Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case)
Cow, please stop making up crap that I didn't say -- I never said that trading for RW is stripping the team or gutting the team. You keep saying that lie, and it's getting old to hear. You should already be aware I am not saying that, since I have gone to the effort to make clear I never said such a thing. And it's rude to do that, to claim I say things that I haven't -- it doesn't make me want to talk to you, when you do that.

I understand contracts and players. If you trade for RW, yes it's a money move, but you are not just trading for the contract. It is ALSO a player move. He's on your team, and other players are not. That has ramifications in MANY different ways.

The thought that we might otherwise have THJ-Bertans-Powell until they expire is valid (although I think there will be MANY better opportunities than RW to trade them at some point). But whether or not that would be a plus or a minus? If it's just less payroll, you lose, because the Mavs will be able to get some oncourt value from that trio at some point, if they are here. I would dare say they will also be able to find a trade where one or more are needed to make it happen.

Trading those 3 does NOT get you 1-2 mid-tier guys later. YOU DON'T GET CAP ROOM by trading those 3 for RW. You just aren't as far over the cap, assuming you keep your good players.

Yes you might get 2 mid-tier guys if you go further and start shedding players (or you might not), but what does that gain you when you have to get rid of 2-3 core players to have the cap room to do so?

As for who will be available in a year, the list won't grow. But it might shrink. And before it even shrinks, there's nothing enticing. Your list of your preferences is ugly from a Mavs' roster-building angle ...

Wiggins, LeBron, Middleton, Grant -- don't plan on any of them changing teams, and most if not all could sign extensions in advance
Turner --- he wants big money and may be available (but Indy may trade him to a team who gives him an extension), but he's not a game-changer imo worth shedding good players in order to pursue, and his health is a big question mark.
LeVert, PatBev, Brooks, Crowder, Kleber, Seth, Nunn -- they would be nice to ADD to what Mavs have, but not as a replacement for 1-2 of the core

The Mavs have put together a pretty good team. There are a couple of holes in the top backups, that need to be addressed. I would rather keep these 3 guys and continue to look for answers on those fronts, and move forward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case) - by F Gump - 07-16-2022, 05:32 PM