Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk about Maxi?
Before his eventual extension, lets talk Maxi.

He is a valuable member of this team and if he was moved we would definitely feel his loss.   He provides something no one else on this team this past season could do.   In all likelihood, his value you sign him in an extension may outweigh his value on the market by a good deal.

But shouldn't this be considered?  Maxi will be 31 next season and has a history of lower leg injuries.   We have also seen how his use on the court plummets when he is in a slump.  

I am not sure what value he has to other teams, but if you could include him and Dwight plus a future first...what can it get you?
* I am afraid to say Ben Simmons because I don't know if he is a NBA player any longer
*John Collins- he has similar traits as Wood, but could having two athletic big guys work?  I don't think he is a bad defensive player, but not on Maxi level
*Myles Turner

If you could upgrade him to a starting bigger wing than I think that puts you back to one move away.   Something like getting a player who can do what Bullock and Dinwiddie can do as one player.  A player who can be a secondary creator, hit open threes and be above average bulldog defender.
Like Reply
I think Maxi showed a lot of things he can do for a team in the playoffs this year. The issues are basically what you said although not lower leg, but lower back. He should be relegated to 20ish mpg during the season with periodic 1-2 week rests and like what happened this year 2-3 weeks off just before the playoffs, coming back for a few final rhythm games.

In the playoffs, after having that kind of rest all season, he should be good to go for 5-10 mpg more (taking the time from your big C that got you through the regular season, in our case, McGee).

There is lots of value in that role, IMO, but not all teams have a need for it. I’d love for your package to be what Ind (esp) or Atl wants, I just think there is no way that package (in some form or fashion) was not offered before now and not accepted. 

Our guys have value to high hope playoff teams that don’t have a lot of pieces we would want (that they would part with). They are not all that good for rebuilding teams for much more than culture, but that isn’t worth it. They are really good for a team like the Spurs who are in the process of breaking the team up and starting over. Alas, those type teams are looking for the picks attached as opposed to the players and we don’t have those.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I admit that Maxi isn’t great. But he is darn good at everything the NBA asks of a modern big. He spreads the floor, protects the rim, and switches screens with aplomb. He is the special sauce to our big mac. No Maxi = no 5 out. No isolating Rudy or DeAndre on Luka. No 40 to 20 advantage on 3-point attempts. This team would be worse without him. Heck, Luka would be worse without him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
My stance on this has always been that Maxi is not going to garner much in a trade and that he will be more valuable to us than what we could get in a trade for him.

We have a limited number of defensive players on this team, and I think we need to add to that number rather than reduce.

I also think Maxi is the perfect match with Wood.  Maxi can help cover for some of Wood's defensive deficiencies (particularly at the rim) and also allows Wood to operate in the P&R without clogging the lane.  There just are not that many guys that can protect the rim, defend the perimeter and space the floor.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Jommybone, Mavsfan12, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
The real question. How is Maxi coping without JB. The vibes will never be immaculate again...

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1537881607033348098
Like Reply
Maxi was a stalwart in the playoffs, but I expect the Maxi we saw during the second half of the season is pretty much the harbinger of things to come. I’d either keep him on a severe minutes restriction or trade him now. I’m not really interested in any kind of long term extension.

And, the problem with the long term outlook is just physical. I think he’s breaking down. I really like his game and his professionalism otherwise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:50 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Maxi was a stalwart in the playoffs, but I expect the Maxi we saw during the second half of the season is pretty much the harbinger of things to come. I’d either keep him on a severe minutes restriction or trade him now. I’m not really interested in any kind of long term extension.

THIS is my opinion as well.
Like Reply
If he's getting around the same number, I'd do an extension easily.  Make it three years with a team option.
Like Reply
My take on Maxi has not changed for the last 3 years even as many keep raving about his defensive prowess. He and Powell play with zero “force” inside to borrow a phrase from RC.  Both of them get pushed around inside and on the glass. Even worse, though both have the foot speed to keep up with defenders they just back pedal needlessly because they are so worried about committing fouls. 

Outside shooting and weak side defense is fine but teams sometimes get caught in the Mavs game plan and don’t realize that if you take the ball hard at Maxi or Dwight they just back pedal without any real resistance. GS realized it and that was it.   I wish some coach early on in their careers told them to just stand their ground and foul out than back pedal all the time. Both have the foot speed but something missing internally to stand their ground and offer resistance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
I honestly don’t see the point in discussing Kleber anymore. I feel like his days in the team are numbered. 

Might not be on the team this next season, the way things are going. If he is, i would say it’s almost a done deal that it will be his last one here.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 04:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I honestly don’t see the point in discussing Kleber anymore. I feel like his days in the team are numbered. 

Might not be in the team this next season, the way things are going. If he is, i would say it’s almost a done deal that it will be his last one here.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Jommybone
Like Reply
Maxi is just too inconsistent for a long term role.  He has a decent skill set but whether it be injury or wild slumps....  he is just hard to count on when the going gets tough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
This.  That’s what bothers me about both Powell and Maxi. For all the good things they do, neither of them are tough. Contrast that with a journeyman like GP2.  There is a toughness about him though his skillset is limited. If you look at the Mavs championship team all of them were tough guys. Not thugs but guys who wouldn’t be pushed around. The guy who was probably the least tough was JeT who had a motor mouth but until that glorious run tended to shrink when the lights got bright.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
We finally have a good big man rotation and everyone wants to ditch a third of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 05:39 PM)cow Wrote: We finally have a good big man rotation and everyone wants to ditch a third of it.

I don’t WANT to. 

His deal is up at the end of the season, and they very, very clearly want to avoid paying luxury tax whenever possible. If Wood is back, I think it’s a mortal lock that Kleber is not.

If there weren’t pictures of Kleber with Nico and Finley all over the web right now, I would actually be worried about them simply releasing him tomorrow before his contract becomes guaranteed.

But, I am in a very negative headspace when it comes to the Mavericks right now.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 05:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t WANT to. 

His deal is up at the end of the season, and they very, very clearly want to avoid paying luxury tax whenever possible. If Wood is back, I think it’s a mortal lock that Kleber is not.

If there weren’t pictures of Kleber with Nico and Finley all over the web right now, I would actually be worried about them simply releasing him tomorrow before his contract becomes guaranteed.

But, I am in a very negative headspace when it comes to the Mavericks right now.

Not to be a dick towards Maxi but his inconsistent play and recent injury history are the perfect time to extend him on a bargain contract.  

Everyone also forget about the Würzburg clause in the team charter.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • Jommybone, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
The Wurzburg clause made me laugh ?. I love Maxi and all of our internally developed guys: DFS, Kleber, Powell, and still Brunson though I will definitely not root for the Knicks. Even McGee owes our training staff and development guys at least one of his three rings. Without them his career was over. 

What is best to do now??? I don’t know. I’ll leave all that to Nico and gang. I do think that Maxi does benefit from reduced load but I also think our two new centers will really help reduce his load. As well he has improved his defensive footwork from awful to passable this last year. Maybe better guys behind him helps him man up on defense.
Like Reply