Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
Different position but maybe his comp should be Mavs Legend Monta Ellis.  All the talent in the world and can fill it up but his ability to affect the outcome of games is nowhere near the ability or talent.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:58 PM)cow Wrote: Different position but maybe his comp should be Mavs Legend Monta Ellis.  All the talent in the world and can fill it up but his ability to affect the outcome of games is nowhere near the ability or talent.

I buy that comp. 

I think the difference is that Ellis was given every chance in the world to be a featured player on good teams, and just was what he was. 

Wood's fans, myself among them, feel as though he has never really been given a shot to grow into such a role. And for my money, he succeeded enough here in this opportunity to justify another lease on it. But, committing to that, from the Mavs' perspective, simply isn't a "win-now" proposition, and they really only have until this deadline to decide. So, it's "hey, if you're willing to try and be a bench scoring 3rd big, let's get it!" And no, he isn't. 

I'm not convinced committing to patiently build around Luka/Wood isn't a better path than what they chose, considering Luka is 23 and under contract. BUT, when you trade for a 31 year old superstar, you're announcing to the world that you're going for it NOW. That goal makes bringing along a young guy like Wood in a featured role kind of not a great idea.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Portis.  I think it is a mistake to think Wood is a 19/9 guy and try to pay him like other 19/9 guys.  Look at his per minute rebounds and point that last year in Detroit and the combination of years in Houston.  It hasn’t changed a bit.  Both teams moved on from him and one, Houston, struggled for months to find a taker.  Did that magically change because he spent a few months in Dallas?

Looking at the last couple of seasons per 36, Wood is roughly 22 and 11 on TS over 60%.  Portis is 19 and 12 on TS in the upper 50s.  Wood also averages a block and assist (and turnover) more than Portis and he is a better creator.  Its a good comp, but Wood is clearly the better player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: Looking at the last couple of seasons per 36, Wood is roughly 22 and 11 on TS over 60%.  Portis is 19 and 12 on TS in the upper 50s.  Wood also averages a block and assist (and turnover) more than Portis and he is a better creator.  Its a good comp, but Wood is clearly the better player.

Also Portis signed that contract to keep contending for more championships. Mavs haven't earned that right yet. Portis would have commanded more money on the open market.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I buy that comp. 

I think the difference is that Ellis was given every chance in the world to be a featured player on good teams, and just was what he was. 

Wood's fans, myself among them, feel as though he has never really been given a shot to grow into such a role. And for my money, he succeeded enough here in this opportunity to justify another lease on it. But, committing to that, from the Mavs' perspective, simply isn't a "win-now" proposition, and they really only have until this deadline to decide. So, it's "hey, if you're willing to try and be a bench scoring 3rd big, let's get it!" And no, he isn't. 

I'm not convinced committing to patiently build around Luka/Wood isn't a better path than what they chose, considering Luka is 23 and under contract. BUT, when you trade for a 31 year old superstar, you're announcing to the world that you're going for it NOW. That goal makes bringing along a young guy like Wood in a featured role kind of not a great idea.

Kind of an aside but something I've been thinking about a lot is that we need to be careful with the sentiment that "Luka is only 23".  Because of early start in professional basketball, he'll be in his prime sooner than the typical NBA player.  He's got more wear and tear on him as well especially considering how he is deployed today.  I also get the feeling that he isn't planning on a 20-year career but for that, we can point to his youth and say "who knows?".

No idea what to do with Wood.  There are times when he looks like a poor man's KD.  There are times when he looks lost.  There are times when he looks disinterested.  The last one is terrifying considering this is a contract year.  I just want to know what the professional evaluators see that his fans don't.  He seemingly doesn't have a lot of value or appeal to most of the NBA but he can could easily be a 20-10 guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I buy that comp. 

If we are talking about win now, I would argue that bringing Wood off the bench (he would still be playing with Luka or Kyrie) would likely be more valuable than what it sounds like we might get in a trade for him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: If we are talking about win now, I would argue that bringing Wood off the bench (he would still be playing with Luka or Kyrie) would likely be more valuable than what it sounds like we might get in a trade for him.

For this season, but than he is likely gone. Based on this I would prefer someone who would fit in the longer term plan. But I agree, if the window is now, than you keep him and try to win it all
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:31 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Also Portis signed that contract to keep contending for more championships. Mavs haven't earned that right yet. Portis would have commanded more money on the open market.

THIS is a good point.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: If we are talking about win now, I would argue that bringing Wood off the bench (he would still be playing with Luka or Kyrie) would likely be more valuable than what it sounds like we might get in a trade for him.

Yeah, I agree to an extent, because even though the role would be reduced to "rolling or popping" and finishing plays, never initiating them, those are things he does very well. 

The problem is that he doesn't view himself in that role. Do they get his best down the stretch, or will he be immature about it? They probably have a better guess about that than we do, given the experience working with him every day. 

And, this is just my personal opinion, but "win-now" is a relative concept. I can see how continuing to focus on nurturing Wood's slow development might seem like a waste of energy to them in the short-term now, in the post Irving trade world, but I, personally, don't think it's wise to go so far that direction that you just resign yourself to letting him walk. Again, my belief as of today is that they have already determined what it would take to re-sign him and don't even WANT to do so. If that's correct, I'm sorry, but give me SOMETHING in exchange. 

Although I suppose each individual might draw that "win-now" line in a different place, if that makes sense.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:32 PM)cow Wrote: Kind of an aside but something I've been thinking about a lot is that we need to be careful with the sentiment that "Luka is only 23".  Because of early start in professional basketball, he'll be in his prime sooner than the typical NBA player.  He's got more wear and tear on him as well especially considering how he is deployed today.  I also get the feeling that he isn't planning on a 20-year career but for that, we can point to his youth and say "who knows?".

Agreed. Luka has consistently been about two years ahead of what I expected, developmentally. He really is ready right now to win a ring, if the team around him has enough synergy and cohesion (I think those things require time together as much as or maybe more than talent, even, but that's a different conversation). I've come around a bit on the trade, but not because my opinion of Irving has changed. I'm just reluctantly going with the idea that this year and next MIGHT be the best seasons of Luka's career...you know, the whole "can't wait when you have the superstar ready" mentality. The Mavs are leaning in on that, and so I will, too. 

On the other hand, I can't help but to think it's going to take him another 4-5 years to grow up enough that he stops arguing with officials when he should be getting into defensive transition, etc, etc. 

Idk...part of me is still stuck in mourning over the Luka/Giannis pairing that was planned a few years ago and the dynasty that would've been created. All subsequent plans have seemed cheap and surface level by comparison. I've been holding out hope that they could find a way to pull themselves out of this hole and assemble a team that could be good for 5-7 years IN A ROW. Clearly, this is now destined to be a year-to-year endeavor with successes/failures along the way.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: From the Shams report yesterday it sounds like the Mavs have already offered him more than the 2-year money suggested by some here as his worth, and he won't sign it. I can see that he's despondent, but he has to choose between personal and professional contentment and what might not be that much more money.

What Shams report?
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk...part of me is still stuck in mourning over the Luka/Giannis pairing that was planned a few years ago and the dynasty that would've been created. All subsequent plans have seemed cheap and surface level by comparison. I've been holding out hope that they could find a way to pull themselves out of this hole and assemble a team that could be good for 5-7 years IN A ROW. Clearly, this is now destined to be a year-to-year endeavor with successes/failures along the way.

In contrast I am still thinking about missed opportunities because they had to chase pipe dreams. Imagine a roster building process that isn´t interrupted by some extremly risky attempts to short cut the way to the top.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 02:02 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In contrast I am still thinking about missed opportunities because they had to chase pipe dreams. Imagine a roster building process that isn´t interrupted by some extremly risky attempt to short cut the way to the top.
Can I please get more likes for this post???!!!
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 02:02 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In contrast I am still thinking about missed opportunities because they had to chase pipe dreams. Imagine a roster building process that isn´t interrupted by some extremly risky attempt to short cut the way to the top.

Same point, made in reverse. 

What we're both saying is that the time to build "the right way" (which honestly just means "successfully", regardless of approach) was during those years when Luka was on his rookie contract. 

Alas, they failed. Let's hope they handle this next few seasons better than Cleveland did.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 02:00 PM)F Gump Wrote: What Shams report?

I posted it yesterday but am unwilling to troll through the board digging it out again. Basically, it was an interview with him about the Kyrie trade where he was talking about the Mavs' plans moving forward. He said in passing, "From what I've been told, the Mavericks have offered Wood an extension." And then he might sign it, or if not, the Mavs likely try to move him. That was it.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 02:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Same point, made in reverse. 

What we're both saying is that the time to build "the right way" (which honestly just means "successfully", regardless of approach) was during those years when Luka was on his rookie contract. 

Alas, they failed. Let's hope they handle this next few seasons better than Cleveland did.

My hopes are crushed. I think you still have a chance. It seems like they are going for a have it both ways approach with Kyrie. If things fall apart they could create capspace and continue their hunt for the white whale in free agency.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 11:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I also expect him to be traded and for the value to be surprisingly small.

I agree that the Mavs should look to trade Wood, but they shouldn't trade him just to trade him.

A low value trade (ala Barnes), just doesn't work out for the better in the long run. I'd rather use Wood and let him walk. 

Although I guess it depends on how low his value is. If the return is Justin Jackson, then we gotta keep him. If we're getting an Okoro or Hart, then sell as fast as you can.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 02:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: My hopes are crushed. I think you still have a chance. It seems like they are going for a have it both ways approach with Kyrie. If things fall apart they could create capspace and continue their hunt for the white whale in free agency.

Not really, because the growing trend is that players aren't making it to UFA anymore. Unless you're Jalen Brunson, playing for the Mavericks, it seems like the advantages baked into the CBA to allow teams to keep their homegrown stars are starting to work. Loads of extensions these past two-three seasons. 

I think that era of 3-4 All Stars changing teams on July 4 is over, for now.

Just for example, the high water mark for next year's FA class is already down to the likes of Fred VanVleet, and I bet he doesn't even make it that far. 

Ironically, the Mavs will probably have the bird rights of the biggest name to actually hit UFA AGAIN.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 02:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I agree that the Mavs should look to trade Wood, but they shouldn't trade him just to trade him.

A low value trade (ala Barnes), just doesn't work out for the better in the long run. I'd rather use Wood and let him walk. 

Although I guess it depends on how low his value is. If the return is Justin Jackson, then we gotta keep him. If we're getting an Okoro or Hart, then sell as fast as you can.

You summed it up well. I was of course only a day or two ago on the "Mavs are nuts not to give Wood the farm" train, but what we saw last night, as well as reflecting on how the Kyrie trade and Green and Hardy's emergence affects the future, I would like to see him play with this team this year a la Brunson, but if anything of value comes back, they have to take advantage of that.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 01:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: Looking at the last couple of seasons per 36, Wood is roughly 22 and 11 on TS over 60%.  Portis is 19 and 12 on TS in the upper 50s.  Wood also averages a block and assist (and turnover) more than Portis and he is a better creator.  Its a good comp, but Wood is clearly the better player.

There are other factors to consider as well. Remember Carlisle used to say Powell brings a "level of physicality" and "disposition" that this team needs? Portis brings some of that to the Bucks. He's not a great defender but he's a little nasty and seems like a tireless worker.

Wood seems more of a fun-loving guy; a free spirit with star talent, but a laugh-and-giggle on the bench work ethic. 

Keep in mind this team is 7-15 and the worst defensive team in the league when Wood plays 28+ minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply