Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
[Image: FoQNUmNaQAEUZX0?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, SleepingHero
That Bertans deal sticks out like a sore thumb yeeesh. 

My first inclination would be to find a way to turn him into any useable win under 20 mil a year, but it's hard to find a deal that makes sense.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(02-05-2023, 11:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That Bertans deal sticks out like a sore thumb yeeesh. 

My first inclination would be to find a way to turn him into any useable win under 20 mil a year, but it's hard to find a deal that makes sense.

I think your assets are better spent elsewhere.  I'd just leave Bertans as-is and look elsewhere for upgrades/better fits.
When is Maxi supposed to be back? His health, with the current roster construction, is vital to the overall success of the team.

Kyrie + Luka + Wood give you all the offense you want

Maxi and Green are real NBA defenders

THJ and Bullock are a coin flip on what you'll get each night

Powell wasn't playable last postseason and McGee isn't an NBA player. I'm not counting on M. Morris for anything.

That gives you a 7-player rotation in the playoffs. Lot of work to do before Thusday if the Mavs are indeed all-in like this Kyrie move indicates.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, mvossman
So the biggest question is:

Do you go all-in now?

I´d say Bertans + McGee + Mavs 2027 first top 6 protected for Bamba/Harris is an offer Orlando would accept.

Levert + Pinson + Mavs 2nd round pick to Phoenix
THJ to Cleveland
Crowder/Saric to Dallas

I guess Phoenix won´t do this, but if you do not want to extend Wood, then I´m 100% sure Phoenix does Crowder/Saric for Wood.

New positional roster (I know Irving starts)

Doncic/Irving/Ntilikina
Green/Harris/Hardy
Crowder/Bullock/X
Wood/Kleber/Morris
Bamba/Saric/Powell

Could work.
(02-06-2023, 10:00 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So the biggest question is:

Do you go all-in now?

I´d say Bertans + McGee + Mavs 2027 first top 6 protected for Bamba/Harris is an offer Orlando would accept.

THJ to Cleveland
Crowder/Saric to Dallas

I guess Phoenix won´t do this, but if you do not want to extend Wood, then I´m 100% sure Phoenix does Crowder/Saric for Wood.

Doncic/Irving/Ntilikina
Green/Harris/Hardy
Crowder/Bullock/X
Wood/Kleber/Morris
Bamba/Saric/Powell

Could work.
I think that's a championship caliber roster if it can be pulled off.
(02-06-2023, 10:00 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So the biggest question is:

Do you go all-in now?

THJ to Cleveland
Crowder/Saric to Dallas

Doncic/Irving/Ntilikina
Green/Harris/Hardy
Crowder/Bullock/X
Wood/Kleber/Morris
Bamba/Saric/Powell

Could work.

Mavs don't have any seconds left, so you can't send a second and you can't protect a first.  I don't think you can trade Pinson either.

You admit Phoenix wont do that first trade (which we can't do anyways) but put all of Wood/Crowder/Saric in your roster.
(02-06-2023, 10:28 AM)mvossman Wrote: Mavs don't have any seconds left, so you can't send a second and you can't protect a first.  I don't think you can trade Pinson either.

You admit Phoenix wont do that first trade (which we can't do anyways) but put all of Wood/Crowder/Saric in your roster.

I thought we had one second left? Anyway if the 2027 1st has to be unprotected, you can ask for three 2nd rounders from Orlando back. I´m sure they´d happily do that. That 2027 1st could be the top top pick and is easily worth three 2nd rounders.

I said I guess Phoenix says no, but it´s hard to tell. Crowder and Saric are both expiring and Crowder refuses to play for them. On paper Saric for Levert is a fair trade, but I think Phoenix overrates their position and leverage.

But let´s do it like that now...

Bertans + McGee + 2027 unprotected 1st for Bamba + Harris + three 2nd round picks.

Crowder/Saric to Dallas
THJ to Cleveland
Levert + three 2nd round picks to Phoenix
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41
This hasnt beent talked about much. What do we do with the Morris twin? Does he have anything left.
(02-06-2023, 11:49 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: This hasnt beent talked about much. What do we do with the Morris twin? Does he have anything left.

He certainly hasn't gotten a lot of minutes this year.   Cato thought he would get more minutes than McGee for the rest of the year.  Take that as you want.
(02-06-2023, 11:55 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: He certainly hasn't gotten a lot of minutes this year.   Cato thought he would get more minutes than McGee for the rest of the year.  Take that as you want.

He's the lesser Morris twin, so I don't know his game well. Can he catch-and-shoot? If so, he'll absolutely get minutes. 

Heck, if there aren't any more deals, I think he and Bertans are the only healthy 4's on the roster. Think about that!
(02-06-2023, 11:49 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: This hasnt beent talked about much. What do we do with the Morris twin? Does he have anything left.

He is a dirty player and I will just have to ignore him on the roster.  I hope he gets moved on or dumped.
I dont see a fit for him here. Did we get stuck with him in the negotiations? Or are we they planning on playing him? Not sure what they see there.
Morris the Lesser is shooting 40% from three this year at 10 mpg. He will absolutely get more minutes than McGee. He's better than half the roster we have left, unfortunately. I think you can reasonably pencil him in at around 9th or 10th in the rotation - depending on what other deals we do.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
(02-06-2023, 12:05 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I dont see a fit for him here. Did we get stuck with him in the negotiations? Or are we they planning on playing him? Not sure what they see there.

Again, he is one of only two 4's on the roster, currently. The other is Bertans. I think the "fit" is pretty obvious. 

I'm sure Kleber will play that position a ton once he's healthy, as long as the roster stays as is, but my hunch is that Morris is at least able to get himself above Bertans in the pecking order.
Another thing about MTL (my new designation for him) is that having him on roster keeps Luka's ankles safe for two more games a year...
Gotta feeling they’re about to start asking Frank to play that same undersized 4 role that DFS was playing unless there’s another move. Will be interesting what happens next.
Has he recovered from his last encounter with Jokic?

(02-06-2023, 12:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Has he recovered from his last encounter with Jokic?

Get into superstars' heads. I guess it means I'm evil, but I like it.
(02-06-2023, 12:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Get into superstars' heads. I guess it means I'm evil, but I like it.

Missed most of the season with a back/neck injury. Classic case of F around and find out.