Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
Is Collins that much better than Wood? Or rather, is he actually better at all?
[-] The following 4 users Like Branduil's post:
  • BigDirk41, Mavsfan12, omahen, Smitty
(07-02-2022, 11:08 AM)omahen Wrote: Wood, salary fillers and a couple of picks for Collins

I don't think JC costs two 1sts. He has been on the trade block for over a year. If ATL could have gotten two 1sts for him I think a deal would have happened long ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Jommybone
(07-02-2022, 11:08 AM)omahen Wrote: So would you do Wood, salary fillers and a couple of picks for Collins, if it was on the table? I don't think he is one of the guys that would make this team a title contender.

You didn’t ask me, but I would not. I view Wood and Collins in roughly the same tier. Giving up picks to get what might be an upgrade is a non-starter for me personally.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, Branduil, omahen
(07-02-2022, 11:10 AM)Smitty Wrote: I view Wood and Collins in roughly the same tier

They are definitely close in talent and value IMO. JC is younger and more expensive. CW is cheaper and older. JC might have a value of one more 1st than CW. But I don't think that is a certainty at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Atlanta is not trading Collins for lesser players. They are all in. He has been "on the block" for better players, not because they need to dump him. Sort of what Dallas planned with Brunson, but failed. I doubt Collins is important enough to demand a trade with 4 years left on his deal.

Not sure how Atlanta stands with tax after all their moves. I think they are in the tax teritory. There could be two motivations for them:
- trade Collins for little salary and picks to get under the tax
- trade Collins for a better player
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Mavs2021
That's a apples to apples comparision IMO
(07-02-2022, 11:09 AM)Kammrath Wrote: So if the Mavs are leaving a roster spot open, then it means they foresee a possible trade where they get back one more player than they send out.

Another possibility is that they anticipate getting under the apron with the trade and expect to sign Dragic with the remainder of the non-taxpayer MLE, no?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • Kammrath
(07-02-2022, 11:18 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Another possibility is that they anticipate getting under the apron with the trade and expect to sign Dragic with the remainder of the non-taxpayer MLE, no?

That would certainly be a more realistic reason. Although I would be dissapointed if Mavs would be dumping even more assets just to get under apron.
(07-02-2022, 11:09 AM)Kammrath Wrote: So if the Mavs are leaving a roster spot open, then it means they foresee a possible trade where they get back one more player than they send out.

This is a high possibility. I still think that any trade will need to bring back less salary than what’s outgoing. At this point I view the rest of the off-season about making a move that may not be considered an obvious upgrade but one that decreases/eliminates the tax bill
If we obtained Wood only to re-trade him, the incoming player or players had better be pretty special, or it takes even more of the luster away from what was already a messy offseason.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen
(07-02-2022, 11:30 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If we obtained Wood only to re-trade him, the incoming player or players had better be pretty special, or it takes even more of the luster away from what was already a messy offseason.

I’m sure Wood feels welcomed being mentioned as a trade asset by the FO (Skin) before ever playing a second.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, Branduil
(07-02-2022, 10:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They are saying one thing but if that is the case I don´t get what they are doing in the offseason. If this is an 18 months plan they should be accumulating assets. Sign younger players with upside. Instead we are getting McGee and Dragic (if that happens).

If you can comfortably flip 3 first round picks you don’t need players with upside in a big trade, you just need the salary match.

Jrue Holiday trade was for George Hill and Eric Bledsoe
Dejounte Murray just went for Gallinari

I assume this is the type of trade the Mavs are looking at next offseason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • omahen
(07-02-2022, 11:32 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Jrue Holiday trade was for George Hill and Eric Bledsoe
Dejounte Murray just went for Gallinari

And more recently, Murray was for Gallo and Gobert was for a bunch of role players, Beasley even on a bad contract.
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
A year from now Bertans contract is a lot more attractive with a non guaranteed final year right? Him and the right addition to make salaries match along with picks get at least a Murray level player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Ya it’s only 5 mil guaranteed on the last year if I remember correctly.
(07-02-2022, 11:32 AM)Smitty Wrote: I’m sure Wood feels welcomed being mentioned as a trade asset by the FO (Skin) before ever playing a second.

For sure. Not as bad as Hardaway taking a smaller deal to return to the Mavs and then being shopped all over the league all season in trade pitches. Zero chance you get Brunson on a discount after that fiasco. 

But hey, many here criticized former management for loving their boys in blue too much. Obviously current management doesn’t suffer from that malady. 

I’m gonna guess here that the loser of the Atlanta/Indy DeAndre Ayton sweepstakes settles for Christian Wood + something and sends us Myles Turner or John Collins in the return package.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Smitty
(07-02-2022, 11:02 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Nets would never accept that offer. Even if we add more picks. They want all stars or almost all stars back, not role players. Mitchell, Adebayo and the likes. They can always get the Woods and the SDs of the world. It cost us a very late FRP to get Wood and bad salary to get SD.

Lets assume they aren’t getting Adebayo or Booker.  Give me the trades Phoenix and Miami can make that are better.  Toronto is mentioned as a dark horse, but they aren’t sending Barnes.  Maybe the Mitchell thing works, but what is Mitchell signing up for him and Simmons being the stars of the new look Nets?
(07-02-2022, 11:48 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Lets assume they aren’t getting Adebayo or Booker.  Give me the trades Phoenix and Miami can make that are better.

Herro and Lowry sounds much better than SD and Woods, imho. Herro is a potential (although overhyped imho) and Lowry is a name.

I think Phoenix will do something with Ayton and Bridges. Both are much better than Woods and SD. Phoenix also has way more picks than Dallas.
  • HoosierDaddyKid
(07-02-2022, 11:48 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Toronto

If they just put Siakam on the table, the offer is miles better than Woods and SD. They also have Anunoby and I would think they could offer both. Not sure Durant would be very interested in Toronto, though
Luka | Dinwiddie | Hardy
Bullock | Hardaway | Green
Finney-Smith | Ntilikina | Pinson
Wood | Kleber | Bertans
McGee | Powell

I bet the Mavs are still thirsting after Thybulle.