Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case)
(07-15-2022, 06:00 PM)F Gump Wrote: Not really. It's a desire to see the Mavs learn to do it right, rather than keep looking for a shot at a shortcut that has almost no chance of success, and that will cost dearly to even try.

No one even cares if there's a prize - just get max cap room. We've done this before, and almost got Kemba. And then Lowry. How is there any way to win playing such games?

Yes, really as I can easily leverage the same criticisms about our current modus operandi.  The MBT have failed spectacularly in just about every facet.  Nico and Kidd have never hard cap room to recruit free agents.  You have to give them a shot at some point.  And our disagreements on method aside, there is no correct answer.  I disagree with calling it a shortcut too.  The shortcut was the KP trade.  The shortcut is trading away every FRP/SRP as soon as it is available to us.  

The reality is damage has probably already been done and Cuban and company might not have the talent to course correct from the KP trades and Brunson.  And my argument against the "wait and see" approach and thinking we can use our soon-to-be full compliment of FRPs is that we really need to start considering the risk.  How much patience do we realistically think Luka has?  Trading away picks beyond '25 would certainly keep me up night.  And while Luka will return picks if and when he demands a trade, they'll be no where near as valuable as our own.  This is why Kyrie isn't a Laker right now and if the Lakers are smart, they'll stand pat.  Every GM in their right mind is licking their chops at the possibility of getting the rights to Mavericks' '27 and '29 picks.

And beyond our disagreements on methodology, I don't expect the Mavericks will execute well no matter the path they choose.  That's my defeatist attitude.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case) - by cow - 07-15-2022, 06:09 PM