Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TRADE: Gobert to MIN | 4 1sts (3 unprot.) + Beasley, Kessler, PBev to UTA
(07-01-2022, 06:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: If Utah got that much for Gobert, I shudder to think what KD might bring, sheesh..

Good luck find another sucker with that many assets.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Ideally UTA is taken out of the playoff race,

So you are saying Utah drops five spots losing their 2nd best player. Interesting.  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • khaled1987, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:08 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So you are saying Utah drops five spots losing their 2nd best player. Interesting.  Big Grin

[Image: i-see-what-you-did-there-steve-carell.gif]
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:08 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So you are saying Utah drops five spots losing their 2nd best player. Interesting.  Big Grin

Yes, losing a 3x DPOY, 3x all-star, 4x All-NBA massively impactful player would hurt their team.

What has Jalen done again? Are we seriously going to compare their impact here?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Arioch, Kammrath
Like Reply
In all seriousness, I'd say Gobert was Utah's BEST player. I'd say the haul they got supports that claim. This is a massive shakeup, no matter how you look at it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: In all seriousness, I'd say Gobert was Utah's BEST player. I'd say the haul they got supports that claim. This is a massive shakeup, no matter how you look at it.

I lean more towards Minnesota being a combination of desperate and fucking stupid.  Considering the market, the former is understandable but the latter is a complete misread of the room.  Utah wanting to move Gobert was one of the worst kept secrets in the league.  Add in a pinch of "never trade with Ainge".
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • IamDougieFresh, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Yes, losing a 3x DPOY, 3x all-star, 4x All-NBA massively impactful player would hurt their team.

What has Jalen done again? Are we seriously going to compare their impact here?

Since the exercise would be pointless, I won´t even bother to find all the posts from the Utah series saying Gobert is unplayable in the play-offs, because he cannot guard the perimeter or punish the other team in the paint.

Let me also guess that while losing Gobert makes Utah much worse, it also does not improve the 46-36 Wolves, just like we don´t anticipate a 3rd year leap from Edwards.   Confused
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:18 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Let me also guess that while losing Gobert makes Utah much worse, it also does not improve the 46-36 Wolves, just like we don´t anticipate a 3rd year leap from Edwards.   Confused

It does seem ridiculous when you put it that way. But, I'm sorry, I just don't love the fit between KAT and Gobert. I wouldn't say it makes them worse, but I'm not worried about it making them better to the point where they should be considered contenders. 

Definitely makes Utah worse.
Like Reply
Utah will take a step back.  Minnesota may or may not improve as much.  But the West will still be tough.

GS
Denver
Phx
Memphis
Minnesota

should be there next year.  But then you have the Clippers should be better if Leonard and George stay healthy.  The Pelicans should be better just from the youth improving.

Portland should be better if they remain healthy.

It's no guarantee that the Mavs finish in the Top 4.  And dang sure no guarantee that they make at least the WCFs.  They probably won't be playing another imploding team that hates each other in next year's playoffs, or a team that has some infighting and health related issues.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It does seem ridiculous when you put it that way. But, I'm sorry, I just don't love the fit between KAT and Gobert. I wouldn't say it makes them worse, but I'm not worried about it making them better to the point where they should be considered contenders. 

Definitely makes Utah worse.

For regular season I really like the fit for the Wolves tbh, I think Gobert is always the type of player KAT needs. 
Mini GM know his work judging what he built in Denver, I can see Wolves taking a leap in regular season next year.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 06:18 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Let me also guess that while losing Gobert makes Utah much worse, it also does not improve the 46-36 Wolves, just like we don´t anticipate a 3rd year leap from Edwards.   Confused

You treat basketball as if it's a video game, as if plugging in players just automatically improves teams in a linear fashion.

No I don't expect the Wolves to take a giant leap from trading half of their roster for Gobert when his fit with their current franchise star is iffy at best. Further, they are as shallow as they've ever been. This was their all in move and their only way out should it not work is gutting the roster. 

My opinions on Gobert have varied wildly since he's signed his extension. I don't think he's worth the money. I do/did think he'd be a good fit here and would've had major positive impact. I in no way think he was worth essentially 5 FRP and 4 role players and would've had a heart attack if the Mavs made a similar deal.

Second, comparing Brunson to Gobert is another level of delusion. They are no where close to the same class of player and to even bring it up is trolling at best, mindless at worst.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
We all saw in the play in game and in the playoffs that KAT is not that guy. Their future is Edwards. This gives them the option to move KAT at their own pace and they will recoup some of these picks then.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
It was theorized back in the day that you could beat the Warriors by going big and killing them inside and on the boards. The Pelicans thought the same thing I guess. They traded for Boogie but that experiment was cut short due to injury.

Can’t wait to see this fail. Maybe then those who don’t embrace space, pace and switchable defense will finally go away.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 09:50 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: We all saw in the play in game and in the playoffs that KAT is not that guy. Their future is Edwards. This gives them the option to move KAT at their own pace and they will recoup some of these picks then.

Gobert isn't the answer either.

Massive overpay and terrible fit with KAT on the floor. Or maybe that indicates that they will try and move KAT.
Like Reply
I agree the fit is bad but Edwards/Gobert pairing could work if they can trade KAT for something valuable.
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 05:00 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Gobert isn't the answer either.

Massive overpay and terrible fit with KAT on the floor. Or maybe that indicates that they will try and move KAT.

You know what you will get with Gobert night in night out.  Plus he won’t demand the ball.  Neither of that is true with KAT. This is step 1 to slowly move away from KAT and have Edwards as the centerpiece.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 06:47 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: You know what you will get with Gobert night in night out.  Plus he won’t demand the ball.  Neither of that is true with KAT. This is step 1 to slowly move away from KAT and have Edwards as the centerpiece.

Possible. I also think it greatly raises their regular season floor. They will likely be good. Their problems will come in the playoffs, here I fully agree with scepticism about Gobert and KAT playing together. But they have three big names on the team and I think it is easy to improve from here. Especially for a GM that is not affraid to pull the trigger and seems to have a green light.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • hakeemfaan, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 02:01 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: It was theorized back in the day that you could beat the Warriors by going big and killing them inside and on the boards. The Pelicans thought the same thing I guess. They traded for Boogie but that experiment was cut short due to injury.

Can’t wait to see this fail. Maybe then those who don’t embrace space, pace and switchable defense will finally go away.

Hypothetically, what makes you think it won't work?  A few teams are going back to big lineups.  Cleveland had much early season success playing big before injuries set in.  But I don't think playing that way is conducive to playoff success as was shown by Utah when teams play smaller switchable lineups where the bigs have to guard in space.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
Minny taking the most stereotypical Utah player ever in the draft. So is this also considered tampering, if they "told" Minny who to draft based on the assumption they´d work out a trade eventually.

One think is for sure it´s lovely to have another new ambitious owner in the Western Conference. The Target Center always looked like they only had money to run the lights on 50%. I always figured the Wolves depressing arena set-up was good for five extra losses every year.
Like Reply
Sounds like Minny is desperate to unload KAT.  Powell+THJ+2nds for KAT.  Make it happen NICO!

In case it's not obvious, this is a joke...
[-] The following 2 users Like Kidnova's post:
  • hakeemfaan, omahen
Like Reply