Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case)
(07-16-2022, 07:30 PM)F Gump Wrote: For that 30-32M, they will need to more than replace the combined contributions of all of the following: Wood, Kleber, Green, THJ, Bertans. I think there's way more value in that group than 30-32M, and it would be incredibly challenging (perhaps impossible) to do so in one summer. Maybe even too much to do in 2.

I just don't see the value in going that direction.

And I get your side of the argument completely.  But still (in order of importance).

-I love Maxi.  I don't think he's worth anything more than what he's making now.  I wouldn't begrudge him if he got a better offer somewhere else.
-THJ in my view has very little impact on the success of the team.
-Wood is a giant unknown.  We all hope he works out but he could be a terrible fit, merely good and not someone the MBT trust to invest in long term, or fantastic.  
-Bertans is largely worthless unless we reinvent some of our offense which I hope we do if he's on the team.  If you think he's ever going to have value outside of the final year of his deal, we are just far apart on valuations.  
-Green has no value.  Make me eat my words, Josh.

You could replace THJ/Bertans contributions with someone who will be, at the time of this post, be a free agent in the summer and is someone we've signed before.  He's also cost you a fraction of what those two earn.  

So what could Nico do with the other $20 million?

I understand you not seeing the value but I don't see the value of holding onto players that have little to no value.  And if I were a gambling bovine, I'd put my money on us living with Powell, THJ and Bertans for the life of their contracts.  I hope I'm proven wrong as soon as the Durant/Mitchell apocalypse has finished the reckoning but I doubt it.  

Maybe I'm being overly negative of the MBT, but we just keep spinning our tires and protecting contracts in the hopes they'll turn into tradeable assets down the line.  The MBT have no core competencies when it comes to roster building.  So when you say that an idea is a pipe dream that's really applicable drafting, free agency, drafting, etc.

And if JB wasn't in the MBT's long term plans, they should have hit the reset button much sooner when it was their choice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case) - by cow - 07-16-2022, 10:40 PM