works on their game constantly.

I agree with Kam, though.  Wood probably is more valuable than anyone else based on his ability to score and size.  Green will surpass him soon most likely as one of the best 3andD players in the League.  Spencer is a solid player but not as rare as Wood.

Anyway.  I hope Wood works out.  I still think he gets used in a Playoff setting though.  Why does he always seem late on defense in the paint?  I dont know if its on him or is he is barely missing on weakside help defense...but he seems like his length should be making things more disruptive for the other team.  Instead it seems like he gets scored on in the paint.  On the other hand...he seems somewhat fine on smaller guys or on the perimeter.   Maybe Im wrong on the perimeter defense or smaller guy defense...but he sure does seem to not make it tougher on guys in the paint.
Like Reply