Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Dragic 1yr/2.9M to CHI
The most obvious explanation would be that we have a trade lined up for someone better than Dragic and he still wants to play steady minutes. Isn’t ready/willing to be “emergency” spot duty guard yet. That said, this is a Cuban run club we are talking about and it’s entirely possible that we THINK we have something better lined up and “oops!” it fell through. Not like that already hasn’t happened with Dragic.
Like Reply
That would be disappointing to me FGump, if that’s the outcome. I think THJ still has on court value. Burks is good but coming off injury? (Again) if I’m not mistaken. Noel is good for backup big. But, again, this would be at least in part a way of easing Cuban’s tax burden which frankly I don’t give a f*** about. I guess the other advantage would be we could move them at the deadline as expirings. I’d still rather rehab THJ value. Shooting comes at a premium. I could see doing this when using the Full MLE was an option but we are past that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Mavs always seem to not do the most obvious thing.  It's a strange thing that reeks of "smartest guy in the room" still.  Hope they have a better plan than Dragic.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 07:35 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: That would be disappointing to me FGump, if that’s the outcome. I think THJ still has on court value. Burks is good but coming off injury? (Again) if I’m not mistaken. Noel is good for backup big. But, again, this would be at least in part a way of easing Cuban’s tax burden which frankly I don’t give a f*** about. I guess the other advantage would be we could move them at the deadline as expirings. I’d still rather rehab THJ value. Shooting comes at a premium. I could see doing this when using the Full MLE was an option but we are past that.

Was not suggesting that deal, just an illustration of that type of deal. If that sort of deal is the answer, I'd expect it would have a creator type and a wing packaged together. Or a creator-type wing as pne of the pieces.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 07:11 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My speculation is KI or BS coming to the Mavs in the KD exchange.

I think KI ends up in LA. LeBron always gets his man at the sacrifice of the future.

Really curious to see if it's Ben Simmons that they are looking to take a chance on. Wouldn't surprise me because I have no doubt that Kidd could teach him to shoot. Kidd learned how to be a very good shooter.

I would definitely take a shot at BS. Him and Luka could be a dynamite pairing.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Simmons would be interesting, if the price is right. He would ease some of the playmaking burden on Luka and is a great defender. They would have to decide they could make the spacing work. Luka has been pretty good at shooting the spot up 3 and should only get better. I’m curious whether Simmons could play the Dray role on defense in the playoffs. Not the rim protector Dray is. Then it would be incumbent to have Maxi or a Myles Turner type to space the floor at the 5. Simmons and Luka with 3 shooters (Maxi or future Maxi, DFS, Reggie) would be interesting.
Like Reply
I'm all for getting Simmons and I would like him to be the small ball 5 at times.
Like Reply
I am not going to fall for anything.  I assume they get someone they view better than Goran but not on the same level as Jalen.  I am trying to think if there is a creator above 6’6 who can be labeled as a wing but also be our third creator.  Kills two birds with one stone and meets the needs from what we have heard.  Haven’t found someone yet.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 09:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am trying to think if there is a creator above 6’6 who can be labeled as a wing but also be our third creator.  Kills two birds with one stone and meets the needs from what we have heard.

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493b19yfs97yf9sqa9cra3j...w.gif&ct=g]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 09:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not going to fall for anything.  I assume they get someone they view better than Goran but not on the same level as Jalen.  I am trying to think if there is a creator above 6’6 who can be labeled as a wing but also be our third creator.  Kills two birds with one stone and meets the needs from what we have heard.  Haven’t found someone yet.

That sounds like you just described Gordon Hayward.  Here are some others:

Josh Giddey
Ingram
Zo Ball
DeRozan
Draymond
P George

Don't really see anyone that is obviously available.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Cuban liking those comments makes me think he has something BIG brewing to rub in their faces. That feels like what he would do.

I feel like Cuban THINKS he has something big brewing, but in reality it won't really come to fruition. This franchise has made like 5 big trades in the last 10 years.

Rondo-Dud
Odom-Dud
TC round 2- hit
KP- dud that had flashes of brilliance
Luka- Jackpot. 

I've been out on Cuban for a long time, but the fact he's trying to mess with rightfully pissed off fans when this offseason has been spiraling out of control makes me dislike him even more. Smartest guy in the room syndrome x1213549834908324345089324509325490
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 10:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I feel like Cuban THINKS he has something big brewing, but in reality it won't really come to fruition. This franchise has made like 5 big trades in the last 10 years.

Rondo-Dud
Odom-Dud
TC round 2- hit
KP- dud that had flashes of brilliance
Luka- Jackpot. 

I've been out on Cuban for a long time, but the fact he's trying to mess with rightfully pissed off fans when this offseason has been spiraling out of control makes me dislike him even more. Smartest guy in the room syndrome x1213549834908324345089324509325490

The fact that he has time to catch feelings on Twitter makes me think we have nothing brewing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
At this point, I think their big moves are done, and whispers about "a move coming" are the equivalent of clickbait. If someone doesn't fall for their pitch early, it's over, cause none of their big stuff happens late.

MIDSEASON Rondo-Dud
JUNE Odom-Dud
JUNE TC round 2- hit
MIDSEASON KP- dud that had flashes of brilliance
JUNE Luka- Jackpot.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, Branduil
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 09:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493b19yfs97yf9sqa9cra3j...w.gif&ct=g]

I just can't believe it is Simmons.  Is he available in trade?

With his contract, it is tough to sign up for 3 more years not knowing if he is still an NBA basketball player.  How deep are his issues?   

I will say we played the Sixers when he last played and he really took on himself to really guard Luka hard.  It was impressive.   I am also a fan of guys who love passing and also like pushing the pace.  Simmons does both very well.

There are just so many non basketball questions that I don't know if you can gamble on that.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 09:36 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: That sounds like you just described Gordon Hayward.  Here are some others:

Josh Giddey
Ingram
Zo Ball
DeRozan
Draymond
P George

Don't really see anyone that is obviously available.

Yeah, I don' think it is any of those either.   I thought about Hayward prior to FA, but I am not sure if he is the answer with the roster we have now.  

For smaller point guards, I come back to Sexton, but it appears that is unlikely.   What about Mike Conley Jr?   He makes a lot but his contract next year is not guaranteed.   Could he fill in as that third guard? Him and Bojan are two names I come back to.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 10:32 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I just can't believe it is Simmons…

There are just so many non basketball questions that I don't know if you can gamble on that.

I agree, the between the ears stuff is the concern, much more so than anything about fit.

And, I’ll admit that I was surprised when he didn’t play for BRK after the trade. I’m mildly worried that the between the ears stuff migh be as bad as some think. But, we don’t know. If the Mavs are involved in talks to take him on (no reason to believe they are) then I hope they’re very informed about his mental state.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 10:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree, the between the ears stuff is the concern, much more so than anything about fit.

And, I’ll admit that I was surprised when he didn’t play for BRK after the trade. I’m mildly worried that the between the ears stuff migh be as bad as some think. But, we don’t know. If the Mavs are involved in talks to take him on (no reason to believe they are) then I hope they’re very informed about his mental state.

Yep,  I am not saying this in favor of targeting him, but I started watching some open gym runs he played in before last season.   The one thing that strikes me is how big he is and how fluid he moves.   the other is how good all these guys are.   They are playing like half speed and they look like superheros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh8o3XzWB8s
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 11:01 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yep,  I am not saying this in favor of targeting him, but I started watching some open gym runs he played in before last season.   The one thing that strikes me is how big he is and how fluid he moves.   the other is how good all these guys are.   They are playing like half speed and they look like superheros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh8o3XzWB8s

who was dude in white shirt/green socks on Ja's team?  Money.  Simmons is a beast.  It is weird, before all the shit hit the fan in Philly, I never questioned his desire to compete in the NBA.  He brings it.  Can't tell if all of this was just a ploy to gtfo of there.  Obviously, he is dealing with a back issue that is actually more concerning to me than his passion for the game.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 10:09 PM)F Gump Wrote: At this point, I think their big moves are done, and whispers about "a move coming" are the equivalent of clickbait. If someone doesn't fall for their pitch early, it's over, cause none of their big stuff happens late.

MIDSEASON Rondo-Dud
JUNE Odom-Dud
JUNE TC round 2- hit
MIDSEASON KP- dud that had flashes of brilliance
JUNE Luka- Jackpot.

I honestly think if there is any "grand" plan, I think this team is gearing up for a Lillard trade.

Nico is from the area, Lillard is a nike athlete, and has that famous clip of him seeking out Nico dapping him up after that OKC game winner. 

Kidd was also Lillard's preferred coach back last summer. Lillard has been sending out cryptic messages about loyalty and it's expiration date. 

I don't think POR has any interest in trading Lillard right now, but if they get out to a slow start? That's when I start to sit back and go HMMMM. 

If the Mavs make any move now I'd believe it's just to stockpile the assets for that Lillard trade. Such a move is just grandiose enough to capture Cuban's attention span, and just risky enough to where there's no shot it'll ever happen.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The simplest explanation is that they have no plan. They just don't like Dragic because Mark is stupid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Bayliss
Like Reply