Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center
(11-15-2022, 12:52 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I said I was fine with the signing.  He wasn't on my radar and I would not have targeted him, but I thought it was fine.  I was less thrilled when we got the $ and the years and the promise to start.    But I thought he could provide better rim defense and rebounding in his 15-20 minutes a game.  

I thought the third year would be lost money, I did not expect to be done with him in the first 1o games as a Mavs.   I am already looking at min types or second round draft picks to replace his role.    It is up to McGee to earn minutes.   It was so disappointing to watch his bad play.  Even worse, he was being asked to play 5 minute stretches and he showed very little energy/hustle out there.   That is not an old thing.   It is almost like he signed that contract and has unofficially retired now that he has 15 million coming to him.

Exactly how I feel
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 06:45 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: WTF? $7M/yr AND 3 yrs AND a player option????

30+ games later and nothing has changed. Absurd signing.
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 03:35 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: 30+ games later and nothing has changed. Absurd signing.

Yes, absurd is a great word for it.
Like Reply
Usual suspects performing a spectacular 180. Or just another case of selective amnesia. Kinda funny to read some of the posts in game threads or trade/roster talks and compare them to the posts on the first few pages.
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 04:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Usual suspects performing a spectacular 180. Or just another case of selective amnesia. Kinda funny to read some of the posts in game threads or trade/roster talks and compare them to the posts on the first few pages.

Not sure what you are talking about?  I just read the first three pages of this thread and every post hated the McGee signing.  Why are you creating straw men just to attack other posters?
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 04:13 PM)mvossman Wrote: Not sure what you are talking about?  I just read the first three pages of this thread and every post hated the McGee signing.  Why are you creating straw men just to attack other posters?

"Usual suspects" probably know who I am addressing.
Like Reply
I admit I gave JaVale a Dirkie once.
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 04:19 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: "Usual suspects" probably know who I am addressing.
Probably me. 

But you know it is possible to be wrong sometimes. I earnestly thought we'd be getting a valuable contributor. The PHX McGee version would be a starter here. He was a fantastic contributor off the bench in the regular season. He was also a valued contributor in LAL and GSW. 

It didn't work. It's a bad contract because of how bad he's been. If Mcgee was contributing like last year his contract would be a steal and we'd be singing praises. Alas we're in this reality.  I was way off the mark on this one. Not like I'm keeping score though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, BoredAssistant, F Gump
Like Reply
I wanted McGee.  I've been campaigning for a traditional center on a 1 year deal for the last several seasons.  McGee played well last year.  I don't even mind the salary.  I did think the signing was a Monkey's Paw curse because of the years given.  I still think McGee can contribute to a team but probably not ours.  We pulled the emergency break way too soon.  He seems like a good teammate on the bench but when he gets minutes, he's playing at half speed.  Kind of feels like we've already burned the bridge which is a failure on our part and more ammo for why a free agent might not want to come here.  We stupidly offered him a starters role and within a month he was getting zero playing time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
McGee was never on my list of centers to target, but I wasn't shocked the Mavs pursued him given the lack of other options in their price range. These are the kind of mistakes you make out of desperation when you've ruled out developing young players like normal teams do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Man, this signing turned out to be a complete $h1t the bed decision. The Mavs could surely use a decent third big following Maxi’s utterly predictable injury.
Like Reply
Great minutes by McGee tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply