Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
https://twitter.com/TheLaurenGunn/status...0982561792

[Image: FnrUGpdWYAIz9P7?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FnrUGpbXEAI49EN?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FnrUGpYWAAAeBh5?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FnrUGpiXwAYtkCD?format=jpg&name=large]
Mavs with positional size who won’t be played off the court in the playoffs:

1. Luka, Spence
2. Josh, Tim
3. Dorian, Reg
4. Maxi, ____
5. ____, ____

These guys are all multi-positional players. So it isn’t 100% necessary that additions come at the 4 or 5 spots. But it’s no coincidence that our big swings this summer were for Christian and JaVale.

My take, for what it’s worth, is that Dwight might be able to fill the backup 5 minutes in the playoffs. His defense is good enough against backups, and he can switch screens with the best of em. But Wood isn’t an answer at all. His defense will get him targeted, isolated, and benched. He’s the one that needs to be shopped in my opinion.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Okstate819
(01-29-2023, 06:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheLaurenGunn/status...0982561792

[Image: FnrUGpdWYAIz9P7?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FnrUGpbXEAI49EN?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FnrUGpYWAAAeBh5?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FnrUGpiXwAYtkCD?format=jpg&name=large]
Lauren Gunn is right about all of it. Hardaway and Frank on their way out. Wood must be re-signed. Why haven’t we done that already? Better be a deal waiting to be announced after TDL if he isn’t traded
(01-29-2023, 08:38 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Lauren Gunn is right about all of it. Hardaway and Frank on their way out. Wood must be re-signed. Why haven’t we done that already? Better be a deal waiting to be announced after TDL if he isn’t traded

She says she’d prefer the “potential Miami packages” for Tim.  Not sure we every figured out what those were with any certainty.  I did a search and nothing new since about 1/11 and some said it was Lowry based and some said it was Robinson based.  I didn’t find any solid reporting on this.  Just supposition tagged onto the reporting that Dallas and Miami discussed THJ.

Gunn talks about getting rid of Bertans while not wanting to use any of the picks or youngsters.  Good Luck.  If we got the Miami first in a THJ for Robinson deal, might we deal it to Detroit in a Bertans for Bojan deal?
(01-29-2023, 08:38 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Why haven’t we done that already?

I agree with the general points of the article, but perhaps she is too optimistic about the value of our guys. 

For example she is saying, FN should get us at least a SRP. Not sure at all about that, I don't think anyone would see him as a playoff piece and "tankers" don't need him. 

THJ had a decent stretch midseason but has been again awful in last 5 to 10 games. He is shooting an awful 38 % from the floor this season with 35 % from three. He is shooting 32 % from the field in the last 5... He is averaging just 13 ppg, his lowest average since 2015-16. He has two more years left on his deal. I find it difficult Mavs could convince someone he is a positive value.

Her proposal of McGee to Sacramento for Davis. Davis is expiring with just 4 mil. No way Sacramento takes 2 more year of McGee, imho. They can grab a vet min center (Cousins, Howard), who can be equally bad McGee has been. Besides, Sacramento is already overpaying Holmes and Len in the back up center role. I really don't know why they would need McGee in that mix. If anything, they could consider McGee for Holmes saving some money in the process.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
(01-29-2023, 09:59 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: She says she’d prefer the “potential Miami packages” for Tim.  Not sure we every figured out what those were with any certainty.  I did a search and nothing new since about 1/11 and some said it was Lowry based and some said it was Robinson based.  I didn’t find any solid reporting on this.  Just supposition tagged onto the reporting that Dallas and Miami discussed THJ.

Gunn talks about getting rid of Bertans while not wanting to use any of the picks or youngsters.  Good Luck.  If we got the Miami first in a THJ for Robinson deal, might we deal it to Detroit in a Bertans for Bojan deal?

If we wanted to clean up our cap sheet for 24, add some playmaking, creation and defense while doing it and make a little more room for the kids, we could do worse than Timmy + Bullock for Lowry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • omahen
(01-30-2023, 10:38 AM)mvossman Wrote: If we wanted to clean up our cap sheet for 24, add some playmaking, creation and defense while doing it and make a little more room for the kids, we could do worse than Timmy + Bullock for Lowry.
That’s the same situation happening in the FVV for THJ trades. Leaves the teams with much less ball handling.
https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/01...trade-nba/
(01-29-2023, 09:59 PM)omahen Wrote: THJ had a decent stretch midseason but has been again awful in last 5 to 10 games. He is shooting an awful 38 % from the floor this season with 35 % from three. He is shooting 32 % from the field in the last 5... .

Tank Commander.

Don't lose sight that our last Tank Commander, Wes M, was a big part of the trade for KP. And then has been on one good team after another. Other teams tend to look at under-performing players through rose-colored glasses, just like we do.
(01-30-2023, 02:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: And then has been on one good team after another.

For vet min, not 20 per. I would love THJ for vet min. NY obviously didn't see any value in Matthews other than his expiring deal
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • MFFL
NY actually waived Matthews after just 2 games...
(01-30-2023, 02:00 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/01...trade-nba/

I agree with this article.  I don't think we make a big trade and it probably isn't the right time for us anyway with our asset base.   But make a smart trade that shows Luka we know the F what we are doing while putting us in a tad better position moving forward.   That is my hope for this trade deadline.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman
(01-30-2023, 02:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: Tank Commander.

Don't lose sight that our last Tank Commander, Wes M, was a big part of the trade for KP. And then has been on one good team after another. Other teams tend to look at under-performing players through rose-colored glasses, just like we do.

Time to bring back NBA champion Justin Jackson. He spent the last few seasons with the Bucks, Suns and Celtics. Cannot be a coincidence. Success wherever he goes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • omahen
Mavs generate a ton of open shots. But Mavs are not really converting them well...

All Things Mavs on Twitter: "the two worst percentages on this list belong to OUR Dallas Mavericks ?" / Twitter
(01-30-2023, 02:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Time to bring back NBA champion Justin Jackson. He spent the last few seasons with the Bucks, Suns and Celtics. Cannot be a coincidence. Success wherever he goes.
For DFS, make it so!
(01-30-2023, 02:08 PM)omahen Wrote: NY actually waived Matthews after just 2 games...

... and a playoff team scooped him right up (with a guarantee of a starting job!). Then he signed FA deals with defending NBA champ with same plan - come be a starter for us.

Teams are often like we are -- thinking the guy that has played below their supposed potential on another team, will find his game again with a change of scenery. So they grab him.

I don't think THJ is any exception, and imo his declining contract has added appeal in a league where payrolls are skyrocketing.
(01-30-2023, 02:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree with this article.  I don't think we make a big trade and it probably isn't the right time for us anyway with our asset base.   But make a smart trade that shows Luka we know the F what we are doing while putting us in a tad better position moving forward.   That is my hope for this trade deadline.

Iztok is easily my favorite Mavs writer who always makes good points.  Totally agree with the lack of defense, the need to put Green in the starting lineup, the need to dump a big offense only contract (Timmy) and the need to get some defensive size.  He even mentioned Vanderbilt as a viable option.
(01-29-2023, 09:59 PM)omahen Wrote: If anything, they could consider McGee for Holmes saving some money in the process.

Cuban would have no interest in that, for the same reason that SAC would be eager to do it. No one wants Holmes contract.

But Holmes is no solution - instead of a bad big man sitting on the bench with $11M more owed (McGee), you'd be swapping him for a different unplayable big with $25M owed.
If they trade Bertans as a salary dump with a 1st or DFS, I assume Cuban is broke. Big Grin
(01-30-2023, 04:12 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If they trade Bertans as a salary dump with a 1st or DFS, I assume Cuban is broke. Big Grin
DFS, Bertans for Hayward and a first does work