Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...0083803137
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0834758656
(08-14-2022, 11:03 AM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0834758656

Did these guys play in summer league for anyone?
Never heard of either of them. 

Wright apparently played for Minnesota last season and played pretty well for their g-league affiliate with 18ppg/5rpg/7apg over 18 games. He's also 5'11. 

The other guy to me is a complete unknown. Cursory glance at his ESPN profile has him at 6'9 210lbs senior that didn't make much noise. 

I think the roster count is at 16 now? Mavs should have 4 more spots to hand out.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5189496832
(08-20-2022, 09:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5189496832

I think this story is one of those "there's nothing going on so lets just rehash something we know won't happen" type of deals.

The Cavs insider the article is quoting says as such:
Quote:“The Cavs have had conversations with Dallas about a sign-and-trade for Collin Sexton,” Fedor said. “But if you’re talking about a sign-and-trade, the Cavs need something back that is going to be valuable to them. And neither the [Utah] Jazz nor the Mavericks have the pieces that the Cavs would want back in a sign and trade for Collin.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
The author of that article shows a lack of awareness of the rules and how they totally impact the situation.

The Mavs, being 10M over the apron, are not allowed to sign-and-trade for Sexton. Without a massive off-loading of salary (and the talent attached), any talks couldn't get serious.

In addition, his note that this might drag into training camp is way off too. Sexton is in a corner, and has 3 options right now - take the QO, take whatever multi-year offer CLE is making, or go get a better offer from another team (and it appears others aren't interested). But once camp begins, the QO goes away, and Sexton can only take whatever CLE wants to offer over however long (no matter how lousy that is), or get an offer from another team that CLE can match.

With those being the choices, the only play is for the player to pick something BEFORE camp starts. Once camp starts without a deal, it's a disaster scenario for them. There is no QO to get them to free agency the next summer, and no workaround to bypass whatever CLE wants.

This feels to me like the same "overplay your hand" that Rich Paul did with Noel in Dallas. There's a reason teams aren't lining up to give you huge money, and it's not necessarily because you are RFA. Teams will chase RFAs if they are valued. Noel turned down the team's deal, stuck with QO, and teams who were barely interested the first time weren't any more excited the next summer.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, mvossman
Can someone help me understand the flexibility talk about keeping the 15th spot open?  From what I understand, the Mavs can only offer the minimum.  So the only cost to adding another player if they fill the 15th spot is the releasing of a current player, right?   Am I am right to say in theory this would not create any more flexibility?

So when Marks talks about flexibility is he more thinking about not doing anything before camp when they may sign the last player?   Maybe holding out hope in a slim chance one of these bigger trades happen before training camp.
(08-23-2022, 07:04 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Can someone help me understand the flexibility talk about keeping the 15th spot open?  From what I understand, the Mavs can only offer the minimum.  So the only cost to adding another player if they fill the 15th spot is the releasing of a current player, right?   Am I am right to say in theory this would not create any more flexibility?

After seeing how Tyler Dorsey is playing with the Greece national team, I am inclined to think the Mavs expect him to earn a roster spot AND to take minutes that would have been available to Dragic. That is my current guess.
(08-23-2022, 07:04 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Can someone help me understand the flexibility talk about keeping the 15th spot open?  From what I understand, the Mavs can only offer the minimum.  So the only cost to adding another player if they fill the 15th spot is the releasing of a current player, right?   Am I am right to say in theory this would not create any more flexibility?

So when Marks talks about flexibility is he more thinking about not doing anything before camp when they may sign the last player?   Maybe holding out hope in a slim chance one of these bigger trades happen before training camp.

I think Cuban might try to sell it like that.

But imo leaving the last spot open is really about the money. (But Cuban will keep wanting to BS us and try to make us think it's something else.) There is tax added, if he signs someone, and Cuban doesn't want to pay what it costs.

So they will try to fill any 15th-man minutes with a 2-way player, whose contract does not get taxed. However, you can't do that with a seasoned veteran, only with a player who has just a few years of experience and is still floating around without an NBA job. That would be Dorsey. But it closes the door on MANY players who might have been quite helpful in time of need.

As the season goes along, in the early season they might sign someone to a non-guaranteed contract, use them for a bit, then waive them unless they are badly needed or way better than expected. After Jan 15, NG deals aren't possible, but 10-day contracts become an option. Those payments are taxed, but it adds up to smaller total that way.

If Dorsey or some else shows anything of value, near the end of the year they will negotiate a deal to a regular contract at the minimum, for rest of season plus another season, likely non-guaranteed (if they can negotiate it).

All that lessens the financial outlay.

This cycling of players could have one potential upside, if they have the skills as a franchise to make it work. It cycles through multiple players, and you have a 2-way slot open as incentive, as well as a regular NBA spot open, and you might have players coming up and going down to GL. But your ID-ing of talent and development dept and GL setup have to be great to make this path yield dividends, and there's lots of room for doubt on that, based on past history.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • chaparral, Chicagojk, RoyTarpleysGhost
^ YEP

They’re not going to do anything to add salary. It’s all talk about this plan or that plan fell through so we’re going to keep our flexibility. Cuban is broke AF. It should’ve been clear as day when they let Brunson walk for nothing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • F Gump
(08-23-2022, 01:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think Cuban might try to sell it like that.

But imo leaving the last spot open is really about the money. (But Cuban will keep wanting to BS us and try to make us think it's something else.) There is tax added, if he signs someone, and Cuban doesn't want to pay what it costs.

So they will try to fill any 15th-man minutes with a 2-way player, whose contract does not get taxed. However, you can't do that with a seasoned veteran, only with a player who has just a few years of experience and is still floating around without an NBA job. That would be Dorsey. But it closes the door on MANY players who might have been quite helpful in time of need.

As the season goes along, in the early season they might sign someone to a non-guaranteed contract, use them for a bit, then waive them unless they are badly needed or way better than expected. After Jan 15, NG deals aren't possible, but 10-day contracts become an option. Those payments are taxed, but it adds up to smaller total that way.

If Dorsey or some else shows anything of value, near the end of the year they will negotiate a deal to a regular contract at the minimum, for rest of season plus another season, likely non-guaranteed (if they can negotiate it).

This cycling of players could have one potential upside, if they have the skills as a franchise to make it work. It cycles through multiple players, and you have a 2-way slot open as incentive, as well as a regular NBA spot open, and you might have players coming up and going down to GL. But your ID-ing of talent and development dept and GL setup have to be great to make this path yield dividends, and there's lots of room for doubt on that, based on past history.

As a long time Mavs Fan, it pains me to say I think your answer to CJK question is dead on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • F Gump
(08-23-2022, 01:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think Cuban might try to sell it like that.

"And for those reasons, I'm out"

-Shark Cuban
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • F Gump
My most important Mavs player (besides the obvious) entering the season:

1) Spencer Dinwiddie.   I feel if we get off to a slow start that Dinwiddie may be the one who gets a lot of blame.   He widely exceeded my expectations after he came on over after the trade.   He was up and down in the playoffs.  It is tough to fit in seamlessly after a midseason trade.   Not only will he need to show that he can play well with Luka, but he really needs to lead the team when Luka sits.   He also needs to stay healthy.   That has been an issue for him in the past.

2) Christian Wood-  Can he move from a guy who puts up good numbers for awful teams to a guy who can impact winning?   In theory, he appears to be an ideal fit for this offense.   But I think we are all looking for more than just #'s.  Can he do the little things?  Is he reliable?   Can he make winning plays?   We need to give him some time, but in reality the Mavs will probably make a decision on him pretty early in the season whether he is a long term fit here.

3) Josh Green/Frank N-  Things would look much better if either (both ideally) proved to be good rotation players who play good minutes.    It just opens up a lot more opportunities either in a trade or at low cost role players.  

4) Tim Hardaway jr-  Maybe should have been #3.   Although I think we have a pretty good idea where he fits in.   Hopefully he is closer to the 20-21 Hardaway than the one from last season.  Although, unlike some of our other shooters who played better late, we didn't get the chance to see if Hardaway would have gotten into a groove as the season went on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump, mvossman
(08-24-2022, 04:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: My most important Mavs player (besides the obvious) entering the season:

1) Spencer Dinwiddie.   I feel if we get off to a slow start that Dinwiddie may be the one who gets a lot of blame.   He widely exceeded my expectations after he came on over after the trade.   He was up and down in the playoffs.  It is tough to fit in seamlessly after a midseason trade.   Not only will he need to show that he can play well with Luka, but he really needs to lead the team when Luka sits.   He also needs to stay healthy.   That has been an issue for him in the past.

2) Christian Wood-  Can he move from a guy who puts up good numbers for awful teams to a guy who can impact winning?   In theory, he appears to be an ideal fit for this offense.   But I think we are all looking for more than just #'s.  Can he do the little things?  Is he reliable?   Can he make winning plays?   We need to give him some time, but in reality the Mavs will probably make a decision on him pretty early in the season whether he is a long term fit here.

3) Josh Green/Frank N-  Things would look much better if either (both ideally) proved to be good rotation players who play good minutes.    It just opens up a lot more opportunities either in a trade or at low cost role players.  

4) Tim Hardaway jr-  Maybe should have been #3.   Although I think we have a pretty good idea where he fits in.   Hopefully he is closer to the 20-21 Hardaway than the one from last season.  Although, unlike some of our other shooters who played better late, we didn't get the chance to see if Hardaway would have gotten into a groove as the season went on.

That's a good list. If things turn out with each and all of those like we hope they might (and none of those are far-fetched at all), this will be a really formidable team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick
(08-24-2022, 04:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: My most important Mavs player (besides the obvious) entering the season:

Like the list.  I would add one more name.  Luka.  Can he come into the season in shape and play like a superstar from day 1, instead of taking half a season to play himself into shape?  Not only that, does he have even another level to reach?  He is only 23.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Kammrath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9zLJfJv86Q&ab_channel=NBA

Starts with a Unicorn and ends with Wood.  39 point double double.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Thinking about RW, I think the door to two possible Westbrook destinations may have closed this week.

The LA deal for Beverley may mean there is no further deal coming where Westbrook is traded for some of Utah's other veterans.  You never know and Ainge may be waiting until after Mitchel is finalized to deal the Conley's, Beasley's, Clarkson's and Bogdanovich's of the world.  Or, it may be that the only match between Utah and LAL was the one that happened.

KD's return to Brooklyn may have also closed the door to any RW for Irving deal.

That leaves Indy as the most likely destination in my mind and the much talked about Turner + Hield deal.  The $8mm spread between RW and the Turner/Hield combo uses up $8mm of Indy's cap space meaning the Pacers would still have cap room.  Powell fits into that space.  Depending on what site you use, THJ might also fit into that space (ESPN and Spotrac numbers say yes, but the Fanspo site says no).   Indy already has their veteran big in Theis (who has some injury issues right now).  THJ to Indy as a Hield replacement probably makes sense.

Anything that sends either Powell or THJ into space gets Dallas a TPE and gets us under the Apron and might open up some other possibilities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Paul Gasol
(08-26-2022, 12:23 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thinking about RW, I think the door to two possible Westbrook destinations may have closed this week.

The LA deal for Beverley may mean there is no further deal coming where Westbrook is traded for some of Utah's other veterans.  You never know and Ainge may be waiting until after Mitchel is finalized to deal the Conley's, Beasley's, Clarkson's and Bogdanovich's of the world.  Or, it may be that the only match between Utah and LAL was the one that happened.

KD's return to Brooklyn may have also closed the door to any RW for Irving deal.

That leaves Indy as the most likely destination in my mind and the much talked about Turner + Hield deal.  The $8mm spread between RW and the Turner/Hield combo uses up $8mm of Indy's cap space meaning the Pacers would still have cap room.  Powell fits into that space.  Depending on what site you use, THJ might also fit into that space (ESPN and Spotrac numbers say yes, but the Fanspo site says no).   Indy already has their veteran big in Theis (who has some injury issues right now).  THJ to Indy as a Hield replacement probably makes sense.

Anything that sends either Powell or THJ into space gets Dallas a TPE and gets us under the Apron and might open up some other possibilities.

I'm totally fine sending out Powell for air, but no interest in doing that for Timmy if that is the thought?
My sense of all the Westbrook "rumors" is that they have been wishful thinking for LA, and that's about it. IOW I don't think any doors have ever been there in the first place.

Instead I think LA's choices are to play him or to sit/waive him until his contract runs out.

It's hard to see any value to someone else in getting RW - you don't want him on the court, he certainly won't be a trade chip, you won't re-sign him, you he won't be attracting sign-and-trade offers when he's a FA. It's no value, and huge negative (he's owed massive money, that you have to pay him if you trade for him -- the kind that an owner wants lots of compensation for).

What makes it even more impossible is that LA wants YOU to send value to them (like Kyrie, or the Indy boys). As if he's someone you want. Sheesh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Paul Gasol