Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
(06-30-2022, 07:50 PM)cow Wrote: If our rotation is Wood, Maxi, McGee and Powell, there are situations that all of these players can be successful in and games that they might not be playable in.  That rotation of who will start and play is going to be very fluid and depend on matchup.   While I think we overpaid, he's not that expensive to completely lose our shit over.  Maybe just a little shit for that 3rd year.

I think it's fairly obvious that Powell is not here when the season starts, which strengthens your point, I think.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it's fairly obvious that Powell is not here when the season starts, which strengthens your point, I think.

What's your reasoning with that?
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:50 PM)cow Wrote: If our rotation is Wood, Maxi, McGee and  Powell, there are situations that all of these players can be successful in and games that they might not be playable in.  That rotation of who will start and play is going to be very fluid and depend on matchup.   While I think we overpaid, he's not that expensive to completely lose our shit over.  Maybe just a little shit for that 3rd year.

Unless the Mavs are starting two bigs I do not believe for a second they will have that much money invested in their bigs going into the season. I will be SHOCKED if there isn't a significant trade or two coming down the pipe.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:52 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: What's your reasoning with that?

That they just brought in a new free agent whose role would 99.9% overlap with Powell's?
They have other holes, and his contract is expiring?
They're in the tax already and don't need both?
Mavs beat writers are hinting at it?
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty, StepBackJay
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1521340145349193729?s=20&t=z591JuBFz0pX_OxZtUPRQQ
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:56 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1521340145349193729?s=20&t=z591JuBFz0pX_OxZtUPRQQ

The defensive resistance by JB was epic........
Like Reply
I wouldn't get too caught up in him saying he will be starting. He is a career 15-20 mpg player, he may start but he'll still be playing reserve minutes overall, like Powell did.
[-] The following 3 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Unless the Mavs are starting two bigs I do not believe for a second they will have that much money invested in their bigs going into the season. I will be SHOCKED if there isn't a significant trade or two coming down the pipe.

You could dump Maxi pretty easily but I don't see that happening.  I hope Powell is gone too but I'm not going to count on it.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:59 PM)cow Wrote: You could dump Maxi pretty easily

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493bkiqrzwaws2nrynzv1n7...w.gif&ct=g]
Like Reply
I wanted Jalen Smith, someone younger who can improved and grow with Luka. But, I would just assume, the Mavs can't get to what numbers Smith would want.
I wanted a trade with Olynyk with either DP or THJ outgoing. So the Mavs won't spend additional on a C, just  getting better use of the money.
Same reason goes with Holmes.

But with this McGee signing, none of that will happen. I'm ok with McGee though, it just doesn't excite me in any way.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 08:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493bkiqrzwaws2nrynzv1n7...w.gif&ct=g]

I had to downgrade my modest hopes of dreams of Barton, Millsap and Horton-Tucker for the likes of McGee.  Just sayin'.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 08:04 PM)cow Wrote: I had to downgrade my modest hopes of dreams of Barton, Millsap and Horton-Tucker for the likes of McGee.  Just sayin'.

I will downgrade when JC is traded! Until then........THE DREAM IS ALIVE!
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Unless the Mavs are starting two bigs I do not believe for a second they will have that much money invested in their bigs going into the season. I will be SHOCKED if there isn't a significant trade or two coming down the pipe.

I have a good feeling they are working the phone lines too. I look for them to add another wing or two. Then, it just depends on what is available trade wise.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
Dallas Mavericks free agency grade: JaVale McGee signing
McGee averaged 9.2 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks in 15.8 minutes per game last season for the Suns. The 34-year-old has played 14 NBA seasons, and he has averaged over 20 minutes per game just three times. McGee told Tim MacMahon he plans to be the Mavericks starting center, but fans should only expect him to play around 15 minutes per game.

McGee will be impactful in those minutes. He protects the rim, rebounds, and gives Dallas another rim-rolling threat. The seven-footer is a significant upgrade over Dwight Powell on both ends of the floor, and he is a three-time NBA champion.

Dallas Mavericks grade for JaVale McGee deal: B+
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • audiosway, Mavsfan12, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 08:13 PM)Winter Wrote: The 34-year-old has played 14 NBA seasons

wtf, has it really been that long
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 08:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I will downgrade when JC is traded! Until then........THE DREAM IS ALIVE!

[Image: AffectionateCarefreeIvorybilledwoodpecke...ricted.gif]
Like Reply
Good God almighty.  Javele McGee is the type of big you sign to fill out your roster as a back up big to soak up some minutes.  He is not the guy you sign literally a minute into free agency.

Thank God Dirk and his posse that year won the Mavs a ring in spite of Cuban.  He is the Lucy to my Charlie Brown.  I fall for it every year with him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bayliss's post:
  • hakeemfaan, Jommybone
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:  , but Kidd coached him in LA, 

An overlooked part of the equation, but important. Kidd (and Dudley) know what to expect. McGee does too. The fit or system or way to find the right use for the player should be no issue. That will make a different in the likelihood of him working out or not, and makes me really like the deal.

The stats sometimes don't come along when a backup player moves from one team to another. In this case, I have confidence they will. And he was really productive for a part-timer.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • audiosway, Hypermav, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 08:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: An overlooked part of the equation, but important. Kidd (and Dudley) know what to expect. McGee does too. The fit or system or way to find the right use for the player should be no issue. That will make a different in the likelihood of him working out or not, and makes me really like the deal.

The stats sometimes don't come along when a backup player moves from one team to another. In this case, I have confidence they will. And he was really productive for a part-timer.

Javale played great last year.  He was hustling and covers a lot of ground.  But he is a 15 minute player and he is 35, that shouldn't be the first deal of free agency and it should be a 2 year deal.  How did they go from 13mm to Milwaukee to almost 21 for Dallas.  I would much rather had Jalen Smith but then he would expect to be a starter.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 07:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That they just brought in a new free agent whose role would 99.9% overlap with Powell's?
They have other holes, and his contract is expiring?
They're in the tax already and don't need both?
Mavs beat writers are hinting at it?

Sure seems likely Powell is moved
[-] The following 2 users Like StepBackJay's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply