Poll: How do you grade this contract?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
50.00%
17 50.00%
B
41.18%
14 41.18%
C
5.88%
2 5.88%
D
0%
0 0%
F
2.94%
1 2.94%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EXTENSION: Maxi Kleber to DAL for 3 yrs/$33M (thru 2025-26, age 34)
This isn't the first time Maxi was a no-show on offense and won't be the last.

But he's still integral to the team and his switchability speaks for itself. Just need him available in 6 months from now ready to go for the playoffs. Until then I'm fine if he has a few off games here and there.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I was chuckling last night watching the game and Wood passing to Maxi a couple of times...I was telling myself "Wood will learn quick about passing to that guy"
Like Reply
For all of those who want to give Maxi concrete shoes and throw him in the Trinity River, he was sick last night. So he isn't Jordan (shrug).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply
Maybe one or two other people have come around to my way of thinking, but this still seems like a very questionable re-sign/extension.  Maxi missing a lot of games is the most predictable aspect, but, as I expected, when he does play, he’s continued his form of the second half of last season — can’t shoot straight, PER of 7, and a true shooting percentage so bad it’s an outlier to the rest of the league. Maxi was clearly a player in decline and he’s not coming back. Overachieving players who have to drain every ounce of effort from their body over a number of years just to stay viable wear out faster. Burning the candle at both ends every single day does that. The Mav’s decision makers are on one of the coldest streaks I’ve ever seen in Metroplex sports. Maxi plus THJ must represent nearly $30 million in near worthless salary. You could have had an excellent player (like retaining JB, for that amount). 

Nico needs a win. I mean KP is somehow playing like a top 10 guy this year, Reggie is in the toilet, JB (who Nico didn’t re-sign when he was first hired like he should have) has continued his excellent play in New York, Maxi’s contract looks like an ocean of wasted money stretching for years, Hardy is lighting it up for the Legends but not the Mavs, Wood is being misused and will probably just walk at the end of the season if this continues (so, the Mavs waste a first round pick).  Even the DFS signing looks bad (he’ll come around though). Oh shit, I just realized Nico also was GM when Hardaway was re-signed. (Nico looks like a disaster right now, TBH).  Only Bob looks to be vindicated as Green turns into a starter quality player. The state of the Nico regime is not good.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Mapka, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-25-2022, 08:53 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Maybe one or two other people have come around to my way of thinking, but this still seems like a very questionable re-sign/extension.  Maxi missing a lot of games is the most predictable aspect, but, as I expected, when he does play, he’s continued his form of the second half of last season — can’t shoot straight, PER of 7, and a true shooting percentage so bad it’s an outlier to the rest of the league. Maxi was clearly a player in decline and he’s not coming back. Overachieving players who have to drain every ounce of effort from their body over a number of years just to stay viable wear out faster. Burning the candle at both ends every single day does that. The Mav’s decision makers are on one of the coldest streaks I’ve ever seen in Metroplex sports. Maxi plus THJ must represent nearly $30 million in near worthless salary. You could have had an excellent player (like retaining JB, for that amount). 

Nico needs a win. I mean KP is somehow playing like a top 10 guy this year, Reggie is in the toilet, JB (who Nico didn’t re-sign when he was first hired like he should have) has continued his excellent play in New York, Maxi’s contract looks like an ocean of wasted money stretching for years, Hardy is lighting it up for the Legends but not the Mavs, Wood is being misused and will probably just walk at the end of the season if this continues (so, the Mavs waste a first round pick).  Even the DFS signing looks bad (he’ll come around though). Oh shit, I just realized Nico also was GM when Hardaway was re-signed. (Nico looks like a disaster right now, TBH).  Only Bob looks to be vindicated as Green turns into a starter quality player. The state of the Nico regime is not good.

Josh Green in a nutshell.  Playing 200mph every second of every game will lead to injury or burn out quick. 

Bob is owed an apology for the Green pick.  Even for the Richardson trade...that trade made sense even if it didnt work out.  Curry cant be played in playoffs...at least Richardson could be.
Like Reply
(11-25-2022, 08:53 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Maybe one or two other people have come around to my way of thinking, but this still seems like a very questionable re-sign/extension.  Maxi missing a lot of games is the most predictable aspect, but, as I expected, when he does play, he’s continued his form of the second half of last season — can’t shoot straight, PER of 7, and a true shooting percentage so bad it’s an outlier to the rest of the league. Maxi was clearly a player in decline and he’s not coming back. Overachieving players who have to drain every ounce of effort from their body over a number of years just to stay viable wear out faster. Burning the candle at both ends every single day does that. The Mav’s decision makers are on one of the coldest streaks I’ve ever seen in Metroplex sports. Maxi plus THJ must represent nearly $30 million in near worthless salary. You could have had an excellent player (like retaining JB, for that amount). 

Nice Post.  I agree...Nico needs a win and needs a win(s) with very little room for error.   

I think most of us thought "that is all we got" when the KP trade happened....even most of the biggest KP distractors.   Well the team really gelled and made the conference finals.  Results matter.

But less than 6 months later, either his moves as GM hasn't worked, trending to not working or have not been a home run success.    I hope the plan is not to throw all our assets at a "second star".   It is one of the reasons why I have been so frustrated with their lack of creativity on their moves.   Swinging and missing on a Sterling Brown or Javele McGee is one thing.   Why not look for a guy hidden in plain site?  I was not on the Bol Bol train, but those are the guys I would love to see us take swings on.  

Nico really needs to have Hardy be a real prospect.   But I was hoping for more guys like him in his two years here.
Like Reply

My brother in Christ Maxi will make you post a retraction sooner rather than later.

KP top 10 player?????? Even if he was (he’s not), we know he didn’t work here.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
Yep.  I doubt Maxi will ever really be healthy for an extended time during the entire length of this contract. He’s a great guy, and that sucks, but this signing is a mini disaster.  Money flushed down the drain. The Mavs front office is kind of clueless, really form all indications.
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 09:46 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Yep.  I doubt Maxi will ever really be healthy for an extended time during the entire length of this contract. He’s a great guy, and that sucks, but this signing is a mini disaster.  Money flushed down the drain. The Mavs front office is kind of clueless, really form all indications.

Respectfully disagree. 

Watch the defense the rest of the season with him out. Then you'll appreciate how important he was.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 09:46 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Yep.  I doubt Maxi will ever really be healthy for an extended time during the entire length of this contract. He’s a great guy, and that sucks, but this signing is a mini disaster.  Money flushed down the drain. The Mavs front office is kind of clueless, really form all indications.

Extension was a good move. They couldn´t afford to lose him for nothing. Not like they could have signed someone else instead.
If Maxi is healthy for the playoffs that is all that matters. Mavs potentially not being good enough to get there in the first place is not about his contract. More about an endless list of other mistakes.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(09-09-2022, 07:45 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Point is, there’s no guarantee he’s “fresh” for the playoffs, and if he’s not, what was the point in the minutes and game restrictions? Also, there’s no way this is how the Mavs are gonna play it out, so what’s the point in discussing it? They’ll play him 25ish mpg until he gets injured. He’ll probably have some preventative rest games here and there, but they’ll continue doing what they have been doing with him, this extension says that.
Hmmmm.
Like Reply
(12-15-2022, 09:56 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Respectfully disagree. 

Watch the defense the rest of the season with him out. Then you'll appreciate how important he was.

I really do appreciate what he “was”. But you get paid for what you’ll be not what you’ve been.  He was important. But his body was clearly breaking down when they resigned him. This is just another in a continuing line of injuries. My best hope is that the Mavs can rescue the situation by using the contract to match salaries in a trade at some point probably next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
I guess the silver lining is his back will be well rested when he comes back. For how long though?
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 02:04 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I guess the silver lining is his back will be well rested when he comes back. For how long though?

I think him missing the last week of the regular season was a blessing in disguise. Two weeks to rest and recover before the first playoff game. It´s not like Maxi usually misses long stretches of the season. He just has nagging back or achilles issues.
Load management is the catch phrase in this case. But the Mavs aren´t in a position where they can afford to sit their best defender. For a contender Maxi would be the cherry on top piece that becomes a key part of the rotation in the playoffs. Like Iggy in GS. For the Mavs he is a part of their top five rotation and usually closes games.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 02:14 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think him missing the last week of the regular season was a blessing in disguise. Two weeks to rest and recover before the first playoff game. It´s not like Maxi usually misses long stretches of the season. He just has nagging back or achilles issues.
Load management is the catch phrase in this case. But the Mavs aren´t in a position where they can afford to sit their best defender. For a contender Maxi would be the cherry on top piece that becomes a key part of the rotation in the playoffs. Like Iggy in GS. For the Mavs he is a part of their top five rotation and usually closes games.
It worked out last year, sure, but back issues aren't predictable and the older you get, and more you have them the more temperamental they are. There's a reason predictions of Porter Jr only playing 5 good years in the NBA were out there and why he dropped so far in his draft.

This is also not mentioning returning from knee and hamstring injuries.
Like Reply
Kleber has had injury problems, sure, but I don't feel that his play is being affected by age or cumulative injury degradation, so far. Further, he's a rare and effective type of player, one of the main reasons for what success Dallas has had in recent years. 

I'm still very much in favor of his extension. Sucks that he's hurt, obviously, but given how many of us have been feeling about this season, I'm thinking this might be for the best in some weird ways. Might be.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 02:04 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I guess the silver lining is his back will be well rested when he comes back. For how long though?

He'll never be hurt again after this injury.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 12:27 PM)cow Wrote: He'll never be hurt again after this injury.

Either you're foreshadowing quite a dismal future where Maxi has to retire from this injury or you smoked some good stuff and think Maxi turns into superman.

If the latter, can I have some of that? Asking for a friend...
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 06:28 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Either you're foreshadowing quite a dismal future where Maxi has to retire from this injury or you smoked some good stuff and think Maxi turns into superman.

If the latter, can I have some of that? Asking for a friend...

Never doubt German engineering.
Like Reply
The Maxi contract looks worse with every passing day.  Tha Mavs roster is a cautionary tale.
Like Reply