Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-07-2023, 05:37 AM)omahen Wrote: It all depends how they see the Irving situation and it is possible they see him as a long term solution. In this case, I am not sure there is place for Wood. Doesn't mean I agree with the strategy, just pointing out what Mavs thinking might be. Since they went with Kyrie, I guess they made their gamble and all we can do is hope it will work.

The FO might want Kyrie to stay, but this is Kyrie, he defies logic.
Nothing is certain with this dude.
The Mavs plan might not be Kyrie's plan at all.

But let's say Kyrie is here to stay.
Couldn't the Mavs wait for next year's TDL for them to ship out Wood?
Unless Wood makes a drastic dip from his play, he isn't someone who's on the level of Bertans and THJ in terms of trade value.
They can trade him for a better return.
I could understand if trading Wood now gets you a first rounder plus a useful (yet underwhelming) player. And that FRP will be used for the next big trade.
But if it's just a guy like Plumlee (not him exactly, but those types) and NO PICK, then I rather stick with Wood and let him walk. 

At least get a puncher's chance this season than diminishing your talent base with someone who's the 8th or 9th man in the rotation (because IMHo, that's who the Mavs would get for Wood).

Of course, the Mavs can expand a trade with THJ and/or Bullock to get a first, but still I don't see the returning player would be more talented than Wood. The Mavs (IMho) would be taking a step or two back instead of going all-in.
With the uncertainty of Kyrie, they might not get to step forward after that 2 steps back.
Like Reply
Sort of feels like Wood sees himself as around the 3rd best player while the Mavericks see him as a important top 7-8 player on a championship team.  Some nights being the second best player, but other nights getting 20 or so minutes a night.

While I have my opinions, I am not sure which one is right.    There are cases for both IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 09:22 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sort of feels like Wood sees himself as around the 3rd best player while the Mavericks see him as a important top 7-8 player on a championship team.  Some nights being the second best player, but other nights getting 20 or so minutes a night.

3rd best player is debateable (IMO it's not and he clearly is, as currently stands). But 3rd OPTION, should not be debateable. He's so clearly that right now that if they are questioning that, I would question their intelligence.

Of course if Josh Green can pull that performance out his ass on any kind of consistent basis that might change. I feel like it was more a one off though and he's probably a year or two away from that being more consistently in his bag.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Wood was just coming back off injury. Last night isn't an indication of anything imo. It was probably to show he was healthy and let him get some reps in. He is the clear #3 on this team if he stays.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 09:32 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Wood was just coming back off injury. Last night isn't an indication of anything imo. It was probably to show he was healthy and let him get some reps in. He is the clear #3 on this team if he stays.

I agree. He also seemed to favor his lower leg at one point. I noticed it when he was shooting a free throw. Wincing and favoring it a bit. Could be nothing but it could explain some of the lack of 4th quarter minutes.
Like Reply
I was extremely surprised Wood didn't start yesterday. I took it as an indication how Mavs see him. I might be wrong, but I really expect he gets traded by Thursday
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:30 AM)omahen Wrote: I was extremely surprised Wood didn't start yesterday. I took it as an indication how Mavs see him. I might be wrong, but I really expect he gets traded by Thursday

It might be simply a matter of easing him back in the rotation coming off an injury.  It could also be for balance in the rotation to give the bench a little offensive punch.

But, this is the role I’ve always seen as his highest and best use.  It is a valuable role, but it isn’t a $17mm role.  The $13mm number would be a hair high for this role.  I also expect him to be traded and for the value to be surprisingly small.  I’ve mentioned the other Morris brother from LAC and as the means of moving Bertan’s money for expiring but out of the rotation Love and maybe another player.  I don’t see it being much more than that unless we add a pick.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 11:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It might be simply a matter of easing him back in the rotation coming off an injury.  It could also be for balance in the rotation to give the bench a little offensive punch.

But, this is the role I’ve always seen as his highest and best use.  It is a valuable role, but it isn’t a $17mm role.  The $13mm number would be a hair high for this role.  I also expect him to be traded and for the value to be surprisingly small.  I’ve mentioned the other Morris brother from LAC and as the means of moving Bertan’s money for expiring but out of the rotation Love and maybe another player.  I don’t see it being much more than that unless we add a pick.

Dude can create his offense, has an inside outside game and does it with a very efficient 63% TS. He's also a very good rebounder. His offensive skillset is also pretty much perfectly matched with both Kyrie and Luka. This team can't afford to ship him off for a random role player, leaving us with only two reliable shot creators and scorers in Luka and Kyrie. Green and Hardy having good single games don't make them reliable shot creators or scorers. THJ is the definition of unreliable. There's nothing after that. Too many eggs in two baskets offensively IMO. They have to get some equivalent or close to, offense in return IMO. But I'm perfectly fine keeping him. Put a defensive big next to him so he doesn't have to defend those types of players, and I think he's more than passable defensively with his underrated weak side help. I think a 18-20 ppg guy on excellent overall efficiency shooting near 40% from 3 grabbing 8-9 boards is worth much more than 13 mill
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 11:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It might be simply a matter of easing him back in the rotation coming off an injury.  It could also be for balance in the rotation to give the bench a little offensive punch.

I think the big disconnect is in Wood's perception of his own value, and the Mavs' (and the rest of the league).

If Wood is only willing to sign a 4-year deal at starter's dollars:
1. Mavs aren't going to re-sign him, and
2. Teams who might acquire him aren't, either.  So he's just a rental.

On the free-agent market, who's willing to pay him? All it takes is one team that's convinced of his value.  But wouldn't that team be calling Nico, offering some minimal bench player now, in order to obtain the opportunity to re-sign him rather than have to bid on an open free-agent market?

I think MLE might do it.

I do not think the Mavericks can sign him at market price. He's convinced he's worth more.
Like Reply
The Kyrie situation has changed everything IMHo.
He can walk this off-season.
And if he does -- it's going to be another year or two of waiting to compete (if they're lucky).

The time to compete is now while Kyrie is probably going to be in his best behaviour.
Not to mention the West is an open race.

Why step back now and downgrade from Wood?
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 11:37 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think the big disconnect is in Wood's perception of his own value, and the Mavs' (and the rest of the league).

If Wood is only willing to sign a 4-year deal at starter's dollars:
1. Mavs aren't going to re-sign him, and
2. Teams who might acquire him aren't, either.  So he's just a rental.

On the free-agent market, who's willing to pay him? All it takes is one team that's convinced of his value.  But wouldn't that team be calling Nico, offering some minimal bench player now, in order to obtain the opportunity to re-sign him rather than have to bid on an open free-agent market?

I think MLE might do it.

I do not think the Mavericks can sign him at market price. He's convinced he's worth more.

I mean his production shows he's worth more than what you are saying. Teams clearly don't value him the way he might, but there's nothing about his production that says he's wrong to value himself the way he would. As far as I'm concerned all his flaws on the court constantly get overstated too. I hope we do get to see him in the playoffs. He will get exploited defensively if we don't have a defensive big next to him, but offensively his game should translate just fine IMO.
Like Reply
No use arguing with folks who think the NBA just doesn't get Christian Wood, but the player I see still makes a lot of bad decisions. That said, Wood has value to this team as a bench scorer. I've used this comp before but think Bobby Portis. 24-26 MPG. He's worth $10-12 million but will be offered a bit more. I wouldn't sign him for more than two years.
[-] The following 4 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply

What is your comp on this?  Guys who get 19 and 9 on very good efficiency and can create their own shot with suspect defense.  The closest I can come up with is Collins, who is probably better defensively, but not as good offensively, and he got 25 mil (and was restricted).  Guys like Timmy, Powell, Robinson and Bertans who can shoot/score with suspect defense all got roughly 18 mil.  I would rather have Wood than those guys.  Sexton just got 18 as a restricted free agent who can't play defense or rebound and his assist to turnover ratio is terrible.  I would take Wood over any of the guys mentioned.  Who is the guy in his mid to upper 20s with Wood's offensive skill that signed a UFA under 15?
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:09 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: No use arguing with folks who think the NBA just doesn't get Christian Wood, but the player I see still makes a lot of bad decisions. That said, Wood has value to this team as a bench scorer. I've used this comp before but think Bobby Portis. 24-26 MPG. He's worth $10-12 million but will be offered a bit more. I wouldn't sign him for more than two years.

This has been Dan’s take all season. I don’t agree with it, but I’m starting to feel like the Mavericks do, so kudos to him. If one assumes that the team has been negotiating with him under the assumption that this role is where they are headed with their plan for him, but that he still wants a chance to be a featured player with the ball in his hands and the chance for the salary that comes with that bigger role, it’s easy to imagine why he is being shopped right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This has been Dan’s take all season. I don’t agree with it, but I’m starting to feel like the Mavericks do, so kudos to him. If one assumes that the team has been negotiating with him under the assumption that this role is where they are headed with their plan for him, but that he still wants a chance to be a featured player with the ball in his hands and the chance for the salary that comes with that bigger role, it’s easy to imagine why he is being shopped right now.

The Mavs have never been wrong before.

Brunson
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:18 PM)Smitty Wrote: The Mavs have never been wrong before.

Brunson

I think everything they’ve done for years (except in the draft, ironically. They are becoming a low key good drafting team) has been wrong. 

I’m just trying to make sense of the plan. This is how I see it playing out.

What I think is pretty blatant at this point is that Wood’s goal is to be an “All Star” who has the ball thrown to him at a variety of spots on the floor so he can attempt to create offense. Just like what Porzingis wanted. Unlike KP, CW is actually pretty good at doing that, but not at an all star, difference making level yet.

The Mavericks apparently NEVER wanted to pay him like that type of player, so that’s disconnect number one. Disconnect number two is that now, after the trade, any and all opportunity or motivation to continue developing those skills with him, at least for this season, have evaporated.

It is literally take what you can get for him at this trade deadline, which might not be much, or watch him expire and walk away in the summer. Those are the choices. Because the Irving trade has put this team in the very definition of a “win now “situation, I’m betting that they are looking at veterans who have actually succeeded in playoff series before.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:09 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: No use arguing with folks who think the NBA just doesn't get Christian Wood, but the player I see still makes a lot of bad decisions. That said, Wood has value to this team as a bench scorer. I've used this comp before but think Bobby Portis. 24-26 MPG. He's worth $10-12 million but will be offered a bit more. I wouldn't sign him for more than two years.

Ha!  I just asked for a comp after you posted this.  Bobby Portis is a pretty good comp.  I think Wood is more efficient offensively and a better creator, and I think he works better at center as he can protect the rim some.  I think the Bucks got a good deal on Portis.  Is there another guy out there like this?
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think everything they’ve done for years (except in the draft, ironically. They are becoming a low key good drafting team) has been wrong. 

I’m just trying to make sense of the plan. This is how I see it playing out.

What I think is pretty blatant at this point is that Wood’s goal is to be an “All Star” who has the ball thrown to him at a variety of spots on the floor so he can attempt to create offense. Just like what Porzingis wanted. Unlike KP, CW is actually pretty good at doing that, but not at an all star, difference making level yet.

The Mavericks apparently NEVER wanted to pay him like that type of player, so that’s disconnect number one. Disconnect number two is that now, after the trade, any, and all opportunity and motivation to continue developing those skills with him, this season have evaporated.

The Mavericks apparently NEVER wanted to pay him like that type of player, so that’s disconnect number one. Disconnect number two is that now, after the trade, any and all opportunity or motivation to continue developing those skills with him, this season have evaporated.

It is literally take what you can get for him at this trade deadline, which might not be much, or watch him, expire and walk away in the summer. Those are the choices. Because the Irving trade has put this team, in the very definition of a “win now “situation, I’m betting that they are looking at veterans who have actually succeeded in playoff series before.

I agree with your assumption of the Mavs thinking. I have believed since day one that he was a means to a greater end. That his time here would be temporary. I just hope that now that they found themselves in bed with Kyrie, at least for this year, you don’t trade him just to trade him. If it gets you a defensive wing or big in return, sure. But you’re much better off just letting him walk in the off-season than trading for someone like Love or others. Upgrade somewhere or keep him for the Kyrie+Luka run this year.

Now THJ on the other hand, he needs to be gone regardless if it’s an upgrade or not. Addition by subtraction is just fine for me.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 12:16 PM)mvossman Wrote: What is your comp on this?  Guys who get 19 and 9 on very good efficiency and can create their own shot with suspect defense.  The closest I can come up with is Collins, who is probably better defensively, but not as good offensively, and he got 25 mil (and was restricted).  Guys like Timmy, Powell, Robinson and Bertans who can shoot/score with suspect defense all got roughly 18 mil.  I would rather have Wood than those guys.  Sexton just got 18 as a restricted free agent who can't play defense or rebound and his assist to turnover ratio is terrible.  I would take Wood over any of the guys mentioned.  Who is the guy in his mid to upper 20s with Wood's offensive skill that signed a UFA under 15?

Portis.  I think it is a mistake to think Wood is a 19/9 guy and try to pay him like other 19/9 guys.  Look at his per minute rebounds and point that last year in Detroit and the combination of years in Houston.  It hasn’t changed a bit.  Both teams moved on from him and one, Houston, struggled for months to find a taker.  Did that magically change because he spent a few months in Dallas?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
From the Shams report yesterday it sounds like the Mavs have already offered him more than the 2-year money suggested by some here as his worth, and he won't sign it. I can see that he's despondent, but he has to choose between personal and professional contentment and what might not be that much more money.
Like Reply