Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(03-28-2023, 04:00 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: It's valid criticism for Luka. After 5 years I'm starting to think he may be one of the hardest players to ever build a championship team around because of his style of play and defensive shortcomings. Especially when it comes to finding a good center/big man that fits with him on both ends of the floor

Man...I love Luka's bag...love it.   Deepest offensive bag ever...and I think significantly so.

Its just that it comes with a doughy kid that isnt explosive.  Add to that, his IQ is best displayed in a massaging style, high usage roll on offense. 

IMO, fans have become accustom to highly skilled, explosive 6'7-6'9 players willing to pass the rock around.   Passing the rock you could argue gets old and leads to turnovers....but over time...watching the same player do the same thing over and over again is harder to watch than a bunch of passing over and over again.

I agree that he might be hard to build around as there are not many Chris Bosh's available at center/big...but it just comes down to night in night out style with me.   I think Luka is a Playoff Super Star...but hard to watch night in and night out.
(03-28-2023, 04:46 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Oh ya there's plenty of valid criticism to toss Luka's way don't get me wrong but saying the 24 year old who has already made 3 all nba first teams is not going to age well is a pretty bold stance to take.

The Mavs are down bad and Luka has certainly irked me the way that he's been irking everyone else and something is clearly off but we're letting a shitty end to the season get to the point where we're kind of ignoring that Luka is still objectively one of the best 6 or 7 players in the world.

I stand by my statement.

Unless Luka brings something new...I dont feel the massaging goes over well with players wanting to play with him or the fans.

Again...I think GSW or any offense that passes is where the NBA is going.   You can argue that passing leads to turnovers and isnt ideal...thats not the point.  The point is the game is moving towards moving the rock more than just by one to three guys touching the ball per possession.   Ok...now you can say "thats not how its done in Playoffs"  because of turnovers or some other excuse.  I am saying it will get cleaned up to where passing can be done without a bunch of turnovers.   Just like how guys work on their dribbles and dribbles evolve...so will the ability for players to catch without fumbling and pass without turning the rock over.
In fairness to Luka,  it doesn't help that he plays for THIS organization with THIS owner and coach. The Mavs have been so dysfunctional behind the scenes, going back to all of the friction with RC and players and Donnie/Voulgaris/Cuban

If he was on a team run properly from top to bottom then things might be different. Dirk had an offensive guru like Nellie early in his career, backed with Donnie in the front office when he still knew what he was doing
(03-28-2023, 05:34 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: In fairness to Luka,  it doesn't help that he plays for THIS organization with THIS owner and coach. The Mavs have been so dysfunctional behind the scenes, going back to all of the friction with RC and players and Donnie/Voulgaris/Cuban

If he was on a team run properly from top to bottom then things might be different. Dirk had an offensive guru like Nellie early in his career, backed with Donnie in the front office when he still knew what he was doing

Sorry...I dont buy this.

Especially with SO MANY on this board insinuating Luka doesnt want to change the way he plays.  How do they know?  Why talk like that if you dont know?  Yeah...repulsive language if you really dont know how Luka thinks.

I do not know Luka what so ever...but if the above has any validity to it...I would see Luka pulling a KP and wanting out if he was on a team like GSW or some team that crashed his usage.   Of course...there are going to be usage defenders that come out of the woodwork and claim you cant put the ball in a better persons hands yada yada yada yawn
We've heard a lot about Luka being able to play different styles if surrounded with appropriate talent which has always felt like a combination of wishful thinking and a chick or the egg argument.  Granted, I haven't been able to watch many Mavs games since the Kyrie trade due to some personal issues but what little I have seen has been discouraging.  Further discouraging is teammate involvement with Kyrie and without Luka.  

My Luka fandom has always been weird.  He seems like a nice enough kid and every game you watch him play, you are bound to catch a phenomenal play or two...or three.  On the flip side, his brand of offense is way too Harden-like to be interesting and he has to be the whiniest superstar ever.  And maybe that would be forgivable but it effects his teammates on defense often and towards the end of every season, he'll be on the verge of a suspension due to technical fouls.  The kid is basketball savant but far too often we absolve him from blame because of the organization he plays for or the cast assembled around him.  Sometimes that might be fair but a lot of folks treat that like a blank check.  I don't think that does him any good and is a bit insulting to him as that treats him like a finished product when he has a ton of room to mature as a hooper.  When you are the face of a franchise, part of that burden is shouldering some of the blame when your team falls short and the team has fallen woefully short this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Didn´t take as much time for Luka to reach the post 06/07 Dirk stage of his career. Not even three month ago he was among the top three MVP contenders.
I guess success goes along with expectations. Mavs fanbase is a tough crowd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
(03-28-2023, 07:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Didn´t take as much time for Luka to reach the post 06/07 Dirk stage of his career. Not even three month ago he was among the top three MVP contenders.
I guess success goes along with expectations. Mavs fanbase is a tough crowd.

Always the fans fault.  Predictable. 

He is a company man or handles the ball too long?  Which is it?

Its impossible for Luka to change his game without ruining his game, right?  No one is asking Luka, a land creature, to be a dolphin and succeed at it.   Mavs or Luka need to tweak the offense to not so much Luka in regular season.   Its not asking a black and white television to produce a color picture miraculously.

I gave a critique with options...you just want to hate.  Significant existence.

There is no option for you.  You want it to be set up for as much frustration as possible to benefit you.   Coward existence.
(03-28-2023, 08:03 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Always the fans fault.  Predictable. 

He is a company man or handles the ball too long?  Which is it?

Its impossible for Luka to change his game without ruining his game, right?  No one is asking Luka, a land creature, to be a dolphin and succeed at it.   Mavs or Luka need to tweak the offense to not so much Luka in regular season.   Its not asking a black and white television to produce a color picture miraculously.

I gave a critique with options...you just want to hate.  Significant existence.

There is no option for you.  You want it to be set up for as much frustration as possible to benefit you.   Coward existence.

Existence is pain...
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Not an evil robot, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
(03-28-2023, 08:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Existence is pain...

coward excuse.

couldnt con me into believing in your war trash...so al you have is some hate tool left.  

coward trash.
at least Luka been playing so much better than trae especially this season despite team's record. people shouldn't expect too much from the same player even though luka is a historical talent without a doubt. luka ain't the best player in the league yet with the presences of alphabet, embiid and jokic but in a few years maybe luka will be the best.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukaMVP's post:
  • DallasMaverick
(03-28-2023, 08:50 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: coward excuse.

couldnt con me into believing in your war trash...so al you have is some hate tool left.  

coward trash.

This kind of post is both nonsensical and alienating to others.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL, Reunion Mav, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Just this morning I was on Reddit posting “even Capela and PJ Washington would make Dallas a pretty good team.”

43 for PJ tonight

Big game for Okongwu for Atlanta. I wonder if they’re ready to hand him the reins at Center and how cheap Capela would be in a trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • Reunion Mav
(03-28-2023, 10:10 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Just this morning I was on Reddit posting “even Capela and PJ Washington would make Dallas a pretty good team.”

43 for PJ tonight

Big game for Okongwu for Atlanta. I wonder if they’re ready to hand him the reins at Center and how cheap Capela would be in a trade.

Give us Capela, we take Collins. Collins is such a buy low guy. How long can it take to surgically repair that finger? 3-4 months? He´s back in November and if the finger is right, so is his shooting and you got a 20/10 PF/C +Capela.
(03-29-2023, 01:56 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Collins is such a buy low guy.

What makes you think that? Atlanta is obviously not willing to sell low on him, or they would do it in one of numerous windows he was supposed to be on the market. Unless you think there was no market for him.

Atlanta wants to win. Even if they are trading Collins, they would want quality players back and I doubt they would have interest in any of the overpaid players we have left to offer. Picks also don't do much for them.
(03-29-2023, 04:10 AM)omahen Wrote: What makes you think that? Atlanta is obviously not willing to sell low on him, or they would do it in one of numerous windows he was supposed to be on the market. Unless you think there was no market for him.

Atlanta wants to win. Even if they are trading Collins, they would want quality players back and I doubt they would have interest in any of the overpaid players we have left to offer. Picks also don't do much for them.

This is where the handling of Wood is approaching criminality...
Wood on a bit cheaper contract could be appealing to Atlanta IF he had been able/given the opportunity to produce with a team positive result. Not ALL of that is on Kidd, but a significant portion of negativity has leaked to damage his value. 

IMO it is going to take a market that is dry (near desert condition) of cap space in order for Dallas to recoup ANY value from C-Wood and that is most likely a S&T for pennies on the dollars value wise - My hope would be Atlanta is so willing to be shed of Collins to make this tenable. My fear is that the asset is shot, the damage is done and Wood walks without any opportunity for Dallas to "facilitate" his departure.

We are on a slow train to becoming Orlando of the 90s-00's. A place where great players are drafted and can't wait to leave.
(03-29-2023, 10:24 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: This is where the handling of Wood is approaching criminality...

Meh.  Houston was actively trying to give Wood away last summer and the Mavs were the only takers.
(03-29-2023, 10:24 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: This is where the handling of Wood is approaching criminality...
Wood on a bit cheaper contract could be appealing to Atlanta IF he had been able/given the opportunity to produce with a team positive result. Not ALL of that is on Kidd, but a significant portion of negativity has leaked to damage his value. 

IMO it is going to take a market that is dry (near desert condition) of cap space in order for Dallas to recoup ANY value from C-Wood and that is most likely a S&T for pennies on the dollars value wise - My hope would be Atlanta is so willing to be shed of Collins to make this tenable. My fear is that the asset is shot, the damage is done and Wood walks without any opportunity for Dallas to "facilitate" his departure.

We are on a slow train to becoming Orlando of the 90s-00's. A place where great players are drafted and can't wait to leave.

It's fascinating how Kidd's mishandling of Wood is translating into sky-high demand for his services elsewhere around the league.

Apparently, all the other coaches and front offices can also see how badly Kidd's coaching is impacting his otherwise near-all-star status.  So they lined up to try to trade for him (pre-deadline) or sign him outright this summer at a price that reflects his true value.

Not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • MFFL
(03-28-2023, 09:47 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: at least Luka been playing so much better than trae especially this season despite team's record. people shouldn't expect too much from the same player even though luka is a historical talent without a doubt. luka ain't the best player in the league yet with the presences of alphabet, embiid and jokic but in a few years maybe luka will be the best.

If Luka had Trae's supporting cast that team would probably be in conversation to win the Title this year.
In retrospect it seems pretty obvious that the moment they did the Kyrie trade they should have sat Luka down for an honest talk:

List we screwed up with Brunson. This team is simply not good enough as currently constructed. We realize this now. That´s on us. Therefore we acquired Kyrie as step one, but we do not have pieces to win this season now. If you follow our lead, we´ll have in four months. We need to shut you and Kyrie down for the rest of the year. Get you both physically and emotionally healthy, ready and fit for next year. We will tank into bottom six odds, so we can keep our pick to either draft a generational talent that will alter our trajectory or use the pick to improve our roster in other ways. Furthermore we´ll accelerate the developments of Hardy and Green. Finally we´ll use the future pick to acquire a starting PF/C. That´s our quickest path forward.
KP didn’t work here for whatever reason but in a different universe a healthy KP and Brunson at 4 for 55 with a healthy Luka , DFs, developing Green and Hardy is an interesting what if.  Plus all our picks.  We don’t make the west finals last year but might be a contender this year.  Maybe.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost