Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(03-09-2023, 03:01 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The offense just operates much better when there are 3 scoring guards in the rotation. Hardy needs to be developed as the 3rd one ASAP. That's how the Mavs were able to succeed with Luka/Brunson/Dinwiddie carrying the offense last season. It's obvious after almost 10 games that no matter what Luka and Kyrie do by themselves, opposing teams are not scared and that's including some non-playoff teams like Indiana, Utah, and New Orleans.

It's the same problem they've had all season...they just upgraded Dinwiddie with Kyrie but even then, it's still not enough.

It´s just nuts that they have gone away from Green and Hardy after the two game explosion. Hardy just needs minutes and he´ll look for his, but Green clearly likes to defer. They need to force him to be more active, even with Luka and Irving.That means design plays for him specifically, where he gets his shot.

Also Holiday -30 in 17 minutes yesterday. Genius franchise to push washed-up grandpas into minutes that should be played by younger/superior talent.
Will it happen?  Just read that Justin Holiday has played 547 minutes this season and has not made a free throw (0-2) for the year.  We could be witnessing history.
Was nice to see Bertans back, lasering some threes.

Clearly not the best athlete in the world, but always efforts on defense.
The way Kidd and the Mavs organization handles big men not named Powell and Kleber, it's going to be difficult to ever find any type of decent PF/C to want to come here and play with this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKid
(03-11-2023, 11:46 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The way Kidd and the Mavs organization handles big men not named Powell and Kleber, it's going to be difficult to ever find any type of decent PF/C to want to come here and play with this team.

Wood is really the only big who has been put in the doghouse despite being productive. I don't think this is part of a larger trend. They just don't like what he brings on defense. Maybe that's nitpicking given the other options, but I'm not sure I buy the whole idea they are trying to manipulate his next contract. It's pretty clear that benching him will only drive him off the team.

Now if the perception around the league is as negative as this board, I could see it hurting them. Otherwise, money and a starting spot talks.
(03-09-2023, 03:01 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The offense just operates much better when there are 3 scoring guards in the rotation. Hardy needs to be developed as the 3rd one ASAP. That's how the Mavs were able to succeed with Luka/Brunson/Dinwiddie carrying the offense last season. It's obvious after almost 10 games that no matter what Luka and Kyrie do by themselves, opposing teams are not scared and that's including some non-playoff teams like Indiana, Utah, and New Orleans.

It's the same problem they've had all season...they just upgraded Dinwiddie with Kyrie but even then, it's still not enough.

I just think the defense is so piss poor it doesn't matter how many points they put up on the board. Mavs can rattle off 15 straight and then go ice cold while giving up 20. 

Just not a recipe for consistent success.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump
Mavs are too small

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/03...too-small/
(03-14-2023, 11:54 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs are too small

I've been saying that. Teams like the Bucks that are big, athletic, and deep give them fits.
(03-14-2023, 11:54 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs are too small

Absolutely agree. They need to play bigger.  I thought the bigger lineups were much more effective last night. Maxi and Wood should start.  We should see some Maxi and Powell too. And then cut down the number of one big minutes, and when you do play that way, those are Powell’s minutes. The Mavs also need to shorten the stints that players are in the game.  Hockey is an extreme example, but they should sit Luka down earlier in the first.  Maybe get him three rest periods in a game, but without reducing overall minutes. The same with other players. Put guys in for five or six minutes and rotate them out.
https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/...27840?s=46&t=xNHF873rjt7IFVxyn62T2g
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
(03-16-2023, 05:55 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Absolutely agree. They need to play bigger.  I thought the bigger lineups were much more effective last night. Maxi and Wood should start.  We should see some Maxi and Powell too. And then cut down the number of one big minutes, and when you do play that way, those are Powell’s minutes. The Mavs also need to shorten the stints that players are in the game.  Hockey is an extreme example, but they should sit Luka down earlier in the first.  Maybe get him three rest periods in a game, but without reducing overall minutes. The same with other players. Put guys in for five or six minutes and rotate them out.

I am still mad we didn't prioritize one more bigger player at the trade deadline.   (either big wing or center).  It could have been a bandaid fix.   I am sure there are many different moving parts.   It appears Dallas really wanted to protect themselves in case Kyrie leaves.  I guess that is understandable.

This team isn't winning anything this season.   Even if they got another big man, they probably weren't a real threat.  But if healthy and if they had one big guy who is at least an average defender, a run was possible.    They are just too small now.   

But I agree with you, Wood should be thrown out there.  I understand what Kidd is thinking but that route isn't working with this group.    Maybe it is too late, but I would at least get more length on the floor more often.
(03-17-2023, 07:14 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am still mad we didn't prioritize one more bigger player at the trade deadline.   (either big wing or center).  It could have been a bandaid fix.   I am sure there are many different moving parts.   It appears Dallas really wanted to protect themselves in case Kyrie leaves.  I guess that is understandable.

This team isn't winning anything this season.   Even if they got another big man, they probably weren't a real threat.  But if healthy and if they had one big guy who is at least an average defender, a run was possible.    They are just too small now.   

But I agree with you, Wood should be thrown out there.  I understand what Kidd is thinking but that route isn't working with this group.    Maybe it is too late, but I would at least get more length on the floor more often.

Yeah I'm there too. Getting just 1 bigger wing could've made all the difference for this team. Either they didn't have enough ammo or probably didn't feel like what was out there was worth the asking price.

I think any team with Luka and Kyrie on it is capable of winning just because of their talent levels. A slightly more balanced team could be eking out all of these close losses and turning them into wins. Imagine if they spent their last first on Poeltl and Vanderbilt. I think they could've rattled off 7-8 wins easily with those guys.

Not sure if I am still totally for spending that much for role players, but merely pointing out the upgrades were there if the Mavs tried.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick
(03-17-2023, 09:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Yeah I'm there too. Getting just 1 bigger wing could've made all the difference for this team. Either they didn't have enough ammo or probably didn't feel like what was out there was worth the asking price.

I think any team with Luka and Kyrie on it is capable of winning just because of their talent levels. A slightly more balanced team could be eking out all of these close losses and turning them into wins. Imagine if they spent their last first on Poeltl and Vanderbilt. I think they could've rattled off 7-8 wins easily with those guys.

Not sure if I am still totally for spending that much for role players, but merely pointing out the upgrades were there if the Mavs tried.

Bitadze for Magic  +28 (Games with positive plus/minus 6/6)
Saric for Thunder +73 (Games with positive plus/minus 8/13)

Cost: One 2nd round pick.

Holiday for Mavs -74 (Games with positive plus/minus 1 of 9)
(03-17-2023, 02:26 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Bitadze for Magic  +28 (Games with positive plus/minus 6/6)
Saric for Thunder +73 (Games with positive plus/minus 8/13)

Cost: One 2nd round pick.

Holiday for Mavs -74 (Games with positive plus/minus 1 of 9)

Saric was one of the guys I thought could've been helpful but his defense looked so shot with the Suns that I understood why they didn't go for him. 

Holiday hasn't been a bad signing though, and I'm wondering why he's drawing your ire more than a guy like Morris or Frank.
C'mon guys, no one was (or is) giving away truly useful players that can make a difference. If you wanted to get yourself a bandaid of so-so quality, there were choices to be had at the TDL - and the prices were sky high.

On top of that, the Mavs didn't have much to work with, so IMO Mavs shouldn't be spending their few roster-building assets on bandaids. We talk about Siakam, then when he wasn't on the market after all, whine about not spending wildly on Sammy Scrub who might be more helpful for the moment than the crap they have. I think if they had, you'd regret it already.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
(03-17-2023, 02:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Saric was one of the guys I thought could've been helpful but his defense looked so shot with the Suns that I understood why they didn't go for him. 

Holiday hasn't been a bad signing though, and I'm wondering why he's drawing your ire more than a guy like Morris or Frank.

I merely pointed out his stats. Huh 

Morris and Ntilkina barely play.
(03-17-2023, 02:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Saric was one of the guys I thought could've been helpful but his defense looked so shot with the Suns that I understood why they didn't go for him. 

Would agree that it is not a big deal but...

Morris probably was a throw in. Frank at least has/had a clearly defined role. Looking at the on/off numbers his minutes on the floor are the only stretches that are at least above average on defense. By far the best defender on the roster.

The Mavs have/had a giant (DFS sized) hole in the front court. But they picked another SG/SG to compete with Green, THJ and Bullock instead of at least trying to find a bigger wing.
Wrong thread.
(03-17-2023, 04:52 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would agree that it is not a big deal but...

Morris probably was a throw in. Frank at least has/had a clearly defined role. Looking at the on/off numbers his minutes on the floor are the only stretches that are at least above average on defense. By far the best defender on the roster.

The Mavs have/had a giant (DFS sized) hole in the front court. But they picked another SG/SG to compete with Green, THJ and Bullock instead of at least trying to find a bigger wing.

True. Absolutely agree they are missing a giant DFS sized hole, but I haven't seen a bigger wing that has been available on the buyout market that the Mavs missed out on.

Omoruyi might be the only one remotely close. I think all things considered Holiday was as good of a signing they could've hoped for on the buyout market. Ross was my first choice but I don't think he would've been filling that DFS hole.

(03-17-2023, 04:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I merely pointed out his stats. Huh 

Morris and Ntilkina barely play.

My bad brochacho. I thought you were ragging on the Mavs better Holiday brother for a second there.  Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/163...6465213441
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost