Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TRADE: Gobert to MIN | 4 1sts (3 unprot.) + Beasley, Kessler, PBev to UTA
(07-02-2022, 11:57 AM)Kidnova Wrote: Sounds like Minny is desperate to unload KAT.  Powell+THJ+2nds for KAT.  Make it happen NICO!

In case it's not obvious, this is a joke...

When can Wood be included in a trade?
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 12:21 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: When can Wood be included in a trade?

@omahen said it's August 23rd in the Roster thread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoredAssistant's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 11:36 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Hypothetically, what makes you think it won't work?  A few teams are going back to big lineups.  Cleveland had much early season success playing big before injuries set in.  But I don't think playing that way is conducive to playoff success as was shown by Utah when teams play smaller switchable lineups where the bigs have to guard in space.

Same reasoning you just gave. Won’t work in playoffs.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 12:21 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: When can Wood be included in a trade?

Skin mentioned August 23rd. Not sure why you mention him here, but I wouldn't trade for KAT. I don't think he is a winner or can be on a winner. A lot of empty stats, imho. This is of course under assumption that Minny will demand a fortune for him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 01:06 PM)omahen Wrote: Skin mentioned August 23rd. Not sure why you mention him here, but I wouldn't trade for KAT. I don't think he is a winner or can be on a winner. A lot of empty stats, imho. This is of course under assumption that Minny will demand a fortune for him.

KAT is not that guy. I agree. However there would be a difference when he is in Minny where he fancies himself as the franchise savior and here where he would clearly come in knowing he is the 2nd option. I don’t think the guy handles the main man pressure well but will be fine next to Luka. 

We talked about KP as the unicorn but in terms of skill sets Embiid, KAT and Jokic are the true unicorn centers. If there is a chance to get him and Wood ( who has his own share of game and character issues) is one of the asks, I will do it everyday.   There is no guarantees for a title but Wood for KAT is a serious talent upgrade and I like Wood’s game.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 04:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I am in disbelief. 3 unprotected firsts, 1 mildly protected 1st, and Kessler (whose essentially a first).

5 picks for Gobert. 

On top of that they gave up Vanderbilt, who was like the most important defender for the Wolves. Add in Beverly and Beasley and Wolves just gutted their entire team for Gobert.

Holy. Shit.

I'm going to offer a counterpoint to this.  I will put aside the picks, because, damn.  That was a lot of picks.  But Minny was a deep team with some good young guys that they were not able to play as much as they deserved.  The guys they traded were somewhat roadblocking vets for the young guys.  Plus, they just picked up Kyle Anderson to start at SF.

DLo/?
Edwards/Forbes
Anderson/Prince
KAT/McDaniels
Gobert/Naz

They still have a good 2 deep roster.  They need a PG badly now, and they have already used their MLE.  Still have their BAE.  Also think they have bird rights on Josh Okogie still - haven't seen him come off the board yet.  So, I think that they could use some defensive G's, but they look solid.  Could really use Bev on that team. Now, will the twin towers work?  That is the question.
'
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 09:56 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: DLo/?
Edwards/Forbes
Anderson/Prince
KAT/McDaniels
Gobert/Naz

They still have a good 2 deep roster.  They need a PG badly now, and they have already used their MLE. 

I think you are forgetting Jordan Mclaughlin?, who was their best PG in the playoffs
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 10:07 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: I think you are forgetting Jordan Mclaughlin?, who was their best PG in the playoffs

You're right (edit that I forgot him - I don't think he is/was their best PG).  Thank you.  

So they have a solid 10 deep team left.  So that is certainly not gutted. Still could add a solid guard defender and maybe bring back Josh and they have good players/depth throughout the lineup.  Certainly as much talent as the Mavs.  The Mavs have GREAT complimentary pieces, but Minny has a ton of talent. But that proves my point - the pieces they traded, they could afford to - in fact, you could say that it was beneficial to do so to clear playing time.  That team needed defense in the worst way, and they added one of the best defenders in the league.  KAT is just a weird fit in this era.  I don't want anyone to get offended here, but he is the closest player profile to Dirk that I can identify - in terms of an offensive juggernaut who can score at all three levels, and is limited defensively (although KAT is a decent shotblocker).  However, Dirk had the benefit of a prior era where you could play a C next to him.  KAT hasn't had that luxury - but they are going to try.  This is their Tyson Chandler moment.
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 09:56 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: They still have a good 2 deep roster.  They need a PG badly now, and they have already used their MLE.  Still have their BAE.  Also think they have bird rights on Josh Okogie still - haven't seen him come off the board yet.  So, I think that they could use some defensive G's, but they look solid.  Could really use Bev on that team. Now, will the twin towers work?  That is the question.

I will say the main portion of my "holy shit" reaction was those 5 picks. Beasley was a guy I think they wanted to get rid of anyways. Beverly and Vanderbilt were huge surprises as well and I think the biggest blow to the Wolves rotation. 

As to your outlook, that's definitely the optimistic way to look at it. When I see a bench of Forbes, Prince, McDaniels and Naz, I think they've been ravaged by injuries. Forbes is solid. Good shooter, below average defender. Not necessarily the perfect guy I'd have playing behind D'Lo. Prince is a solid role player and the best of the bunch imo. I don't have anything negative to say about him being a backup wing. 

McDaniels and Naz is where I have the biggest concerns. McDaniels is a young guy who hasn't showed much. He's a PF, but now that Towns is going to play those majority minutes I don't see him excelling. Naz Reid is a guy I'm shocked is still in the league. Every time we play the Wolves I'm estactic they give him big minutes. 

On top of that, I'm extremely curious whether or not the Twin Towers 2.0 will work in today's NBA. Gobert was played off the court because there were no perimeter defenders in UTA. How can they hide both Towns and Gobert? They can't have both sag off the perimeter.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 12:00 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I will say the main portion of my "holy shit" reaction was those 5 picks. Beasley was a guy I think they wanted to get rid of anyways. Beverly and Vanderbilt were huge surprises as well and I think the biggest blow to the Wolves rotation. 

As to your outlook, that's definitely the optimistic way to look at it. When I see a bench of Forbes, Prince, McDaniels and Naz, I think they've been ravaged by injuries. Forbes is solid. Good shooter, below average defender. Not necessarily the perfect guy I'd have playing behind D'Lo. Prince is a solid role player and the best of the bunch imo. I don't have anything negative to say about him being a backup wing. 

McDaniels and Naz is where I have the biggest concerns. McDaniels is a young guy who hasn't showed much. He's a PF, but now that Towns is going to play those majority minutes I don't see him excelling. Naz Reid is a guy I'm shocked is still in the league. Every time we play the Wolves I'm estactic they give him big minutes. 

On top of that, I'm extremely curious whether or not the Twin Towers 2.0 will work in today's NBA. Gobert was played off the court because there were no perimeter defenders in UTA. How can they hide both Towns and Gobert? They can't have both sag off the perimeter.

Mcdaniels is the dude in that second 5.  Versatile and solid.  I think that he is one of the guys that they want to have more time actually.  He was taking time from Vanderbilt late in the season/playoffs.  

Not sure what issue you have with Naz. He's a solid defender.  Nothing elite, but solid.  One of the switchable bigs I looked at around the TDL.  Either way, I certainly don't see their backup frontcourt as the issue.  

They need guards. Badly, I would say, but they have some high minute guys as starters. Just the depth there is what I think is their weakness.  Gobert's insertion into the lineup has pushed everyone down - they were running a lot of 3 guard lineups with Bev/DLo/Edwards/Beasley.  And they lost 2 of those.  But still that is 10 deep.  Everyone has weaknesses.  Their season will rise or fall on how well the Gobert/Towns experiment goes.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/eFYSBhd7h1A
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/WYcaz4qrRO0
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, Hypermav, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 07:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://youtu.be/eFYSBhd7h1A

The thing I agree with most about that video is that Gobert is seriously polarizing.  We've seen it here on this board for a long time. There is a lot of space between people who think he is one of the most impactful players in the league, and those who think he's a dinosaur who can't stay on the floor in playoff games.   From a fan standpoint, I am excited to see this play out.  I think that Ant is a better player than mitchell, and that Towns is better than Bog.  There is a lot to like about min and their future, if Towns/Gobert can co-exist on the floor together.  Min was TERRIBLE on defense last year, and they are trying to address that.  I know one thing for sure - every C in the league is watching this situation and hoping that they work out for their own sakes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavsfan12's post:
  • Hypermav, Kammrath
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 09:07 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: The thing I agree with most about that video is that Gobert is seriously polarizing.  We've seen it here on this board for a long time. There is a lot of space between people who think he is one of the most impactful players in the league, and those who think he's a dinosaur who can't stay on the floor in playoff games.   From a fan standpoint, I am excited to see this play out.  I think that Ant is a better player than mitchell, and that Towns is better than Bog.  There is a lot to like about min and their future, if Towns/Gobert can co-exist on the floor together.  Min was TERRIBLE on defense last year, and they are trying to address that.  I know one thing for sure - every C in the league is watching this situation and hoping that they work out for their own sakes.

I agree that the player is polarizing. 

Personally, I don’t feel polarized, however, because I’m in the “in between” realm. I believe he’s an incredibly impactful player, but want no part of paying him the remainder of his contract ($47 million when he’s 34!!!) and never would’ve coughed up the draft capital Minnesota did to get him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 01:06 PM)omahen Wrote: Skin mentioned August 23rd. Not sure why you mention him here, but I wouldn't trade for KAT. I don't think he is a winner or can be on a winner. A lot of empty stats, imho. This is of course under assumption that Minny will demand a fortune for him.

(07-02-2022, 02:56 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: KAT is not that guy. I agree. However there would be a difference when he is in Minny where he fancies himself as the franchise savior and here where he would clearly come in knowing he is the 2nd option. I don’t think the guy handles the main man pressure well but will be fine next to Luka. 

We talked about KP as the unicorn but in terms of skill sets Embiid, KAT and Jokic are the true unicorn centers. If there is a chance to get him and Wood ( who has his own share of game and character issues) is one of the asks, I will do it everyday.   There is no guarantees for a title but Wood for KAT is a serious talent upgrade and I like Wood’s game.

I personally see KAT as a potential younger healthier Kevin Love sort of 3rd star to a championship a la Cavaliers. Initially "empty stats" that if his role was more clearly defined where he could EXCEL in those areas and defer the other things then he can and very likely will be a winner* in this league.

With Luka leading, (we one day get that 2nd star or have it be a depth mix and match scenario) with KAT in that 2nd/3rd role with McGee handling more of the Defensive traditional 5 spot next to and/or backing up KAT, that would no doubt be a winning team. I think KAT would/could buy in to play next to Luka... having said all that? We will not get him lol. but one day some team with 1-2 stars will pick him up and i can foresee him winning in this situation.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...8783726593
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/RTNBA/status/1544811764247937026
Like Reply
[Image: FXBGQB7UcAEJop2?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
The conversation in another thread has me thinking about Min and their choice to go all in on Gobert.  What if they had just gotten in on the Murray deal instead?  Less picks, less outgoing pieces.  I think they could have made it work with Beasley only.  

Murray/Bev
Ant/Dlo
Anderson/Prince
Vanderbilt/McDaniels
Towns/Kessler

Man, I like that team a lot better and at a lot lower cost and future risk.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/154...1784716296
Like Reply