Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: GPII 3yrs/$28M to POR
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...PD9ugqAAAA
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 12:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...PD9ugqAAAA

Dallas would have had to shed salary to get below the tax line to have a chance at him.
Like Reply
jesus
Like Reply
The Blazers are an enigma.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Very expensive for GPII. 

Blazers had a lot of money and roster spots and intend to spend it on anyone. I think they have to waive Bledsoe in order to get far enough under the tax apron to get the full MLE to give to GPII (which is what I assume they're using here). If so then their roster currently right now is:

Dame/GPII/
Simons/Sharpe/Johnson
Hart/Winslow
Grant/Little/Greg Brown
(Nurkic?)/

Depending on how they order the signings, they can still use the BAE worth about 4 mil, and have to keep Nurkic below 5 mil to keep him. 

Basically I don't think POR is done, and I think they're going to try and ship Johnson+Brown+Winslow out for as little money as possible, so they can retain Nurkic at around 10 mil. They still need another center, because given Nurkic's injury history they definitely need a backup.

If they're using the full MLE, they have to stay below the 156.9 apron (at least they have until next year June to rectify that). With all of their signing's they're at 10 people on the roster with Nurkic waiting. 

Could they be interested in Powell's 11 mil expiring deal? I think so. Maybe even for a draft pick and they're young guns that they need to offload anyways. 

How good is that roster in this west? I don't think it's good enough...
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:23 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Very expensive for GPII. 

Blazers had a lot of money and roster spots and intend to spend it on anyone. I think they have to waive Bledsoe in order to get far enough under the tax apron to get the full MLE to give to GPII (which is what I assume they're using here). If so then their roster currently right now is:

Dame/GPII/
Simons/Sharpe/Johnson
Hart/Winslow
Grant/Little/Greg Brown
(Nurkic?)/

Depending on how they order the signings, they can still use the BAE worth about 4 mil, and have to keep Nurkic below 5 mil to keep him. 

Basically I don't think POR is done, and I think they're going to try and ship Johnson+Brown+Winslow out for as little money as possible, so they can retain Nurkic at around 10 mil. They still need another center, because given Nurkic's injury history they definitely need a backup.

If they're using the full MLE, they have to stay below the 156.9 apron (at least they have until next year June to rectify that). With all of their signing's they're at 10 people on the roster with Nurkic waiting. 

Could they be interested in Powell's 11 mil expiring deal? I think so. Maybe even for a draft pick and they're young guns that they need to offload anyways. 

How good is that roster in this west? I don't think it's good enough...

Rumor is they'll sign Nurkic at 17M per.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:27 AM)cow Wrote: Rumor is they'll sign Nurkic at 17M per.

Interesting.

First I already f'd my math up so lets backtrack a bit. Assuming they sign everyone above to their reported salaries, the Blazers are at roughly 148M in total team salaries before touching Nurkic. Nurkic has a 18mil cap hold. They can resign him to 17 mil and still stay under the tax here and be at roughly 147M in team salary

Basically the Blazers roster is almost set. They have 11 under contract and they still need big man depth at both the PF and C positions. 

If they use the BAE on someone (which could be a big man), they still have around 6 mil to play with in a trade for a backup center.  Should they renounce the BAE, they could trade for a center making up to 9 mil roughly. 

Still, I don't think their roster is clear cut better than at least 10 other teams in the West.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:45 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Interesting.

First I already f'd my math up so lets backtrack a bit. Assuming they sign everyone above to their reported salaries, the Blazers are at roughly 148M in total team salaries before touching Nurkic. Nurkic has a 18mil cap hold. They can resign him to 17 mil and still stay under the tax here and be at roughly 147M in team salary

Basically the Blazers roster is almost set. They have 11 under contract and they still need big man depth at both the PF and C positions. 

If they use the BAE on someone (which could be a big man), they still have around 6 mil to play with in a trade for a backup center.  Should they renounce the BAE, they could trade for a center making up to 9 mil roughly. 

Still, I don't think their roster is clear cut better than at least 10 other teams in the West.

It could be worse. We could have the Blazers front office. I like GPII but come on now. They money whipped that dude.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:55 AM)audiosway Wrote: It could be worse. We could have the Blazers front office. I like GPII but come on now. They money whipped that dude.

GPII has some offensive deficiencies a la Josh Green/Thybulle i think. He worked well on offense because Kerr's system has a lot of movement. They make it work with movement/cuts etc. pp. His lack of jumper didn't really matter. GS spacing was still great.

His offensive RAPTOR was positve as well n GS. On par with guys like Seth Curry, Miles Brdiges. And i would say, his offense isn't even close to those guys. GS did a great job to hide his lack of offense. His TOTAL RAPTOR was pretty insane as a result. He finished 7th, 2 spots behind Luka. Tied with Jimmy Butler.

I can see him being more of a negative on offense, because the Golden State system is pretty unique. Otherwise he is in the Caruso mold of players. Should make the Blazers better with his defense alone. Blazers always sucked on defense.
Like Reply
Payton is an interesting success story. Scuffled around the league for maybe 4-5 years, barely hanging on, sometimes just in GL. A bit over a year ago, he signed with GS near the end of the season to a "2 year" deal, all minimum, with the 2021-22 season not guaranteed.

In camp in the fall, on that make-good deal, he was the 16th man. Got waived. Then got re-signed. Managed to make the team and bump someone else.

In one season in GS, something finally clicked. Or he learned something new. Or he found a good fit. Or something.

Now he's in demand.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:55 AM)audiosway Wrote: It could be worse. We could have the Blazers front office. I like GPII but come on now. They money whipped that dude.

Yeah, and Mavs didn't money whipped McGee Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 02:24 AM)omahen Wrote: Yeah, and Mavs didn't money whipped McGee Smile

Actually it can be argued that the Mavs didn't. They paid McGee right about the same salary he got last year, after a year in which he certainly played up to the value of his contract. And he's been fairly consistent in his production for the last several seasons, with this past season being arguably his best.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 02:32 AM)F Gump Wrote: Actually it can be argued that the Mavs didn't. They paid McGee right about the same salary he got last year, after a year in which he certainly played up to the value of his contract. And he's been fairly consistent in his production for the last several seasons, with this past season being arguably his best.

Yeah, I don't get this overpay thing at all.  Years?  Maybe.  But dollars?  No.
Like Reply
I think I read GP2 has made like 1.9 million dollars in his career.  Good for him getting a good payday.  

That Portland team is going to be interesting.  I have no idea what they are.  Or what they will be in 2 years.   The potential outcomes are pretty wide in both directions.
Like Reply
I had a feeling he would have gotten more than what the Mavs could have offered with the MLE. He will be 30, this is probably the only opportunity he will have to make as much money as possible.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/15429...zIv-kqAAAA

This puts him at a starting salary just under 16 mil and puts POR around 148M in total salary.
Like Reply
Incredible perimeter defender.  One of the most underrated players in the NBA.  Would have loved him on the Mavericks, but, even though this is a moneyball contract, it’s was still too much for the Mavs. Pretty much any useful player is.  It’s harder to find these undervalued gems as most teams are becoming versed with more advanced analytics. I guess the JV contract isn’t so bad. $6 million per is like nothing these days.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 02:23 AM)F Gump Wrote: Payton is an interesting success story. Scuffled around the league for maybe 4-5 years, barely hanging on, sometimes just in GL. A bit over a year ago, he signed with GS near the end of the season to a "2 year" deal, all minimum, with the 2021-22 season not guaranteed.

In camp in the fall, on that make-good deal, he was the 16th man. Got waived. Then got re-signed. Managed to make the team and bump someone else.

In one season in GS, something finally clicked. Or he learned something new. Or he found a good fit. Or something.

Now he's in demand.

Don't forget that he wanted to be in GSW and signed on as a video coordinator.  He scratched, clawed and barely hung on for this payday.
Like Reply