Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...9067417606
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • cow, Smitty
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 08:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...9067417606

Love that he's taking accountability.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 01:11 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Could it be possible that the Wood needing to buy in narrative was just cringe bullshit? I wouldn't be surprised if this is all just a cover for having to promise a starting spot to JaVale fucking McGee.

Sure, McGee started. But he only played 14 minutes and I'm not sure he saw the floor in the 4th quarter at all. So clearly he wasn't promised closing minutes that kept Wood off the floor late. 

It will come. And if Wood can prove himself defensively while making his FTs, it will happen sooner than later.
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, MrGoat, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 11:24 AM)Tyler Wrote: Sure, McGee started. But he only played 14 minutes

I mean...on one hand I agree. On the other, he did have about 6 super low basketball IQ moments during those 14 minutes. On this occasion, they didn't really negatively impact the game, but still, they were all choices WCS would've been proud of and that has the potential to be quite frustrating in the future.
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 11:24 AM)Tyler Wrote: Sure, McGee started. But he only played 14 minutes and I'm not sure he saw the floor in the 4th quarter at all. So clearly he wasn't promised closing minutes that kept Wood off the floor late. 

It will come. And if Wood can prove himself defensively while making his FTs, it will happen sooner than later.

It's this, starting McGee makes sense. Not finishing with Wood doesn't, especially with the way he went off in the 3rd/4th.
Like Reply
I'm sure JK wasn't dumb enough to be keeping Wood off the court in the 4th quarter for defensive reasons when the eye test says that he was far more effective on defense than Maxi was when he played. Wood was more effective against Ayton. Kidd was perhaps concerned that Phoenix would start to play hack-a-Wood and that Wood would continue his collapse at the line. If nothing else, for crap's sake, play McGee late in the fourth to stop Ayton. 

In any event, I agree with the earlier comment that there is zero way this crap should happen again.
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 11:52 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm sure JK wasn't dumb enough...

After his coaching in the second half, I'm not sure that's a safe assumption.

#FireKidd
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Not sure what is wrong with him at the FT line but he was a poor FT shooter the past two years at Houston (averaging low 60%). From college to G-League he was more respectable in the 70% range so it SHOULD be something he can fix, unless it's mental. Considering how many fouls we will draw, he needs to improve there
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:20 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Not sure what is wrong with him at the FT line but he was a poor FT shooter the past two years at Houston (averaging low 60%). From college to G-League he was more respectable in the 70% range so it SHOULD be something he can fix, unless it's mental. Considering how many fouls we will draw, he needs to improve there

Unfortunately, I think we're just going to have to live with him bricking free throws, which isn't ideal. 

The good news is that it appears he's going to draw fouls like CRAZY on those multi-option short rolls when he floors the ball. What he lacks in percentage he might make up for in sheer volume.
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 11:52 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm sure JK wasn't dumb enough to be keeping Wood off the court in the 4th quarter for defensive reasons when the eye test says that he was far more effective on defense than Maxi was when he played.

The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that Kidd is most concerned about establishing the right team culture at the moment (even more than wins). It is possible there are certain things they are asking of CW that he isn't doing or ways that he is practicing that Kidd doesn't like, so Kidd is sending the message that the team culture is more important than any one person.......

......well unless you are Luka, then you can do whatever you want. Smile
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 12:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that Kidd is most concerned about establishing the right team culture at the moment (even more than wins). It is possible there are certain things they are asking of CW that he isn't doing or ways that he is practicing that Kidd doesn't like, so Kidd is sending the message that the team culture is more important than any one person.......

......well unless you are Luka, then you can do whatever you want. Smile

I think you're onto something here. I get the feeling given CW's history and things we've already seen that CW gives JK fits in practice and in the locker room. Winning changes everything.
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 01:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: CW's history

The Mavs know infinitely more than we do about his history and what he has been like on teams. I think because of that they are approaching him very carefully. I can respect that. But it SUCKED to watch it cost the team the win last night. But if it turns him into a player that can be alongside Luka long term and be dependable, then it is 100% worth it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1583185235193102337
Like Reply
CW's feel in the pick and roll game was impressive.  I loved his pass to the corner to Bullock (?).  I love his handles.  I love how crafty he is down low.  He might be the second best player on the team.
Like Reply
It’s his lightning quick decision making that I love! No more getting the ball and sitting while the team places itself, then dribble, dribble, dribble in place, then go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 04:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It’s his lightning quick decision making that I love! No more getting the ball and sitting while the team places itself, then dribble, dribble, dribble in place, then go.

I have a feeling I know of whom you speak...
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 03:52 PM)cow Wrote: He might be the second best player on the team.

Might??
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 04:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Might??

Luka is pretty good.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • Jommybone, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 04:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I have a feeling I know of whom you speak...
There's 2 of them and both of them have J and B in their names (one of the 2 has an extra J). So much of that in Mavs recent history, and honestly, Luka does it a bit too. It's just refreshing to see someone get the ball and go!
Like Reply
It's just dumb to not start Wood, even dumber to not put him back in the end of the 4th. Play your best players big minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dirknows's post:
  • BigDirk41, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply