Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case)
IGT - Based on Kamm’s spreadsheet on the first post of the Roster Talk thread, making this trade brings the salary down to just below $100M. Add in the cap holds of Maxi and Wood and you’re roughly at the projected cap. What I see you doing is lumping the RW trade into any further trades, which IMO is the fallacy in what you’ve been saying. The RW trade must be reconciled on its own merits. Any subsequent trades or creative use of the roster/contracts has to be reconciled on their own as well. You want to reconcile the future happenings now and there is no way of knowing what those would be.

The RW trade must be reconciled on its own merits -- That's part of exactly what I have done - talking about the value (or lack of same) in this season in adding RW for THJ-DB-DP. The only value offered by itself (ie, assuming you keep the same core you already have) is in RW play instead of the 3, for this season and beyond, as well as trade value, and I think the 3 is a far better result for the Mavs.

As to how much room (if any) would result in 2023, there are a lot of little issues. It would start with whether Green is kept or not, a decision to be made before G1 this fall. And what about Ntilikina, do you keep his rights? But the big ones are whether you keep your Bird rights on Wood and Kleber, which are helpful but costly. And if you worked an extension  with them in advance (which you should, imo).

But as you do, I start with the assumption (and have mentioned it repeatedly) of keeping THIS roster, or not. That would assume Wood-Kleber get signed, or extended, or cap holds to do so, as the default comparison, since they are part of the current core.

You don't get cap room at all in 2023 UNLESS you jettison signing rights on Wood and Maxi. But even if you do, it's less than max room.

Quote:'d rather have ALL of Maxi, Wood, Bullock, Dinwiddie, and Green. In which case, why did I get rid of THJ and Bertans, who might help me or might be trade assets?
You’d rather have all those players as opposed to…let’s say, OG and Siakam because Tor decides to tear it down when the infighting is too much to handle?

Not sure how a stripped down roster would HELP if players like that were on the trade block. It seems like you want to have the most assets, valued ones, plus some picks. To that end, I'm in favor of extending Green, Kleber, and Wood long before free agency, to have an even better core to work with on every front (including trades).

The idea of waiting until as long as possible to figure it out on keeping a desired player soon to be a FA, like Wood/Kleber, that's the same approach they took with Brunson. But the closer it gets to June, when a player has the taste of free agency and what he might get, the extension can easily get declined.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case) - by F Gump - 07-16-2022, 07:54 PM