Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(04-09-2024, 03:16 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: If the Suns can take both games with LAC... and DAL moves to 4th... and the Suns and Lakers end up 7th and 8th... and the rest of the table stays the same.... that would be great. 

MIN, DEN, OKC, DAL, LAC, NOP, PHX, LAL.

Those should be brutal match-ups between MIN vs LAL, DEN vs PHX, and OKC vs NOP, which can soften them up for the Mavericks in the next rounds.

That's wishful thinking. Mavs are likely locked in as a 5 seed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
The only thing left for us is basically to root for Minny in their game against Denver, which will likely determine the first place. I really don't like the idea of playing first Clippers and (if successful) than Denver in the second round.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 03:49 AM)omahen Wrote: The only thing left for us is basically to root for Minny in their game against Denver, which will likely determine the first place. I really don't like the idea of playing first Clippers and (if successful) than Denver in the second round.

That´s why we should lose intentionally to Miami today to give ourselves options. In case Denver wins and virtually secures the top spot, we can still try to tank ourselves into the 6th spot and the Wolves/Thunder bracket. If Minny wins we simply beat Detroit and secure 5th.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • mvossman, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 06:59 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That´s why we should lose intentionally to Miami today to give ourselves options. In case Denver wins and virtually secures the top spot, we can still try to tank ourselves into the 6th spot and the Wolves/Thunder bracket. If Minny wins we simply beat Detroit and secure 5th.

We have to lose all three and the Pels have to win all three to move in the standings.

Considering that the Pels play the Lakers, Warriors, and the Kings, I don't think they will win all three anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Mavs FOURTH in ESPN Power Rankings

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3990...ason-wraps
Like Reply
@townbrad

Doncic: "Having Kyrie here has been a blessing. Obviously on the court everybody knows what kind of player he is. Off the court he helps me a lot, not just me but the whole team. He knows how to win the championship. He's a very humble guy. Great guy.

"On the court and off the court, it's just been a blessing to be with him."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 06:59 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That´s why we should lose intentionally to Miami today to give ourselves options. In case Denver wins and virtually secures the top spot, we can still try to tank ourselves into the 6th spot and the Wolves/Thunder bracket. If Minny wins we simply beat Detroit and secure 5th.

I want to give you shit about tanking, but I totally agree.  OKC/Minnesota is a much better path than Clippers/Denver.
Like Reply

We should rest Kyrie, Luka and Gafford if it increases the odds of us avoiding Denver in the 2nd round.  Easy decision.

I'd prefer to rest Luka regardless.
Like Reply
Listening to a couple different shows on NBA radio while driving today. Both were discussing how Luka has upped his visibility in the MVP race. One was talking about how Luka/Kyrie was the most skilled backcourt in NBA history and defending it against all callers.

Fun to listen to national media talk about something other than Lakers, Celtics, 76ers and Knicks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply

I hope you don't think it's going to be a cakewalk if you draw either team.  I get that most think both teams are inexperienced as far as the playoffs are concerned, especially the Thunder. Minny has some playoff veterans in Conley, Gobert, and Towns (who should be back) a exceptional talent in Edwards, and good bench players in Reid, Alexander, and Slow-Mo Anderson.  I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy, and I don't make predictions about how a series will turn out.  Mavs have been playing great and at the right time. They have just as good of a chance as any other team to make a deep run in the playoffs. But I've seen fortunes change quickly as well. The playoffs should be very good this year, but until someone knocks the Nuggets off the top of the mountain, I'll be neutral in my assessments.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 03:13 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: I hope you don't think it's going to be a cakewalk if you draw either team.  I get that most think both teams are inexperienced as far as the playoffs are concerned, especially the Thunder. Minny has some playoff veterans in Conley, Gobert, and Towns (who should be back) a exceptional talent in Edwards, and good bench players in Reid, Alexander, and Slow-Mo Anderson.  I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy, and I don't make predictions about how a series will turn out.  Mavs have been playing great and at the right time. They have just as good of a chance as any other team to make a deep run in the playoffs. But I've seen fortunes change quickly as well. The playoffs should be very good this year, but until someone knocks the Nuggets off the top of the mountain, I'll be neutral in my assessments.

Gobert is not as effective in the playoffs and Kat is not a winner.  The Clippers have generally disappointed in the playoffs as well, but they generally start off well and then wear down.  Would much rather face them after a series or two.  On top of that, Denver is likely going to be in the one spot, and I would rather wait as long as possible to face them.  I would much rather face Minn/OKC than Cip/Denver.  It doesn't really matter as I don't think we can tank back to 6 even if we tried.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 03:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: Gobert is not as effective in the playoffs and Kat is not a winner.  The Clippers have generally disappointed in the playoffs as well, but they generally start off well and then wear down.  Would much rather face them after a series or two.  On top of that, Denver is likely going to be in the one spot, and I would rather wait as long as possible to face them.  I would much rather face Minn/OKC than Cip/Denver.  It doesn't really matter as I don't think we can tank back to 6 even if we tried.

I get all that, but this is a new year. Anything can happen.
Like Reply
My 2 cents: Clips are easily most vulnerable of the top 4. Go destroy them and then take all comers. If we can’t beat Denver in a 7 game series, it really doesn’t matter to me when we run into them. I say, get the young fellas experience against the best, at altitude, and we’ll be even better prepared next season.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 01:13 PM)mvossman Wrote: I want to give you shit about tanking, but I totally agree.  OKC/Minnesota is a much better path than Clippers/Denver.

There is almost ZERO chance of us sliding to 6th. Wanting to lose 3 in a row isn't smart basketball for a fan, player or coach. Plus NOBODY on the Mavs (especially Luka & Kidd) wants to deny Kyrie his million dollar bonus for the team winning 50 games. Are you wanting happy Kyrie to go away?

The Clippers are 4th and we are 5th. Its pretty much settled.
[-] The following 5 users Like MFFL's post:
  • Arioch, From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKid, RGP1981, Smitty
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 07:14 PM)MFFL Wrote: There is almost ZERO chance of us sliding to 6th. Wanting to lose 3 in a row isn't smart basketball for a fan, player or coach. Plus NOBODY on the Mavs (especially Luka & Kidd) wants to deny Kyrie his million dollar bonus for the team winning 50 games. Are you wanting happy Kyrie to go away?

The Clippers are 4th and we are 5th. Its pretty much settled.

So…

You’re saying there’s a chance!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
Clippers would have to lose their last 3 games for Dallas to move to 4. I don't anticipate that happening, but it could.
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 07:54 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So…

You’re saying there’s a chance!

LOL!
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 04:40 PM)The Jom Wrote: My 2 cents: Clips are easily most vulnerable of the top 4. Go destroy them and then take all comers. If we can’t beat Denver in a 7 game series, it really doesn’t matter to me when we run into them. I say, get the young fellas experience against the best, at altitude, and we’ll be even better prepared next season.

Agreed with you about the Clippers. 

As for Denver, I feel it's better to face them in the WCF.

If Mavs will remain in 5th, then the best outcome is Minny 1st, Clippers 4th, Lakers or Kings 8th.
Like Reply
Kyrie made it to 50/40/90 if he sits now that we clinched

15 total NBA player seasons of 50/40/90

4 players now with multiple seasons (Bird, Nash, Durant, Irving)

5 players with 1 season (including Dirk)
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(04-10-2024, 04:40 PM)The Jom Wrote: My 2 cents: Clips are easily most vulnerable of the top 4. Go destroy them and then take all comers. If we can’t beat Denver in a 7 game series, it really doesn’t matter to me when we run into them. I say, get the young fellas experience against the best, at altitude, and we’ll be even better prepared next season.

I don’t agree with the argument that if we can’t beat Denver it doesn’t matter when we play them. We have a lot of players with little or no playoff experience. The more the better. Plus matchup luck is a thing. The later we meet Denver the more chance (although small) that someone knocks them off. The best team does not always win. The easier your path the more likely you make it
Like Reply