Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(01-31-2023, 10:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: The problem with GH is that he's just not reliable. Those are 4-game numbers --- which are the only games he has played out of the last 13.

Once he plays 5-10 games, then he gets hurt and misses 5 or 10. You can't have 25% of your player spending used up on a player that's going to break down over and over and not play.

I honestly don´t care that much about Hayward, but Cuban likes to win trades (best player on paper) and talk himself into veterans. Therefore I´m Nico I would view the capspace and McDaniels as a win. I might get a bonus, if Hayward manages to stay healthy for a while. At least it seems clear there is still some game left in that body.
(01-30-2023, 04:58 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I like Quickley a lot but would be pretty disappointed in a deal for him that includes Hardy.

I wouldn't be. Quickley is better defensively, and is only 3 years older.
(02-01-2023, 08:09 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I wouldn't be. Quickley is better defensively, and is only 3 years older.

Quickley is fine but I am not giving up Hardy. Hardy still has very high upside.
(02-01-2023, 08:09 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I wouldn't be. Quickley is better defensively, and is only 3 years older.

That is true.   Hardy may never be as good as Quickly.  I will take that bet though that Hardy turns into a player.   Not sure what his peak is yet though.   Another thing to consider is Quickly will be getting paid soon too.   Hardy is super cheap for the next several seasons.    One of my goals this offseason is to find another young developmental project (preferably one taller than 6'7).    Ideally it would be a early second round pick type of player.
(02-01-2023, 09:22 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Quickley is fine but I am not giving up Hardy. Hardy still has very high upside.

Quickley is 23 and already good enough to play in an 8 man playoff rotation. He also fits very well next to Luka defensively. It would be a no brainer imo but NY isint moving IQ
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Big fan of Quickley...I would actually be willing to trade almost anyone on the roster for him since he's somewhat realistic. The MBT is obsessed with acquiring wings but what they really need is another scoring guard with traditional PG size...the role they didn't replace when Brunson left. For this type of stale non-motion offense, it's all about having an additional player who can help move the ball and keep the defense scrambling.
https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...mark-cuban
Ouch that report sounds like expected.
(02-01-2023, 04:18 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Ouch that report sounds like expected.

It's the same talking points we've heard for 8 months.

Fish stays fishing.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Something that is incredibly ironic is that this piece could NEVER have been written in the days of DallasBasketball.com

For one thing, Fish was incredibly connected to Donn Nelson. Almost apologetically so. Very few takes from DB.com/Fish were hyper critical of the MBT when donnie was running things.

The other issue is that at one time db.com was a Mavs mouthpiece. When the domain was originally registered it was done so under the Cuban umbrella. After a few years that entity was "freed" but it was done so under Fish's leadership and the "75 Member Staff". In other words, it was a relatively safe place with the "official" pieces and it was only in the message boards where the vitriol ran. One of "Rings"  party-platforms from back in the day was how dallasbasketball.com was a mark cuban puppet and Fish was the marionette. Not surprisingly, Rings got the boot - deservedly so, but still.

All that to say: Fish sold out, we were cast adrift until landing upon the Mavsboard (still room on this board Jack), I miss my friend Richard (as flawed as he was/is), and now that the Cowboys are no longer worthy of the soup du jour - FISH writes a rehash piece critical of the Mavs in an attempt to stay relevant: you know, now that he has little to lose for writing it...

Donuts anyone???
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • WildArkieBoy
(02-01-2023, 09:22 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Quickley is fine but I am not giving up Hardy. Hardy still has very high upside.

I think Hardy's upside is an elite 6th man (maybe Clarkson) but he is a long way from that.  Quickley is already good enough to be a two way starter as a point of attack defender and a secondary playmaker.  I think their ceilings are close and Quickley is a lot closer to his while being a better fit with Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
(02-02-2023, 11:56 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think Hardy's upside is an elite 6th man (maybe Clarkson) but he is a long way from that.  Quickley is already good enough to be a two way starter as a point of attack defender and a secondary playmaker.  I think their ceilings are close and Quickley is a lot closer to his while being a better fit with Luka.

I don't hesitate a nanosecond on including Hardy in a Quickley trade - depending on what else we're sending out. 

Don't think Quickley is anywhere close to available and that it's therefore moot.
It’s weird to me that Quickley isn’t available. He really looks ready to get a starting job, but there’s no way he breaks into the Knicks starting lineup with JB and Barrett holding down the spots he would fill. Seems like a no-brainer that he is outgoing in a trade to upgrade their team because he’s limited in the only role he can play on that team right now. Selling at what will probably be his peak value on that team while the team is jockeying for playoff positioning just makes too much sense.

My wide trade puts that team close, if not there as contenders.
(02-02-2023, 01:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It’s weird to me that Quickley isn’t available. He really looks ready to get a starting job, but there’s no way he breaks into the Knicks starting lineup with JB and Barrett holding down the spots he would fill. Seems like a no-brainer that he is outgoing in a trade to upgrade their team because he’s limited in the only role he can play on that team right now. Selling at what will probably be his peak value on that team while the team is jockeying for playoff positioning just makes too much sense.

My wide trade puts that team close, if not there as contenders.

What's your proposal? I looked over the past three pages in this thread and couldn't find it.
(02-02-2023, 02:05 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: What's your proposal? I looked over the past three pages in this thread and couldn't find it.
SD/DFS/Bullock/Powell/Frank for IQ/Reddish/Hartenstein/Toppin/Fournier/Rose

Gets them a team that might be able to compete with Boston, with some things going their way. They still have picks and some contracts to make more moves if it doesn’t fully pan out.

Gets us a youth movement to get to a competitive place in the next couple years. Decent possibility that Reddish and Hartenstein can show out here and either become better trade assets, or good teammates for the push.
(02-02-2023, 02:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: SD/DFS/Bullock/Powell/Frank for IQ/Reddish/Hartenstein/Toppin/Fournier/Rose

Gets them a team that might be able to compete with Boston, with some things going their way. They still have picks and some contracts to make more moves if it doesn’t fully pan out.

Gets us a youth movement to get to a competitive place in the next couple years. Decent possibility that Reddish and Hartenstein can show out here and either become better trade assets, or good teammates for the push.

I like that trade, but NY definitely doesn't do it without Hardy thrown in. We still have THJ, Bertans, and McGee stinking up our books, and now Fournier as well. Luka is likely pissed that we traded so many of his buds. I have no problem with DFS's inclusion for that haul, but SD does give me some pause. IQ is the big prize there, with some significant hopes for Hartenstein, Toppin, and maybe Reddish. Rose helps this year. As I look at that, it just really seems lopsided in favor of the Mavs. Even still, the thought of Cuban paying luxury tax on THJ/Bertans/McGee/Fournier (you can 100% forget about re-signing Wood) - no way that would happen, even if NY miraculously said yes without including FRPs.
Anyone notice that Spencer Dinwiddie absolutely refuses to kick out when he drives to the paint?  Or does he have something against wide open corner Josh Green?

Spencer, whom I actually think could be a good basketball player if he wasnt a ball hog, and THJ need to go asap.

Players that try and do too much cause losses...while also creating friction in team morale(notice Josh Green starting to get frustrated lately at Dinwiddie absolutely refusing to kick out to him)

Guys like Spencer and THJ are 90's Hero-ball players.  The games has long passed them.   The game is more IQ based now than 90's iso-ball where the best player just tried to do everything. 

Just get these guys off the team as soon as possible.

We need guys like Bojan.  Watch how mature his game is.  He doesnt try and force things or try and do too much...and he is still effective.   He's an IQ player with sound fundamentals.   Not some overpaid, athletic, iso-heavy "Super Star".   We need guys like this.

Please Please Please trade or bench Spencer and THJ regardless of asset management backlash.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Okstate819
(02-03-2023, 10:11 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Anyone notice that Spencer Dinwiddie absolutely refuses to kick out when he drives to the paint?  Or does he have something against wide open corner Josh Green?

Spencer, whom I actually think could be a good basketball player if he wasnt a ball hog, and THJ need to go asap.

Players that try and do too much cause losses...while also creating friction in team morale(notice Josh Green starting to get frustrated lately at Dinwiddie absolutely refusing to kick out to him)

Guys like Spencer and THJ are 90's Hero-ball players.  The games has long passed them.   The game is more IQ based now than 90's iso-ball where the best player just tried to do everything. 

Just get these guys off the team as soon as possible.

We need guys like Bojan.  Watch how mature his game is.  He doesnt try and force things or try and do too much...and he is still effective.   He's an IQ player with sound fundamentals.   Not some overpaid, athletic, iso-heavy "Super Star".   We need guys like this.

Please Please Please trade or bench Spencer and THJ regardless of asset management backlash.

Haven´t noticed a specific tendency with Dinwiddie yet. He ignores everybody, but THJ definitely ignores Green.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Okstate819
(02-03-2023, 10:16 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Haven´t noticed a specific tendency with Dinwiddie yet. He ignores everybody, but THJ definitely ignores Green.

Funny.  THJ still trigger happy and taking bad shots...but has started to pass more lately.

Dinwiddie on the other hand just refuses to kick out when he drives...even in a crowded lane.  He thinks his off-balance floater is some gift from God.   Its a bad shot and he should kick out but doesnt.

Both guys are not guys I want on my team.  Spencer is actually good but has gotten ball hoggish.   Go back to last year when Spencer first came....he was making the right passes and not ball hogging....it was fantastic.   Now hes comfortable ball-hogging and I want him gone.

I want pass first guys or guys that hit the open player over Hero-ball.  

I also get that THJ and Spencer will look a lot more professional in a Playoff atmosphere...I still want them gone based on their regular season behavior.
I've seen DFS and Bullock get frustrated at Dinwiddie pretending to run the offense for 10 seconds and then he'll wave them off and ISO while the shot clock runs down. He has never been a star in the league but he knows that he's the second ball-handler/perimeter scorer here so he can do whatever he wants. It's a good ego boost and role elevation for a player like him.
Dinwiddie was lying...Kuzma was right
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • sefant