Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case)
The more I think about NY/Utah, the more I think Rose makes sense.  I’ll use Powell/Green as the Dallas outgoing as my base assumption.

Utah will want something for Clarkson or Beverley.  But if we are joining a Mitchell deal, we are giving Utah the choice of expiring Rose or expiring Powell (in a position of greater need) and a flyer on Green.  I think pretty clearly they would take the latter.  I think there is zero chance they take Powell alone for Beverley or Clarkson.

Dallas has to make a $5mm decision on Green by October for the 2023 season.  I like Green, but you can only have so many guys getting a few developmental minutes and we have a new shiny toy who probably has as much or more upside.  It makes much more sense for Green to get minutes in rebuilding Utah.

As I spoke of in the OP, I think Schwartz would be much happier with Powell playing some in Utah versus sitting most of the time in Dallas.

If Rose plays well, you control him for another year.  If you need a larger expiring contract, Rose has greater reach at $14.5mm than Powell at $11mm.  He can also be traded as an expiring contract next summer.  Powell can’t.

It might be nice to have Powell as a really good injury insurance policy in the regular season.  It might be nice to see for ourselves if Green will develop into anything (again, in the regular season).  But Rose contributes in the post season (if healthy) and Powell/Green likely don’t.  Ultimately that is what we have to judge this by.

My one stumbling block is having two open roster spots.  Part of me wonders about ways to expand this whether it be adding players or even picks.  Is there someone else that might. Be moving in this deal that we’d be willing to give up 2025 for?  Would NY trade 23 for 27 under the assumption we might be a worse team then than now.  Need more time to think through the possibilities, but I like what I perceive to be the base deal here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case) - by DanSchwartzgan - 07-21-2022, 08:59 AM