Poll: How do you grade this contract?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
50.00%
17 50.00%
B
41.18%
14 41.18%
C
5.88%
2 5.88%
D
0%
0 0%
F
2.94%
1 2.94%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EXTENSION: Maxi Kleber to DAL for 3 yrs/$33M (thru 2025-26, age 34)
Yes re Maxis' extension! This is good news (and smart GM-ing).

Kleber got the extension that I have been wishing for, and the price was appropriate. It was a good FO move, framed by the fact that the big MLE in 2023 should be about 11.3M and this deal probably starts at 10.8M where the Mavs are offering "the most we can offer." It's a deal everyone can feel good about.

The big plus for the Mavs with this is that it keeps Maxi out of free agency. When you have a player who fits as a key part of your core, you should work to extend at a mutually-reasonable number, whenever doable, rather than let them get to free agency where you have to compete for their services.

The next decision will be Green's 4th year option, that has to be decided before the season starts (probably will wait and see what he looks like in camp).

And then Wood (where they will be juggling "first see how he fits" fitting with "the limits on money/years are stricter for Wood until Dec 23" and with "if he fits, try to keep him from feeling a need to be a free agent where the price becomes iffy"). Right now, the "max" limits for a Wood extension are 2 more years, starting at about $15M, and the result leaves the Mavs in sight of being tax-free in 2023. I would think the Mavs, if they get a positive sense of Wood's fit early in the season, might try to make that happen within that convenient limit.

Bullock would also seem to be one they want to extend, as a key part of their core, but he's not eligible until late next summer.

I know Dougie is also eagerly hoping to see a Powell extension so he can keep making him an issue, but obviously DP's days are done in Dallas when this year ends. They don't have room for him financially, even if they lost their minds, as it would cost Cuban an arm-and-a-leg taxwise to add him to the plans (and I suspect they see his expiring as a trade filler, which means he will be gone if they can find the right swap available).
[-] The following 7 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, haveitall, KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, Tyler
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: EXTENSION: Maxi Kleber to DAL for 3 yrs/$33M (thru 2025-26, age 34) - by F Gump - 09-08-2022, 03:03 PM