Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case)
(07-16-2022, 06:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: . . . You say "the idea of flexibility due to the expiring Westbrook for very little cost in terms of value adding players" and I'm not sure what is intended by that. . . .

For just this season alone, I don't think RW would likely be more useful than the 3, Do you? . . .

I’m only answering because you asked. I meant my previous post to be an apology. Didn’t mean to put words in your mouth or attack you. (Some of this thread reads a bit aggressive, and I really don’t want my contributions to come across that way. If/when they do, it’s probably because I didn’t stop to think before pulling the trigger.)

What do I mean by the idea of flexibility due to expiring Westbrook? I mean that the Mavs, next summer, would have the ability to go under the cap to sign somebody. You know how that works way better than me. My brain is recalling the times where some free agent has picked his next team and told his current team he’s signing there one way or the other. Then the current team has to decide whether it wants something for losing the guy, and brokers a sign-and-trade if they do. 

Do I think Westbrook would be a more useful player than Tim, Dwight and Davis this year? Probably not. But maybe. I’m optimistic re all 4 of them, surprisingly. It’s just that their contracts are so huge, and then the tax multiplying it is just crazy. But more to the point, yes, I think Westbrook is a fantastic player and fantastic fit here in every way except the can’t shoot thing. Of course the can’s shoot thing is huge. It’s why he’s been an absolute failure in LA. And it may make him a failure here too. But I’m intrigued by him (or Ben Simmons) on this team, where he can be surrounded by 3-point shooters at all times. You cannot play him with McGee. But with Kleber or Wood at the 5? I think it could work. Especially if he’s humbled by last year’s experience, is willing to reinvent himself, and is motivated to prove the critics wrong. What I know about the guy makes me think that might be the case. 

I don’t mean to advocate for the trade. (I raised the idea back in May or sometime and got laughed off the board. Not looking for a repeat.) I just think an honest answer is, yeah, it might possibly work. And I’d be very interested to watch and see. (Tim and Davis might also turn into key contributors. I think there’s a very decent chance of that. Dwight, on the other hand, I think they’ll stretch waive if they can’t find a taker.)
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case) - by Jommybone - 07-16-2022, 08:21 PM