Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(03-28-2023, 09:47 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: at least Luka been playing so much better than trae especially this season despite team's record. people shouldn't expect too much from the same player even though luka is a historical talent without a doubt. luka ain't the best player in the league yet with the presences of alphabet, embiid and jokic but in a few years maybe luka will be the best.

What's Trae have to do with it? He's having a down year. As great as Luka is, it can happen to him too. Julius Randle had a poor year last season, look at what he's done this year. Trae is a great talent, I'm sure he'll bounce back.
https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...60577?s=46&t=gVyHhUpff1PFGCyaxsw67w

11-1 when Powell comes off the bench BTW.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
It has been only one game and last game, but can we forget the last few weeks of Green’s play.  He looks like the player he was for most of the year.  Maybe just the drain of the season or in his head a little bit.  He looks like a real piece again.  Would like to see him starting though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Reunion Mav
I would love to have an off-season like the Kings had…..really good rookie who fits their team and knows how to play and a first for Kevin Huerter.  Those are the smart moves we constantly miss.  Kings play a beautiful style of offense as well.
(04-05-2023, 08:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It has been only one game and last game, but can we forget the last few weeks of Green’s play.  He looks like the player he was for most of the year.  Maybe just the drain of the season or in his head a little bit.  He looks like a real piece again.  Would like to see him starting though.

He came in the third and he hardly touched the ball in the quarter.  Need to get him moving and touching the ball.  Mavs have way too many possessions where there is a no pass early shot three.  Looks great when they go in like in the third, but just not a winning strategy imo.
  • SwisherPrice
Is THJ just giving us more Fool's Gold with another stretch of hot shooting? Cuban might think he can be part of a Big Three now  Undecided
(04-05-2023, 10:11 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Is THJ just giving us more Fool's Gold with another stretch of hot shooting? Cuban might think he can be part of a Big Three now  Undecided

I really hope Mavs sell high on his recent plays
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, SwisherPrice
Figuring we resign Kyrie, how do we build the roster how do we allow our stars to be stars?  That should be a 24 hour a day job until the start of next season. I have said it before but we aren’t far away.  But I must add we aren’t as close as we were.  Finding a starting quality big wing and a high IQ center who can defend the rim would make a world of difference with the role players we have.  I just don’t know if we can find the perfect fits of both, so we may need to duck tape it a little.  A good GM can find solid temporary solutions.
  • Reunion Mav
When/if Luka leaves who does Mark blame:  dad, mom, girlfriend, Nico, Kid, etc?

I am so embarrassed by the comments by Cuban yesterday.  All of them.  Mickey Mouse franchise. They played the high road and it was so different than a Cuban run franchise.  Cuban couldn’t help it.  A simple no comment and adding we messed up but we will correct it would have done.  Now the national talk will be all on this, Jalen will be asked about it (he will answer as a pro), Luka will be asked about it, and it is now a story with legs.  Amateur.
[-] The following 5 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
(04-06-2023, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: When/if Luka leaves who does Mark blame:  dad, mom, girlfriend, Nico, Kid, etc?

I am so embarrassed by the comments by Cuban yesterday.  All of them.  Mickey Mouse franchise. They played the high road and it was so different than a Cuban run franchise.  Cuban couldn’t help it.  A simple no comment and adding we messed up but we will correct it would have done.  Now the national talk will be all on this, Jalen will be asked about it (he will answer as a pro), Luka will be asked about it, and it is now a story with legs.  Amateur.
I really didn’t think that was the worst of it. The take foul changing the game and not seeing it is just as if not more egregious to me. It being “on me (Cuban)” is just more insight on the FO dynamic not changing from the Nelson years, while STILL being on Kidd for not seeing it and reporting back the need to fix.
(04-06-2023, 02:04 AM)omahen Wrote: I really hope Mavs sell high on his recent plays

There is no sell-high. THJ is a self-preservation act, so playing well enough to f*** the tank is his way of job security.  THJ has no interest to see a top 10 pick walk into this place next year. Just like Kyrie does not want Scoot Henderson threatening his five year max extension.

Nobody is talking about this aspect of the game. People always act like athletes care so much about winning, that´s why they hate tanking. They also hate it, cause the higher the pick, the higher the threat you are getting replaced. Every CBA negotiation the NBAPA looks for ways to increase the NBA entry level stipulation so the current players have better job security at the expense of outsiders.

That´s why you hire a professional GM that makes tough choices.

Nobody is buying this changed THJ around the league. Sure you can trade him, but for Caris Levert, Joe Harris or Evan Fournier.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime
(04-06-2023, 10:18 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: There is no sell-high. THJ is a self-preservation act, so playing well enough to f*** the tank is his way of job security.  THJ has no interest to see a top 10 pick walk into this place next year. Just like Kyrie does not want Scoot Henderson threatening his five year max extension.

Nobody is talking about this aspect of the game. People always act like athletes care so much about winning, that´s why they hate tanking. They also hate it, cause the higher the pick, the higher the threat you are getting replaced. Every CBA negotiation the NBAPA looks for ways to increase the NBA entry level stipulation so the current players have better job security at the expense of outsiders.

That´s why you hire a professional GM that makes tough choices.

Nobody is buying this changed THJ around the league. Sure you can trade him, but for Caris Levert, Joe Harris or Evan Fournier.

Athletes for the most part always will play hard.  Whatever other faults THJ has, he has always played hard during his tenure here. When he leaves that’s eventually how I will remember him. With Kyrie you can question if he is always motivated to play basketball and can take off unexpectedly,but when he steps on the court he has always played hard. Also most players are always playing with the expectation that they can be traded anytime and don’t want the reputation of being lazy on the court. 

That’s why tank is never on the player. Even a coach is for the most part always trying to win unless the coach has security that he will be in after the tanking seasons as well.  A tank can mainly be orchestrated by the GM and owner with the owner ok with it and the GM moving certain pieces out so that even if the coach tries his best or the players play hard, the results will be dismal.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Some real rest time will be good for Luka.
I just hope he doesn't show up to camp at 275 pounds next season
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • Knutsen
https://hoopshype.com/lists/mavericks-of...tion-more/
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
The easiest decision of the off-season is Bullock. He was the 2nd worst rated player in the NBA this season according to LEBRON and the 4th worst according to RAPTOR.  He was bad in pretty much all the more advanced metrics, including the defensive ones. He’s cooked and too old to bounce back. Only half his salary is guaranteed next year.  He’s gone, the question is how.  I imagine Cuban just tries to cut salary cost rather than using the contract to acquire a worthwhile player.
[-] The following 3 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, MFFL
(04-08-2023, 07:19 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://hoopshype.com/lists/mavericks-of...tion-more/

If we have the MLE, you got something to work with, but you have to be ultra-professional.

Step 1: Use the MLE as a weapon. Jalen McDaniels is an UFA. Offer Philly a S&T for Bullock or they lose McDaniels for nothing. I think Philly accept that.
Step 2: Use the MLE as a weapon again. Vucevic is an UFA. Now I´m sure he wants a little more than the MLE, but get him to agree on it to gain leverage, and I´m 100% sure you pressure the Bulls into a deal. Say THJ for Vucevic.
Step 3: Re-sign Powell + Ntilikina for the minimum
Step 4: Split the MLE between Mykhailiuk and Saric
Step 4: Re-sign Kyrie to something reasonable.

That´s basically the team before using the 1st round pick in a future trade.

Doncic/Hardy/Ntilikina
Irving/Green/Lawson
McDaniels/Mykhailiuk
Hendricks/Saric/Bertans
Vucevic/Kleber/Powell/McGee

Not sure whether it works under the new CBA. Think it should, but I´d say either way that´s something like the best case scenario. You cannot panic now, even if you feel the clock is ticking. Another panic move this summer and you are completely screwed.
I was reading something this morning saying expect DP back around his 11 million per year salary or right around that. I hope to God that is wrong. Let him walk or pay him 4-5 million a year
Besides completely screwing up the moves this season, the Mavs FO managed also to:
1. Get into another FO scandal (Donnie accusing Cuban of malpractice and them accusing him of sexual misconduct)
2. Get into allegations of intentionally lowering one players value by not playing him
3. Blame a former players dad for their malpractice
4. Make up fairytale reasons that little children see as stupid for their failure (take foul impact) indicating that they are either stupid or think everyone else is stupid to believe that
5. Break unwritten rules of the league by publicly declaring tanking, forcing the league to intervene

Good job...
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • LifeAquatic
(04-08-2023, 07:19 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://hoopshype.com/lists/mavericks-of...tion-more/

Good article.  I'd like to think through this on the financial side.  Actual targets can come later...

I thought they were pretty fair in their assessments of Wood and Powell.  I agree that Dallas will keep one of these two.  There just isn't space under the apron(s) for both.  My prediction is they keep Powell as a backup.  The article mentions the $7mm-$8mm range for Powell and provide some comps.  The comps feel pretty close.    

Kyrie is staying.  Given our money situation, I don't think he gets his $47mm max.  My prediction is Irving will agree quickly, but his money will be flexible while Dallas does other business (like Harden last year).  When he does sign, I think he'll get something in the $37mm-$40mm range for the first year of a 3/1 with a PO on the fourth (if you ask him to give up money, you have to give him years).  He'll be painted as 'sacrificing' some money to help the team, but the truth may be that there weren't better offers.

The big financial decisions revolve around Bertans and Bullock.  Either could be used as semi expiring deals in trade.  Bertans is an expensive S/W costing $6.6mm per year for five years.  Everyone knows we can save about $5mm if we cut Bullock's NG.  What I've not seen mentioned yet is the possibility of cutting him and then S/W'ing him.  His $5.4mm guarantee becomes $1.8mm per year for 3 years.  I think that's what they will do.  They have to get some room under the apron. 

I'm carrying Bertans and the #10 pick on my spreadsheet for now (fingers crossed on the pick).  The logic is the pick at $5.2mm and Bertans combined is essentially the same as trading Bertans and the pick for someone making $5mm over his salary.  A two for one does create the need to fill in an extra minimum salary.   Bertans alone only gets you to a $22mm player (Turner).  More than that and you need to add bodies to the deal (and minimum's to the cap sheet)

I think they will keep Maxi and THJ.

I think we will keep Hardy and extend Green starting in the low teens.

We'll carry Wright and Lawson as third stringers at the lower minimum saving a couple million.  We won't fill the 15th spot to start the year.

If you keep the trade spread at about $5mm, pay KI $40mm and Powell $8mm, S/W Bullock's guarantee and do all of the other things outlined, it leaves us enough below the first apron to use the full MLE.  You'll be hard capped, but that isn't the end of the world.  If you are hard capped for using the full MLE, you might as well open the door to sign and trades.  That puts the spending limit at about $168mm.  There is certainly a world where we spend up to the new 2nd Apron at about $180mm, but that takes S&T's and the full MLE off the table.  That's fine if your trade target isn't a FA and if you have a $7mm player you like better than what you can get with $11mm.  I just think your options are more wide open if you stay under the first apron.

(04-08-2023, 09:04 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The easiest decision of the off-season is Bullock. He was the 2nd worst rated player in the NBA this season according to LEBRON and the 4th worst according to RAPTOR.  He was bad in pretty much all the more advanced metrics, including the defensive ones. He’s cooked and too old to bounce back. Only half his salary is guaranteed next year.  He’s gone, the question is how.  I imagine Cuban just tries to cut salary cost rather than using the contract to acquire a worthwhile player.

You can S/W his guarantee, knocking his $5.4mm down to $1.8mm.  Unless someone values him in a trade, I think this is the path for Bullock.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, MFFL, omahen, Reunion Mav
(04-09-2023, 08:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: it leaves us enough below the first apron to use the full MLE.

Good piece. I would like to address this full MLE. Who would be the targets in your opinion?

Personally, I don't see many good options. Brooks, Grant Williams and PJ Washington are interesting guys, but I think they are worth more than full MLE to their current teams. Thybulle was a target before, but he is restricted and not sure he is worth the full MLE. I don't see other targets that would bring more to the table than Bullock is bringing. Staying under the first apron makes more sense if Mavs would be targeting a SnT for someone like Jerami Grant, imho